“Value in the Historic District”
Review of 17 Hundred 90 Inn

17 Hundred 90 Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We planned on being in Savannah on the nights of the 18th and 19th and March, not knowing what a big deal St. Patrick's day was in the city. As we started looking for a room in the historic district, we were disappointed in the availability for the weekend and taken aback by the prices.

I took a gamble on the 17 Hunderd 90 Inn, given the mixed Tripadvisor ratings, but at $139/night for the weekend vs. $225 or more for most other hotels and B&Bs in the historic district, it seemed like a good gamble.

Pluses:
Location - In the historic district and close to the river. Inn has free parking available. Hard to beat.
Price - Compared to other B&Bs in the historic district, this was only about half the cost.
Lounge and Restuarant - The in-inn lounge was comfortable and friendly. The restuarant was good for the one meal we ate there.
Room - Large, comfortable room with good bed and bath.

Minuses:
Breakfast - Boxed ceral, muffins, coffee and juice. Slim Pickings. On the second day, there were English muffins but no toaster - only a microwave. Pathetic. However, for the $100+ per night savings over other B&Bs, you can almost buy breakfast, lunch and dinner and still come out ahead.
Room - The room (202) only had a skylight - no window. Also, the air conditioner was noisy and temperature ranged from chilly to too warm during the night.

Overall, the experince was good. With even a moderate breakfast offering, this would be a good deal.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DGKalina

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed and dined at the Inn for New Year's Eve. We just wanted something to walk back to after the fireworks instead of having to drive home but sadly we wondered if we should have.

Most hotels were booked when I was checking for last minute availability - the Inn had not jacked up their prices for the day as the standard hotels in the area were $40+ more for the same night. We like the part of downtown the Inn is at - a couple of bnbs, and businesses, but mostly residential and not a big hotel where you were fairly certain to deal with revelers. I ran by to check out the room before I booked it - it looked very nice at first glance (maybe room 205? onthe top floor) - functional gas or electric fireplace, standard traditional room and bath aside from that. The Inn has 3 floor - first floor incl. Pub & Restaurant, 2 & 3 floors with rooms, no common area to lounge in. As far as I know, there isn't an Innkeeper that lives at the property. Normally they serve a continental breakfast but there was a wedding on New Year's Day so they said we might expect a buffet. I left with high hopes of a nice stay!

On check in (at the restaurant front desk) - we were not very surprised that things were a little crazy on New Year's Eve - we were told that they'd try to fit us in for dinner since we hadn't made reservations. We were shown to a different room than the one we booked - 105 - this evening's hostess said the fireplace in that room hadn't worked in a while - the carpet needed replacing and the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling... not sure if the room I was shown was much nicer or if I just was wow-ed by the fireplace and didn't notice the other details.... either way, we told ourselves, it was still a good rate and we'd be out most of the evening. They didn't know what was going on for breakfast yet.

We were told to sit at the bar and order drinks and appetizers and they'd fit us in for dinner. The drinks and appetizers (pulled pork sliders & crab stew) were good - we would stop into the pub again. I wish they'd have turned us down for dinner - I ordered the pecan encrusted grouper with veg and risotto on the side - I ate the veg... but the risotto was awful and luke warm, and I couldn't finish the fish as it smelled funny and tasted funny at one end and I was scared to get sick. We finished the meal off with a blood orange cream brule - normal tasting brule wasn't bad but we missed the orange flavoring... and this may be my misunderstanding but I didn't think the creme was supposed to be runny?? We were saddened that this was the new management since we'd heard so many times about new management making the place better... and we were finally risking it.

We went back to our room to watch a little tv after dinner and it didn't work... with the craziness down in the restaurant, we decided not to ask for help fixing it. Instead we listened to the tv in the room above us - we swore that hard of hearing elephants must have been in that room with the tv, the loud voices, and the marching - the floors were REALLY squeeky... they had to have noticed every time they stepped on a loud beam as we had to raise our voices.. we went out for the evening and hoped we'd be getting back after the elephants had gone to bed - they hadn't... must have been the groom in the wedding the next day with all the pacing for hours... he HAD to have heard the noise the floor was making.... we debated driving home.... The next morning we didn't wait for our alarm to go off as the floors woke us. We packed up and ran down for a surprise breakfast to find the staff running around in wedding preparations. I eventually found someone to ask where the breakfast was and was told it'd been moved to the bar - there were yogurts, crescents, cereal, melon, and jam on two pub tables - I found someone to ask for the drinks to be refilled and for butter - orange juice and milk were refilled and later coffee came around.

