“We highly recommend Hamilton-Turner for a wonderful visit to a beautiful city!”

Hamilton-Turner Inn
Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed February 1, 2010

My husband & I stayed at Hamilton-Turner Inn for a business meeting in December, 2009. This was our first visit to Hamilton-Turner and a very enjoyable one. We have stayed in Savannah many times but never in this location and on this square which we found to be particularly charming. Upon arrival, we were immediately impressed by the architectural integrity of the building. Additionally, the interior has been thoughtfully and beautifully preserved. Our room and bathroom were very spacious and comfortable and anything we might have needed was available to us. The staff were gracious and helpful. We look forward to going back in the near future!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank curlew09
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed January 23, 2010

We had the chance to stay at the Hamilton Turner over the holidays. The Inn was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The staff was very welcoming and informative. The location couldn't have been better. We were in walking distance to wonderful shops and restaurants. Stuffed French Toast for breakfast in the morning was fabulous. We would definitely come and stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank AimeeT1820
Reviewed January 19, 2010

i stayed a few years back and was very disappointed when the owners daughter let it slip that Bob Villa got to stay in main house while my pup and i were relegated to the carriage house. aside from it needing a little sprucing up. it was a fine stay(.a bit overpriced) i liked having the little courtyard to enjoy a glass of wine. but what i didn't like was knowing that if only i was a celebrity too...i would get better treatment.the rest of the travellers weren't really my type...a bit stuffy..so it was fun to sit on the floor & enjoy my glass of wine & chat w/ the lovely daughter. i won't stay here again when i return this Feb.i think i will try a different place. the owners just seem a little...burnt out!! oh, and my breakfast was rushed & not great..your a B&B it should be one of the highlights!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
6  Thank travelpom
Reviewed January 12, 2010

My wife & I had a wonderful time at Hamilton Turner. The room was very well appointed and the staff was incredibly friendly, particularly the innkeepers. Breakfast each morning was delicious and evening hors d'oeuvres always hit the spot. Plus, the location was incredibly convenient to downtown Savannah.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 11Clover
Reviewed January 4, 2010

After paying for the entire Carriage house (and paid an extra $85 for the inclusive us of the shared living room), I received the most degrading and accusatory letter from the Innkeeper stating that "observations" were made that I broke their policy of my Maltese using their furnishings and my nurse (I am a cancer patient) sleeping in the sofa. As uncomfortable as it was, after paying over $1600 for the Carriage House and not even being able to have my nurse sleep in a roll-away bed or sofa, I agreed to have her sleep with me in their queen size bed but asked for extra blanket. Their manager Susan refused! My Maltese was never left alone in the house and sat on the nurse's lap when she watched TV. In the Innkeeper's letter, he cited that this was using the furnishings! None of his accusation were founded but it was important the owner cover themselves with the line that "they can charge me for damages as a result of my stay". The bathroom already had a hole in the wallpaper before we came, the toilet seats were all marred before we got there, the silk plants were old and dusty and beyond their beauty, the marble-top coffee table was heavily stained before we even used it...and I can go on and on with what needs to be fixed. On our check-out, the only one around in the morning was the cook who checked us out. What a wonderful way to welcome an ADA cancer guest and family who are trying to build cherished memories. Hospitality here is but a veneer. I have been in the hospitality business for over 30 years. I know true hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
37  Thank GVSBethesda_Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I feel like I just checked out of Disney’s Haunted mansion. In fairness to Disney the staff would never treat a guest they way the owner & night manager have treated us. I have read the other reviews obviously if you have pets or children your stay will be a nightmare. We booked and prepaid in full the John Habersham. We told them we had 2 Shitzu we asked for early check in but was told no. When we checked in we were told they were upgrading us to a larger room. To the right side of the front desk is a door going down to the lower basement with 2 rooms facing the Front Street & park? The room we were given was Pulaski. The room was a shoe box, extremely small. it was clean and the décor was very nice. The claw foot tub was a very small & old. The shower water was very difficult to regulate. Mattress was very hard and firm, Bare minimum in bedding.The Furnace is in the closet left of the beds headboard. The temperature was in the 40s so it was running. We had to listen to it all night. The next morning we were woken at 7:10 am as we were directly under the breakfast dining room and had to listen to people walk across the floor and move their chairs. If someone goes up and down the stairs you can hear every step. They were so concerned about our dogs disrupting guests we were woke up at 7:10 am like it or not. No concern for us. We had an outside entrance and we listened to the horse drawn carriages full of tourist on tour go by every ½ hour. If someone locked their car you could clearly hear their beep from the keys. We had dinner reservations we left our room around 7:25 at 7:34 we received our first call from the night manager and spoke to the owner. Quote” as soon as you left your dogs started barking you will have to come back here and quiet them we are concerned they will disrupt our other guests.” We said we would be right there and were surprised as they were so good for the whole trip and all the other Inns we stayed at and never had a problem. The layout of this house is ground floor pet friendly rooms. Second floor was the breakfast room, small kitchen, Parlor, office, one suite Mercer. Which I looked at as the door was opened and it was unoccupied. The third & forth floor housed the other rooms. Do you really think the third and fourth floor could hear my little Shitzu’s bark? Give me a break. The owner has no compassion for dogs and they definitely should not call themselves dog friendly. I explained to the owner I felt the horse drawn carriage was causing the intermittent barks from my one dog. I asked if the room I originally booked was in the back and not facing the street. She said it was on the side of the home and was out of service. I questioned “Out of service”? How could you sell me a room that was out of service just a few hours earlier? I felt if I wasn’t facing the street and hearing ever sound form the traffic my dogs would be calm. At this point I asked for a refund and would find another hotel. She said absolutely no refund as I already checked in. My husband and I returned to the Inn .The doorway at the top of the stairs was open so my dogs probably heard the night manager & owner talking. I asked them if they could keep the door closed until we had dinner. The owner said no! Very firmly! She said quote” First it is the horses and now it is us give me a break” How rude she was and condescending. She left for the evening and never even said good night to me. I asked if the other guest across the hall from us checked in yet they also had a dog. Susan the night Manager said they were checking in around 10:00 pm. I asked if they would keep the door closed until the other guests arrived.. She did.. We went to dinner. The next morning I took my dogs out for a morning walk, the owner pulled up got out of her car and glared at me. Mean no smile, no good morning! I looked at her and said Good Morning! I had to be the bigger person and greet her! The moral to this story is if you have a dog stay elsewhere and if you’re from the North and looking for that Gourmet Southern breakfasts they boost about forget about it as that day it was a Vegetable Frittata with feta cheese. No meat, No other choices .Sounds Greek or Southern Mediterranean to me. Surely it was not A Georgian southern breakfast and by no means gourmet? Where was the country ham, biscuits and grits? Where was the southern hospitality? One thing is for sure it is not there! We should have stayed a forth night in Charleston.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
26  Thank bbsadie
Hamilton-Turner, owner at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

