“It lives up to its AAA 4 Star rating”

Hamilton-Turner Inn
Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 29, 2009

The Hamilton Turner Inn is flat out the best over all inn my husband and I have ever stayed in! It's beautifully decorated and pristinely clean, and the "extras" are fantastic -- bottled water that is replenished daily, chocolates upon arrival, wonderful Southern breakfast, afternoon ice tea/lemonade and sweets in the parlor, complimentary hor d'oeuvres and wine from 5:30-6:30, cookies with the turndown service, etc. Abby, the concierge, was so friendly and helpful. At breakfast, they serve the coffee hot (deliciouis coffee) and keep replenishing it before it can ever get cold (some inns serve it luke warm ), AND they let you reserve a time to eat, so there is no wait for a table. While you eat breakfast, the maid cleans your room, so there is no knocking on the door later. Two boxes of tissues in the bathroom and two rolls of toilet paper, which are immediately replaced when one is empty (yes, we've had to ask for toilet paper to be replaced at other inns). Great toiletries are provided -- just like in a fine hotel. We stayed in the spacious Button Gwinett room for its king bed. It was very comfortable and quiet. The only slightly odd thing was that there was no mirror in the room -- only a mirror above the sink in the bathroom. Beware if you have problems going up stairs -- they are very steep. The staff goes out of their way to see that you are well taken care of, and they are more than happy to make restaurant reservations/suggestions for you and to arrange tours. My husband and I had to leave early to catch our flight back on the final day before breakfast was served. They offered to pack some muffins for us! No parking at the inn, but we didn't have any trouble parking on the streets beside the inn. Pamper yourself by staying at the Hamilton Turner Inn if you come to Savannah. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank winediva53
Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed March 30, 2009

My fiance and I had planned a romantic wedding in the historic district of Savannah on 3/22/09. It was recommended for us to stay at the Hamilton-Turner on the night of our wedding. We booked the room 6 months out. We called to confirm the room a week out from the wedding. I also explained to them that I was getting married that day and asked if I could check in earlier than the 3pm check in. They said it was no problem to check in around 1pm or 2pm. As I was getting my hair done for the wedding, my fiance checked in and proceeded to bring our luggage plus my wedding dress and my daughter's dress so we could get ready at the Inn since this is where the horse and carriage was picking me up. To our surprise, when he arrived for check in, one of the inn keepers became very upset and rude and said that "we don't do brides here". Now I remind you, this is AFTER I had called a week before to let them know that I was getting married that day and asked if I could check in early before the wedding ceremony. After a discussion with the inn keeper, they agreed to ALLOW me to enter the building (keep in mind, this is AFTER we already had paid for the room) to put my wedding dress on. When I arrived with my daughter, the inn keeper arrived at the door and proceeded to make yet another scene about them "not doing brides there". She then saw my daughter standing with me and rudely stated that children were not allowed. Now this I can understand, HOWEVER, this was not listed on their website. Had it been listed, I would have never booked there. After explaining to them that I had to be ready in a 1/2 hour and asked if they could just give me 10 min. to get my daughter's dress on, they continued to refuse my daughter's entrance and said "I don't know what to tell you." I was forced to call a friend to come pick us up and to FIND a place to change into our wedding dresses. This in turn delayed everything ! Because they immediately charge your credit card when you book there, we were forced to stay there that night since we had already paid for it 6 months prior. The next morning we woke up around 8:30am and called down to let them know what time we would be coming for breakfast (this is what was asked of us). When we called, they told us that it was too late for breakfast. Now you would think after spending $400 on a ONE night stay, they would be a little more accomodating to their guests needs. What they need to do is change their website to reflect all of their rules and regulations. We stayed at several places in Savannah including another bed and breakfast and they were ALL so wonderful to us and our guests. This was the most expensive place we stayed at and the most disappointing. Several of our vendors that we used for the wedding were appalled to hear how we were treated and had stated that they were contacting all of their contacts and would never recommend this most EXPENSIVE, MOST UNACCOMMODATING, UNFRIENDLY PLACE.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
29  Thank SmilesChicago_IL
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This place should be in decorating magazines! A fortune was spent on bed linens, draperies, etc. - beautiful colors and fabrics. Would love to just live here! The innkeepers - Gay & Jim - and staff - Abby, Susan & David - bent over backwards to accommodate our every need and desire - true southern hospitality. David cooked the best breakfasts and the presentation was similar to what you would see in a book. We were extremely impressed with this place. Our #1 B&B used to be in Maine; this place now takes over as #1 to us! The carriage house is perfect for a group but would stay in the house if not part of the group. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatchestheCat
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We enjoyed three wonderful nights at the Hamilton-Turner Inn. The location is great and the innkeeper and staff did all they could to make our stay very enjoyable. The inn is very elegant and our room was very comfortable.

Breakfast was excellent as was the afternoon tea, lemonade and sweets, and evening port. Although the afternoon tea is usually iced, the staff asked if we would like hot tea after we returned from a walk on a chilly afternoon.

A laptop was available to anyone who requested it. Additionally, videos are available to use while a guest at the inn.

We would definitely recommend this inn and would stay there again if we returned to Savannah.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2009

From beginning to end - perfection. The rooms are beautifully decorated and everything is clean and organized. Staff is most accommodating. They made dinner reservations for us at local restaurants and had lots of helpful information and suggestions for walking around Savannah. Breakfast was outstanding. The wine and hors d'oeuvres were popular and guests gathered to talk and share recommendations for restaurants or sights. Jim and Gay Dunlop certainly deserve the "Four Diamonds Award" they earned from AAA. We wished we could have stayed more than two nights so we will have to go back!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mac073
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I can't say enough about this Inn. The accomodations, the food, the service...it was all wonderful. First of all the place is absolutely gorgeous and in a beautiful location. We were treated like royalty from all the staff and the food was spectacular. A wonderful place for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Wow what can I say! After spending a week in Hotlanta for convention my wife and I were looking forward to our first trip to Savannah. We booked the Hamilton Turner because we saw it featured on $40 dollars a day with Rachael Ray. We were disappointed to find out that they no longer offered a complimentary afternoon Tea service. We booked the General Nathaniel Greene suite. It was absolutely beautiful. The staff was extremely pleasant at check in. The room was very comfortable and very clean. We had plenty of room and felt like we were at home. My only complaint was with the air conditioning. It was over a 100 degrees outside and humidity was 93%. The air conditioning had a hard time keeping the room cool. I had thermostat set at 69 and a/c was struggling to keep room at 74. My wife was actually comfortable with no complaints about the heat, but it was a little hot for me. Included with your room is a wonderful breakfast. The first morning we had stuffed french toast. Our second morning we had Eggs Benedict that was amazing! They have a complimentary laptop with built in wi-fi that you can check out at front desk. We used it to look up some flight info for our return. It was very convenient to have that available instead of having to use a community computer in a business area. My wife and I also enjoyed the evening Port offering. It was nice sitting in the room sipping a glass of Port and discussing the day. It was one of the most relaxing get a ways that my wife and I have ever been on. Thanks to the great staff at Hamilton-Turner Inn!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MikeTRB