On check out i suggested that the next time the carpets are pulled up, that the floors need to be better screwed on the remove squeeks and I was reminded it was a 200 year old building... but I insisted something could be done as we have at our own home- and was told the carpet was the works to be replaced (not sure if that was for our room or the one above ours) - between that and having been shown a different room with a functioning fireplace which the hostess said may have been her fault when she showed it to me, she kindly offered to discount the night's stay.

If you're daring or are on a budget and are insistent on trying the 1790 Inn out - I'd suggest a room on the top floor, being sure it's not while they have a wedding going on, and only have drinks and appetizers... we don't know if we can go back for anything but that.

1  Thank gcatmap
Reviewed December 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the 1790 in October 2010 after the new owners took over and then again the weekend of the 2010 Savannah Christmas Tour of Homes and Inns. The Inn is located in an ideal spot for walking to the River front and other historical spots. The new owners are very friendly, are working to improve the Inn, and want to make your stay enjoyable. The restaurant food is good, the piano music on the weekend is great, and the pub has a very nice atmosphere with two fireplaces and couches for relaxing while you enjoy your spirits and conversation. If you time it right in the afternoon, you will have an opportunity to chat with the locals that frequent the pub. Do not worry about the subject, the range is wide. Now before you sit at the bar be sure to ask the bar tender if you are in some one's special seat, it's a lot like "Cheers". Oh, one extra point to remember. If you are a female, do not go into the kitchen. There is a female ghost that once cooked there and she does not like other women in her kitchen. Just ask the chef about flying pans. Our stays at 1790 have been enjoyable, we have several more planned, and we have recommended it to all that we know.

3  Thank jof7290
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Our recent stay at this historic inn was not only intriguing, but pleasant with excellent service and comfortable accommodations. I visited with my husband for our sixth anniversary and stayed two nights at the inn. We enjoy paranormal investigating as a hobby, so we chose to spend both nights in the room claimed to be haunted by Anna Powers who supposedly jumped out of the window to her death after being heartbroken by a sailor. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly woman who checked us in, helped us park our car, and escorted us to our room. They had the fireplace going in anticipation of our arrival. I suppose if you have a poor attitude and are expecting resort-like accommodations, you may be disappointed by the interior, but it was exactly what I had expected. I was hoping for preservation of the historic elements and was not disappointed in the least. The carpet and furnishings appeared antiqu-ish, which was pleasant to me. I imagine it was similar to staying in a bed and breakfast, although I've never actually done that. Yes things things were old, but isn't that the point of staying in an inn that you know was built over 200 years ago??! We ate dinner there the second night and we were. Both very pleased. It was pricey, but the at,sphere was great, and ,y husband said it was one of the most delicious meals he had ever eaten. Our waitress was great, and the same kind woman that checked us in, seemed to keep an eye out for us the entire stay.
As far as the 'ghost' goes, we saw a little activity. On saturday, we went out for a walk around Savnnah and turned off the fireplace upon leaving. When we returned it was still off. After trying to make contact with Anna for a little while, restarted talking about how we thought she may not be haunting the place at all. About that time, the fireplace lit up on it's own. This is a gas fireplace which has a light switch on the wall by the door to ignite the flames. We w ere both shocked when the fireplace came on, but even more amazed to find that the switch had been flipped to the "on" position (basically ruling out possible pranks from employees below). I also awoke to the bed vibrating the second night, accompanied by a feeling of moderate nausea. Also, we got a photo of an orb in front of the fireplace in that room, and an even larger one down the hall. Overall, a very pleasant stay, which was both romantic and paranormal, with historic appeal well preserved.

5  Thank Ghostgal1204
Reviewed November 23, 2010

17Hundred90 Inn has two claims to fame- Savannah’s oldest inn and the site where Anna Powers either jumped or was pushed to her death from room 204. In either case, neither of these claims seems true. What is more disconcerting is the appalling state of the hotel and the abysmal service found presently.

