“Fine old house with charming southern hospitality and attractive rooms, but be aware of note in comments”

Azalea Inn & Villas
Ranked #4 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Azalea Inn and Garden occupies a fine Victorian house. The rooms, if ours was a representative sample, are appropriately charming and comfortable. The inn's manager, Shannon, was effusively welcoming and helpful. She recommended and made reservations for us at a superb restaurant. She also, during our breakfast seating in the morning, gave a humorous and lively guide to a mural that encircles the dining room.
But, dear reader, how shall I put this? If you were traveling let's say in Bavaria, and you came upon a charming and immaculate Gasthaus in which however was prominently displayed, let's say filling a panel of a mural in the dining room, a bold swastika, what would you think? Would you shrug this off as a mere provincial tic? Or would your impulse be to leave post-haste?
I ask because in the mural at the Azalea Inn and Garden features the Confederate flag substituted for the swastika. Your call.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the house, with a deck overlooking the pool. Very nice.
1  Thank Hume V
Azalea_Inn, Owner at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

We would like to thank this reader for his very nice review of our inn and his praise of Shannon’s “Lively” conversation regarding the murals in our dining room. I am however surprised that he found one of our seven murals to be offensive and more disturbing is that he likened the Confederate flag to a SWASTIKA! Heavens! Surely, Gentle Reader, you understand that a Confederate Flag is not the same as a Swastika. One is a symbol of the absolute genocide of a group of people. The other is taken from a time in our history that almost rendered our nation asunder. In the context of our murals this one scene is but a portion of the seven murals which trace the history of our beautiful city.

There is not a Confederate flag flown from this house. The owners are not members of any Confederate alliance, and are in fact not Southerners. They are simply Yankees who fell in love with the beauty of the city, the kindness of her people, and the vibrancy of her fabric. As declared Savannahians we have learned to embrace the rich history of this beautiful Georgia city to include the impact of the Civil War on her people. We are often questioned as to how Savannah survived Sherman’s march to the sea and share the wisdom of Savannah’s leaders in surrendering. Not many visitors realize that General Lee presented Savannah to President Lincoln as an Anniversary present. The murals in the dining room tell a tale of Savannah’s founding and history, shows Indians, rebels (we were considered rebels by the English during the Revolutionary War) and the founder of the Girl Scouts, Juliette Gordon Low.

The murals were created by some students from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in early 1996. The inspiration for these murals were pieces of local art. Art students are a quirky bunch, and these two took delight in hiding little “surprises” within the murals. The lower left corner of the Civil War mural shows a cannon and nearby a soldier holding a piece of paper. Closer inspection shows the paper reads “Cannon Instructions”, followed by the numbers 1, 2,3 which are illegible and finally 4 – which reads BOOM. The tour of murals continues and at the end the guests are left to discover a few more hidden “oddities” including the character from the book “Where’s Waldo”.

We are innkeepers, in the South, in a beautiful friendly city, at a magnificent bed and breakfast, who are passionately in love with not just our city, our inn and our jobs, but with our history, the good, the bad and the ugly. So come on by and let us take you on a tour of the murals, and try to find Waldo!

There are newer reviews for Azalea Inn & Villas

Reviewed April 19, 2014

From the time of the booking to the day we drove back home, the Azalea Inn staff or should I say family made this an unforgettable stay and the perfect stay to experience a Savannah first visit. We weren't sure what to expect since this was for my wife and I our first experience on a b&b; but we couldn't be happier with the time we spent at the Azalea Inn, it truly felt like visiting family for the weekend, something you will never experience at a big hotel/resort. The property is a time capsule of everything you could expect of the Savannah architecture and lifestyle but including a beautiful pool backyard, we had a special treat when I mistakenly booked the wrong weekend and they accommodated by moving us to different accommodations every night, we were celebrating my wife's birthday and because of this they were able to turned a potential inconvenience into an unforgettable unique experience. There are plenty of other things that made our stay unforgettable but you will have to experience for yourself to see how this wonderful place run by the friendliest people can be a unique opportunity to experience true southern comfort. Our warmest regards to Teresa, Jake, Shannon, Madi, Morgan, Diane, Miss Betty and our best friend, Joey. See you soon.