At the Hamilton-Turner Inn we pride ourselves in providing the finest accommodations and service. We are happy to be one of the premier pet friendly inns in Savannah. To ensure the comfort of all of our guests we have all of our pet friendly rooms on our lower level with private entrances into our courtyard or the front of the inn directly across from Lafayette Square park. We are located right in the heart of the historic district so there are numerous tours that go by the inn, the carriage tours typically run until 9pm at the latest. We are proud not to be just another inn located in Savannah, but rather an authentic part of Savannah history itself. It is this authenticity that draws these tours to come by our property and in part adds to the charming experience of our guests.

We go out of our way to provide exceptional service and luxury accommodations. In this case we were able to provide an early check-in by upgrading this guest to a larger, more comfortable room. The room that was initially reserved was available, but wouldn’t have been available for an early check-in as was requested.

Our pet policy is designed to maximize the comfort of all of our guests, and is listed on our website, explained over the phone, and every guest travelling with a pet must sign our pet policy upon check-in. As a AAA 4 Diamond and Select Registry inn we always have activities going on in our parlor and dining room, these amenities include our morning coffee set up and full gourmet breakfast, afternoon tea and sweets, early evening wine and hors d’oeuvres, and late evening port. Guests enjoying any of these numerous amenities in our parlor or dining room would certainly be able to hear dogs barking downstairs. We have a responsibility to all of our guests to ensure their comfort.

We are a historic inn so not all noises can be avoided, however there would be no noise coming from our breakfast room or parlor before 8:00am when our first breakfast seating begins.

As a 4 Diamond inn and a Select Registry property we adhere to the finest standards of quality mattresses and bedding. Our inn is inspected at least once per year by AAA and Select Registry and has always received the highest marks in all areas. We feature triple sheeted bedding with high quality thread counts that rival the quality of Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, and any other predominate standard of luxury in the world.

The full gourmet breakfasts offered are top notch and are featured in many of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Our Vegetable Frittata is served over stone ground Southern Grits and is specifically praised in a Tripadvisor review that was posted on Nov. 13, 2009. Our other offerings include Eggs Benedict with Country Ham, Stuffed French Toast, Southern Biscuits and Gravy, and several other local favorites. We have a daily buffet to accompany these items, which features a variety of fresh fruit, homemade muffins, granola, yogurt, and on the day in question fresh made Southern biscuits.

In keeping with our high standards for service and accommodations no one at the Hamilton-Turner Inn would disrespect any of our guests in any manner and any indication to the contrary is simply untrue. Our fine Southern hospitality and service are featured in many trip advisor reviews.

Reviewed December 17, 2009

I've stayed in Savannah a number of times. As they say "Location, Location, Location". And the Hamilton-Turner Inn is perfectly situated - right across from a park, close enough to a number of great restaurants, but not TOO close some of the commotion of the Riverfront.
The staff at the Inn were extremely gracious. I was greeted as I entered the beautiful foyer as if I were a good friend. It really made me feel at home - without having to take out the garbage.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business