“New owners are wonderful!”

Hamilton-Turner Inn
Ranked #2 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Texas
“New owners are wonderful!”
Reviewed April 10, 2006

I could not have forseen the change in ownership from the time I booked our stay to the time of our visit. I also cannot imagine a more gracious host and hostess than the new owners of Hamilton-Turner. After only 10 days of ownership they proved to be the perfect hosts and so very helpful in every aspect. They are experienced innkeepers and their experience shows! The breakfasts were something out of Bon Apetit! Perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. The home itself is magnificent. The new owners are in the process of "spiffying" up the place which will only make the experience of staying there more memorable. The afternoon wine and hors d'ouvres gave us the chance to meet our fellow "Inn-mates" and share the days experiences. I can't imagine staying anyplace else more beautiful and charming than Hamilton-Turner.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank darlinbeck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We love to spend time in Savannah and have always stayed at the Hamilton-Turner House.

Jane, Christine and wonderful Staff make each visit special.
We always look forward to our return visit with them.

They make Savannah our home away from home.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 17, 2006

We had no idea that our stay would be so delightful. This was our first trip to Savannah and for our Saint Patrick's Day stay and celebration, we chose the quaintness of the Hamilton-Turner Inn in the historical district. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, yet maintain the historical décor. Each day started out with a lovely breakfast in the dining area and each evening started with wine and hors d’oeuvres in the parlor, all wonderfully prepared by Chef Diane. The entire staff is very friendly and helpful, and did their best to assure our stay in Savannah was the best ever. For our next trip to Savannah, the Hamilton-Turner will definitely be at the top of our list. Thanks for a wonderful time, Larry & Judy.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank AlaLEW
Ontario
Reviewed March 10, 2006

February 2006. The Hamilton-Turner Inn is a majestic old mansion, lovingly restored into a magnificent B&B. It is featured on tours as the first home to receive electricity in Savanna! My wife and I had reserved one of the small ground floor suites on the basis of price (each had a private walk-out to the exterior, a nice touch) but once we had seen the scale of the suite on the second floor with light streaming into the interior through a huge 15 ft.?? bay window - we just HAD to pay the difference for the experience and the memory. Staying two nights was nice as we could really explore the city and this inn is perfectly located - right in the Historic District. We could park and forget the car if avoiding Thursdays. Do take a trolley tour on day #1 to get your bearings of the area. The second day you can use it a shuttle.. stepping on and off at will. Try lunch at the SOHO Cafe-perfect! One night we walked the 3 or 4 blocks and had a perfect dinner in the cozy pub downstairs at the Pink House. A great meal with a huge fireplace and piano accompaniment. Very memorable! Our highest rating to the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

10 Thank Warren in Oakville
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Hamilton-Turner Inn and we just can't say enough about it. The Inn is just beautiful (antiques, woodwork, architecture) The rooms were so CLEAN - honestly the SMELL was WONDERFUL - clean, pressed bedding that was dreamy to sleep on. The hosts were as gracious and accomodating as they could be. I must say the chef, Diane, was a delight! Not only did she cook a divine breakfast, as well as hors doerves and sweet treets, but she was as warm and friendly as her cooking was delicious. We absolutely recommend this Inn as the place to stay in Savannah and we can't wait to return.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Loganville
Reviewed February 20, 2006

On our first trip to Savannah, we stayed at the Hamilton-Turner. Everyone from the owner to the housekeeping staff were friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. The furnishings were lovely and the turndown service at night with Chef Diane's lovely cookies, muffins, etc. was quite an added bonus. Chef Diane worked wonders in the kitchen making her signature dishes. Baked peach french toast was exquisite as were the sweet potato pancakes. She was very knowledgeable about the Savannah area as well and was so personable that you felt like your best friend was making your breakfast. She was always willing to accommodate special requests as well which is truly appreciated by those who are on special diets. Thanks so much for a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank Susan B
Marion, IN
Reviewed February 16, 2006

This was my first experience at a bed and breakfast and I can't say enough about how wonderful it was. I was in Savannah for a training Institute at the DeSoto Hilton. We were offered conference rates at the DeSoto, but I chose instead to stay at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, which was within easy walking distance of the DeSoto. I was able to take advantage of the weekday business rates, which put the pricing of the Inn at the same price as the conference rate at the DeSoto. I brought several people I met at the conference over to see the Inn, who were staying at the DeSoto, and they were quite jealous of my accommodations.

The room I chose was in the carriage house. Both the main mansion and carriage house are furnished in antiques. While I loved the elaborate, museum quality furnishings of the mansion, for a five night stay I was happy in my choice of the simpler, "homier" furnishings of the carriage house. Another lady and I spent a rainy afternoon in the cozy living room of the carriage house studying for our certification exam.

Diane, the chef, was a wonderful lady. The gourmet breakfast surpassed expectations. Each evening guests are asked to choose breakfast the next morning, which usually consisted of a choice between something like a sausage and egg dish, or gourmet croissants cooked like pancakes with fruit and lemon sauce with bacon. Or, you could request eggs to your liking. In addition there was a fruit cup and choice of juice, and some mornings, a basket of assorted sweet breads.

In the evening, the hor de overs (sp?) were scrumtious. They were so good, it was hard not to fill up on them and skip dinner. Which wouldn't be a good choice because the restaurants in Savannah are so good. I did not have a poor meal the entire week.

For dining, I recommend the Pink House(best grouper dish I have had in my life, reservations recommended), Six Pence Pub, and the pizza place at the City Market (can't remember name, but is popular local choice), which is the best pizza anywhere, IMO. The Pirates House is touristy, but worth eating at because of being the oldest restaurant in the country, and you can look down on the tunnels where they used to drug the men who drank in the tavern, then shanghai through the tunnels to crew the ships who came to the port. Also, there are a lot of restaurants along the waterfront. Savannah really knows how to prepare seafood.

Everything in historic Savannah is pretty much within walking distance. It is a lovely city, and I can't think that there could be a better choice to stay than the Hamilton-Turner Inn. I look forward to returning someday.

14 Thank Pam R