“Lovely people - needs a deep clean”
Review of 17 Hundred 90 Inn

17 Hundred 90 Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Recently we stayed in the 1790 Inn in Savannah for a long family weekend. We found the management and staff to be wonderful and very hospitable. My only complaint is the condition of the rooms - they are well-worn. The carpet in our room had a large stain on it, the baseboards were cracked and in need of painting, and the vent in the ceiling was dusty. In the bathroom, the glass shower doors and jacuzzi tub were both grimy and mildewed. There is no way I would have taken a bath in that tub! Despite these issues, the linens were very clean.

If you are looking for a 4-star, perfectly-maintained hotel, this is not the place, but if you are looking for a charming old inn run by wonderful people in the heart of the historic district, the 1790 is definitely worth a look!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MamaSan_FL

Reviewed October 20, 2012

friendly and very curtious staff,clean well maintained room,food was great in the restaurant,my wife and i stayed for a week in june and will be going back for sure.cant wait to sleep with a ghost again.

1  Thank TAZTATTPETE
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great place to stay!! The staff was helpful and friendly. The updated bathrooms, central air and cleanliness were apprecated in this old Victorian Inn. We loved the creaks in the floor and narrow stairs case. It added ambience to this delightful inn. The only negative thing was fresh fruit was needed for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda3770
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

I'm always curious as to who will like the creaking floors and who won't. We've started recarpeting one room at a time and discovered the previous owners sought to quite the floors completely by covering the old hardwoods with plywood and then lay the carpet. We hope to begin stripping and refinishing the nice hardwood floor on a room by room basis soon. You'll have to come visit again and see our progress. They wont be too creaky, just enough to let you know the place is really that old.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our first trip to Savannah and I am so glad we stayed at the 17Hundred90 Inn. We loved the historic district and learning about the settlement of Savannah. Old Fort Jackson was very interesting as well. But the highlight of our stay was the inn and its propietors. They were friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to answer our questions and help with parking. When I chose this inn for our trip I didn't know it was haunted. Anna, Thaddeus, and the kitchen ghost did not make an appearance for us, but I am sure they are there.

We found our rooms very clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed the fact that each room was different but beautifully furnished with antiques. The last night we stayed we used a table in the breakfast room to play cards, even though it had already been set up for the next day. The staff graciously cleared the table for us and later in the evening let us order pie and coffee and tea. Both the key lime and pecan pies were excellent. Make sure you try them if you choose to stay in this inn. If we ever visit Savannah again, 17Hundred90 will be where I try to book first.

We had absolutely no complaints but two suggestions you might consider are fruit--bananas, apples, etc. would be a nice addition to breakfast, and a clock in the room would be helpful.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Jan Potter

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the inn and do hope you'll visit again soon. At your suggestion we have now added apples, oranges and bananas to go along with the cut fruits offered up at our complimentary continental breakfast. Thanks for the feedback.
And if you liked Fort Jackson be sure to see Fort Pulaski on your next trip.
See you next time.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I'm hoping Patrick will be posting my story soon! Lots of ghost activity including a picture of an orb in our house. I thought that they were attentive owners when we had concerns they addressed them within 12-24 hours which is reasonable period of time. I found the house and furniture to be in good condition and I loved how much dresser and closet space we had. My sweetie loved the bed so much because he slept so much better on it than the one we have at home. The jacuzzi hot tub was a blast. I thought breakfast was perfect. We were doing alot of walking so we needed the carbs. Cute little muffins, orange juice, cheese danish, and croissants. Fresh coffee and milk as well. Our room was cleaned upon our request otherwise we were left alone except for the ghost in my story and the picture of proof!!! I may cut and paste it in a review later. We had a designated parking space that I loved because I had a brand new camaro and it was protected by large brick walls. Its a very peaceful town and great to slow down your life for a bit here. I hope we will be back very soon!!!

2  Thank Jolie A
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Glad you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We are rather proud of rooms 311 and 312 which are new additions to the property. And very glad we had a private spot for your new car. We look forward to your next visit...and maybe another ghost encounter.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My best friend and I stayed at the Inn recently. This was our first trip to Savannah and it did not disappoint. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Jill at the front desk is amazing! She was so kind and patient with us, since we had lots of questions about the city, etc. She even let us view the haunted Rm 204 before the next occupants checked in. While we were in the room I ran my evp recorder and got several evp's! Middle of the day, no question about it--very awesome if you are into that! Patrick, the owner was also extremely nice and helpful! You would never have thought he was an owner, our first day he even parked my friends car so we wouldn't get ticketed. Nowadays, who does that? My only comment would be to change up the breakfast. It doesn't need to be fancy, but maybe getting in touch with one of the many local bakeries and having them deliver fresh bakery items? Even just some great bread rolls with jam or some fresh baked scones? Regardless, we booked our next trip and reserved another room at 1790. Thanks for making us feel at home and welcome, we will be back next October!

Room Tip: The haunted room 204! Your in Savannah, why not? We actually stayed in rm 206 (204 was booked) and t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Quite exciting to have detedted some EVP's!! Next time you visit you'll need to be sure and book room 204.
And we've heard other comments about our simple breakfast and have added apples, oranges, and bananas to the table along with the chopped cantelope and honeydew and pineapple medley that we cut fresh every morning.
The mini -croissants and Morning Glory muffins are baked locally at Joe's Homemade on Waters. We do also offer a small variety of sweets - mini-crescent rolls and pastries that are store bought, just to satisfy those with a sweet tooth like mine.
See you next fall.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The 17Hundered90 is known for it's ghosts. We had heard about the hotel on our last trip to Savannah, and when my sister and I decided to stay somewhere we booked the room well in advanced. Room 204 is the allegedly most haunted room, and boy does the hotel staff say it every chance you get. Our room was featured in a lot of ghost tours, so at night photos were being taken (it's on the second floor so no peeping toms), which wasn't too annoying. We were also being asked during our stay if random people could come into our room, which got annoying. We did not have any ghost sightings, but that was obviously not the hotel's fault.
I felt that they focused too much on the ghost(s), and not enough on the fact that it was a hotel. While our bed was being made every day, there was not much else being done to our room. No refills of shampoo, or anything like that. There is a book in the room that guests are suppose to write in, and one, several month back wrote that "boo" was written on the mirror, well it was still written on the mirror at our stay. The furniture was also quite dated, but not antique. My sister felt that the carpet was too thick making it feel unsanitary, in my opinion it was just outdated.
They had a little breakfast every morning, which was light. Cereal, some breaded items, milk, and juice. We thought you had to pay for it at first, but it was complimentary.
The hotel is located near the main area of town, and in a good location. We enjoyed being able to walk everywhere. There is very limited parking, but we were able to grab a spot at the end of the first night, and they also offer 7$ parking passes on weekdays (it's free on weekends for the meter).
We ate at the hotel one night, the food was good, but not great. My vegetables were over-seasoned with pepper, but my stuffed peppers were very good. My sister got jambalaya, which she said she enjoyed. The honey biscuits were a great treat.
Because the hotel is also a bar/restaurant we did have some intoxicated folks yelling outside a few nights, but they eventually went away.
Overall, while we enjoyed the stay, but I will probably stay somewhere else next time around.
Also as a side note, Savannah is not very wheelchair friendly, and this hotel did not have any elevator that I was made aware of.

1  Thank Heather D