Room Tip: Every room is a different experience but Huntingdon Garden at the second floor is a must for your vi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hector-Jennifer
Azalea_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Well, this review put us over the moon! Thank you for enjoying the room changes instead of feeling it was an inconvenience. We do the moving for you and we also agree that it makes the stay a bit of an adventure being able to experience the different rooms when it does happen. Our entire focus is to make your stay as memorable as we possibly can and we are thrilled that we were successful with that goal. We try to give a full service experience with restaurant suggestions and concierge services to make it all as perfect as possible. What a lovely comment about the time capsule of everything you could want or expect in Savannah! We loved that! And Joey is the highlight of many guests! We have all had to get used to taking a back seat to adorable, 4 pound Joey! We can’t wait for you both to return and experience more fun times in Savannah and with us at the Azalea Inn! Be well!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had recently stayed at the Azalea Inn and I was going to give it 4 out of 5 stars, because it is a Bed and Breakfast and I’m not much of a B & B kind of guy (I don’t think most guys are anyway). However it does deserve a 5 star rating, there was nothing I found in my stay that gave me reason to demote it from 5 to 4 stars. My room, although not what I had pictured in my mind, was very nice. I stayed in the Magnolia room which had a balcony overlooking the pool. It was very nice and relaxing to sit on the balcony with a glass of the delicious wine available in the dining room and gaze at the pool, even though there was a torrential downpour and thunder. The sheets are to die for.
The hors d’oeuvres were delicious and so was the breakfast. The breakfast I had consisted of grapefruit, caramelized French toast and turkey bacon. My enjoyment of the meal was highlighted by the mural of the history of Georgia in the dining room. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and I can’t forget to mention Joey the 13 year old Yorkie who enhanced my experience.

1  Thank Bill D

Imagine our delight to get this wonderful praise from a guest, and to be honest, a male guest!! You are so right, men don’t always enjoy the details as much as women, so this was an extra pleasure for you to take the time and detail what you liked and especially the comment about keeping the 5 star rating!! We loved that! Hopefully it means that you are converted now to a B&B kind of guy! We really loved the comment on the sheets!! Thanks for noticing all of these things that we all put so much effort in to, trying to be sure everyone has a wonderful stay. Thanks also for the feedback on the mural that was painted by SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) students many years ago. It is a real conversation piece and something that we love. Savannah is so full of history and the mural is just one example of some of that history, as well as some humor thrown in there as well. Joey is definitely our little special ‘employee’, truly welcoming each guest and visiting throughout your stay. He will be happy to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Property was great. Pool is a bit to short for swimming, but great place to cool off. Breakfasts were delicious as well as treats and wine in the afternoon. Then sherry and treats after dinner. All staff were wonderful, room was terrific and kept very clean. Public areas were so very pleasant to sit in and enjoy the time. Front porch was a most pleasant place to sit, relax and watch the world go by. The Riverwalk and Factors Walk very walkable. Historic house tours and fine restaurants are just up the street. For three days we never got into our car until we left. $5 per day parking in the adjacent lot was unexpected. I've never paid for parking yet at the many B&Bs we have stayed in. Krogers was just down the street out of sight. Teresa and her staff know their business. My wife and I would definitely go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Traveler333999

Well, it is so nice to hear all of your wonderful comments and feedback. We try to make your vacation experience memorable and your noticing some of our attention to detail really makes our day! Cleanliness is a huge issue with us, so it is great to have it noticed and appreciated! We also strive to have delicious food and treats each day and are happy when our guests enjoy them, so thanks for that also! The porches and balconies are very relaxing to us as well and one of my favorite things is to sit and people watch and also wave to the Trolley tours that pass. Savannah does have a lot to offer in the way of history, tours and delicious food, whether it be fine dining or casual. The parking lot is not owned by us, but a portion rented for the use of our guests and we do offer the choice of parking in the lot for the minimal fee of $5 daily or parking on the street for free. It is just a convenience to do exactly what you two did and just leave the car and not have to worry about moving it for street sweeping night, etc. There are several hotels and Inns that charge for parking and all of them are $12 - $15 daily, so we are trying to keep that as low as we possibly could, just off-setting that cost for us, not covering it completely.
And yes, we even have a grocery store very close, as well as a great liquor store, so we do have it all! Thank you again for choosing to spend your vacation here at the Azalea Inn and Gardens with us. We hope that you come back to enjoy more sightseeing, walking and relaxing.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Having not been to Savannah in 35 years I was a little suspicous of my memory. I was not disappointed. The Azaleza Inn & Gardens were perfect. We have stayed at Inns and B & Bs all over the world and this was one of the nicest. The staff could not have been nicer. Thank you Theresa(owner), Shannon and Brook for everything. If you go out to Tybee island, stop at Geralds Pork & Seafood for lunch. Unassuming place but great food and ice cold beer. Overall I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Shannon, next time we'll bring two cases with us.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Forsyth Room and we were very pleased.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mjmsbm23611

So glad beautiful Savannah did not disappoint! It is a gorgeous city that you can do as much or as little as you want, with lots of choices! We are also thrilled that you praised us so highly as well. Thank you so much for the wonderful comparison to other fantastic Inns around the world! Gerald’s is one of our personal favorites as well, with the limeades being the best EVER! Glad you enjoyed that too. Tybee Island is another unique, fun part of Savannah, being only 20 minutes down the road to our own little beach paradise! We cannot wait for you to return and continue your adventures and your cases…..