My wife and I stayed there at the tail end of a vacation in which we booked ourselves into as many “haunted hotels” as possible. The 17hundred90 Inn was not our first choice, but it was fairly affordable and according to its well crafted web site, looked like it would not only be romantic and beautiful, but hauntingly fun. Not so.

After booking online and receiving confirmation a couple of days later, I got an email a couple more days later informing us that our room, 202, was no longer available and we were being put in the Guest House. I called the hotel and asked what was going on since no one had bothered to return my email. The receptionist was polite and helpful, but claimed she knew nothing about the email and that in fact, our room was still reserved for us as originally planned. She said that emails sometimes got sent out like for no apparent reason. I guess we were to surmise it was Anna Powers at the keyboard instead of incompetent staff, but we were left to deduce that ourselves.

Upon check in, we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful, Jackie. We were impressed by the lobby area and gorgeous dining room and anxious to get back down for our dinner reservation later that evening. On the way up to our room, I noticed the sad state of the interior with carpeting that looked like it was made in 1790 and smelled like it too. Everything about the place conjured a handful of words- dingy, dank, neglected, sad, shameful. After carrying our luggage to our second floor room, we could not get the key to work in the lock. We were given three keys and none would open the door. I wanted to play it off as Anna Powers having some fun at our expense, but I had a gut feeling it was more of a negligent hotel issue than a supernatural occurrence. We returned to the lobby and the ever helpful Jackie escorted us back with a master set of keys and a spare. We were issued the spare set after they successfully worked on the lock and Jackie left us to our room. I was immediately unimpressed and soon after discovered the main draw to the room had been decommissioned without any notice given. The queen-sized bed was originally positioned under a skylight/mirror that could be controlled by the user for the desired mode. We thought that would be a romantic and fun feature for the stay and was the main reason that room was booked. The bed was on the opposite side of the room and all that was left in its original place were stains and indentations on the ratty carpeting. It appeared that the mirror had been disabled, leaving only the skylight and no explanation as to why.

The room was sad and dumpy with peeling wallpaper that looked older than my parents. The appointments were spartan at best with a cold snack bar that was plugged up to the electrical outlet with nothing inside nor any way to get inside. The bed was semi-ornate, yet fully squeaky. The bathroom looked like the kind at a truck stop with rusting fixtures and stained appliances. The fireplace with gas logs would not light. The most exciting thing about the room was an event guide that allowed us to find attractions that would ultimately get us out of the hotel- a real score.

Eight o’clock arrived and it was time for dinner in the much touted restaurant downstairs. Again we were greeted by the affable Jackie and immediately shown to our table. The room was lovely with a blazing fire and dimly lit tables replete with linen cloths and a grand piano and attractive art on the walls. It didn’t take long before the romance and zeal left like a ghost in the night. Our server immediately struck us as having just started at the inn and after a few minutes we speculated she may have just started waitressing at all that night. She spilled something on the couple next to us and took collectively 20 minutes to serve us our two drinks. We were first served a thumbnail-sized slice of hard toasted bread and a dish with more butter than bread on it. She brought the appetizer at the end of the meal and the wimpy, pathetic salad in place of the appetizer. She seemed to mean well, but after dropping nearly a hundred dollars on dinner and drinks, it wasn’t much solace.

I ordered the salmon with crab and asparagus tips which came with the aforementioned woebegone salad. It came with a whipped sweet potato which was probably the best part of the dish. The salmon was decent, but the crab could barely be found atop it. The asparagus was shriveled and unappetizing and I had to discard what looked like a cricket that had dropped into a deep fryer nesting near the side of the food. The presentation was haphazard and grease and food debris were smeared across the edges of the plate- maybe it was Anna Powers? My wife had an unremarkable shrimp with pasta. By dinner’s end, all we wanted to do was hit the bar for another round of drinks to help forget about the meal. There we were served by the only other redeeming feature of the whole inn, Mary, the bartender.

Again, Jackie deserved accolades for helping find us a ghost tour during the later half of the evening. She made several calls on our behalf and finally reserved a pair of seats on the haunted hearse tour of Savannah. Many thanks, Jackie. The tour was top notch and our driver was both hilarious and sobering with his no nonsense approach to telling the real haunted history of Savannah.

The next morning, after nothing supernatural during the night, we were famished and had high hopes for the included breakfast. We were joined by half a dozen other guests in the dank and dimly lit breakfast room to find a small table with a few tiny boxes of children’s cereal, muffins the size of a half dollar and a quart bottle of spoiled milk. We found out the milk was rancid after my wife took a partial swallow- only to run to the restroom to expel it. We told the young hipster receptionist about the rotten milk and promptly made our way out of the restaurant, but not before noticing the receptionist returning to update her Face Book status on the hotel computer before retrieving the spoiled milk. We left the hotel immediately and set our GPS to the nearest Cracker Barrel and never looked back.

8  Thank NameOfTheRoses
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

The 17hundred90 is under NEW ownership. We took over just one month before this guest visited. Many of the rooms were in a sad state of disrepair. To date we have completed renovations and repairs to 15 of the 17 rooms. We will hopefully complete these last two before Labor Day. The wallpaper in 202 is gone. The room is now painted in a pleasant seagrass green. There are some true antiques and a four-post bed with fresh new linens. The carpet ceratinly does need to be replaced but we have held-off there. In the adjacent room we uncovered original hardwood floors. With a little more time (and a little more profits) we look forward to stripping the carpet and refinishing the old heart-pine wood floor.
The skylight did have a mirror to close it off. The motor that moved it is broken. We rather easily fixed the one above room 206. And we have had many happy guests. Fixing the room 202 mirror is a bit more challenging but we will get there.
The room keys are on a master set. Many guest go for the top deadbolt on the room door neglecting our instructions to use the key in the door handle. The door handles stay locked as you leave the room for the security of your belongings. The top deadbolts may be locked by the guests from inside the room for more added security rather than those simple flip-bars at most chain hotels. We wouldn't want the housekeepers to disturb an afternoon nap.
Even though we advertise ourselves as "Inn and Restaurant" instead of "B&B" we still get confusion over breakfast.
We certainly have made mistakes along the way. We're new. We're learning.
Please read our other reviews. You'll see we are getting better with age.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

My boyfriend and I have visited Savannah, GA a few time now and we absolutely love it there. A year or so ago we went on a haunted tour there and the tour stopped by the 17 Hundred and 90 Inn. The bar downstairs was very quaint and the tour guide told us some interesting stories about the place. We decided the next time we came we were going to give the Inn a try. We decided to just spend one night there because it is a little pricy. We stayed in room 204 (the haunted one) and when we talked in it was really hot. The air wasn't working very well. The water bottles that were on the mantel for us were empty....I was very shocked. They were left over from the people before. The carpet was disgusting and the bed wasn't made all the way. We decided to just go have a drink and not make a big deal out of it. We got back to the room later on and it was just so incredibly hot in there and it is August. Could not sleep, wanted water and did not have any. They give you a key for the fridge that is supposed to have stuff in there, but there was absolutely nothing in there. Woke up at 4am and couldn't wait to get out of there. At 6:00am we decided to just leave, but when we went to checkout no one was there. We had to wait for the "Inn keeper" to get there to check us out. When she finally arrived she was very rude and it seemed like I was bothering her. I was so disappointed I had to just try and forget about it because it was driving me crazy, especially for the price. It is a complete tourist trap and they should really be ashamed. ALSO...when we were taling a pedicab down there the guy driving us told us the Inn had a very bad reputation among locals...I was like great! Highly not recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamiemg03
1790innkeeper, Owner at 17 Hundred 90 Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

The 17hundred90 is now under NEW ownership as of October 1st, 2010. We have hired and are training a more courteous staff. There are multiple renovations to the building that are currently under way. The 17hundred90 has a long history as Savannah's oldest Inn and Restaurant. and was once one of the city's finest It has been neglected for some time but we hope to restore it to its former glory and undo the recent smudge to its reputation.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

My grandson wanted to conclude his 2010 Summer with a haunted tour and a haunted hotel stay in Savannah. I booked Room 203 at the 17hundred90. That is how you book...by the room you want. The room with the most "activity" is Room 204. It was a sultry hot July evening when we arrived, but the room had been kept cool. The bed was comfortable, and my grandson found the day bed to be comfortable as well. Electrical outlets were easy to reach, the shower had adequate heat and pressure. The continental breakfast is somewhat abbreviated; not quite enough to begin a day of walking. Parking is limited, arrive early. There is no elevator, so call ahead if you need an accessible room. The staff was very helpful and friendly. For ambiance and convenience, this place was great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family