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Our stay at the Azalea in was very nice. The room was beautiful with our own balcony overlooking the pool. Bed linens were fantastic. I ended up buying a set for our bed at home. Staff was so very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent and the afternoon wine and goodies were a welcome treat after a full day of exploring the city.

Location is within walking distance of the major attractions and there is parking off street right next to the Inn.

1  Thank hotelsnobMadison_WI

We are so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and also the balcony, which is one of our favorite features in the Inn. Another feature that we also love is the super soft bed linens from the Comphy Company, so we always love to hear that guests enjoy those also. Hopefully each time you crawl into those soft sheets you will think of the Azalea with fond memories! And the sweet comments on the staff are so kind, so thank you again! We know vacation is so precious, so we do try and make your stay as memorable as possible, with delicious food and service. Luckily the city itself is a big bonus with all of the historic sites and fun things to do, so we just build on that! We so appreciate you choosing the Azalea and hope that you return for more fun!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

First let me say that I am a VERY critical (some would say too critical) consumer. I expect people to provide excellent customer service 100% of the time. Funny, that expectation is too high anymore. The Azalea Inn exceeded those expectations. Took my 5 months pregnant wife to Savannah for our last trip before baby and stayed at The Azalea Inn. Our experience could not have been better.

Arrived late, so I had to call ahead to make preparations. The I keeper left a key to our room and instructions for checking in and breakfast, and generally made our late check in extremely easy. Super nice on the phone, then met her in the parking lot beside the inn as she was leaving. She introduced herself, and was absolutely wonderful. (FYI, the lot beside the inn is not theirs, but they have arrangements with the owner for $5 per night, off street parking. DO IT.)

We stayed 5 nights and it was the most relaxing trip we've ever had. Stayed in the Magnolia Room, which was great and had a wonderful, large private balcony and a PHENOMENAL mattress (from my wife who doesn't sleep well. She said it was the best sleep she's had in a while). Wifi provided no charge, refreshments close by, and homemade treats downstairs (apple crumble bars were awesome). The rest of the rooms were beautiful as well (we got to see some of the others when folks checked out).

We were able to pay for our lodging, our parking, and our bus tour with one swipe. The staff made reservations for is at restaurants before we even arrived, the called the shuttle for the bus tour, and tended to our every need/concerns. Breakfast was awesome and different each day. First course was usually baked fruit of different varieties. Second course hearty and delicious as well (and they made me scrambled eggs when something didn't look like it would mesh with my picky appetite). Coffee and OJ aplenty.

Teresa was absolutely wonderful. Lively, entertaining, and attentive. Loved the stories. Katie was excellent also (chef-in-training), and very attentive. Didn't get the names of the other three--innkeeper and two concierge staff, but all were EXCELLENT--and that is a strong statement coming from me. Would absolutely recommend this Inn over and over again. Everything was EASY! Oh so easy. A block and a half off of Forsyth Park, and a 5 minute walk to restaurants and shopping, plus all the other squares within the same distance. Job well done Teresa!

Room Tip: Magnolia Room was excellent, loved our private balcony. Only a 1-person shower, no tub. Other rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justin O
Azalea_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Well, let me first say THANK YOU!! When you started out with the fact that you are a bit ‘critical’, I have to admit I was a little nervous! Imagine my absolute delight reading your review! We do try very hard to make your stay as perfect as possible, even trying to tailor it to whatever the guest’s needs seem to be. If relaxation is what is wanted, we keep that in mind with suggestions, etc. If people come ready to go, go….then we are happy to help accommodate them also. It is wonderful that you were able to have a great vacation before the baby arrives and life will become slightly more chaotic!

The bedding issue is super important to us. Not only a super comfy bed itself, but the linens need to be really soft and cosy also. We do feel that we have done this really well, and love to get the feedback from guests to reassure us that we are accomplishing this. We also are able to order sheets from the Comphy Company and have them shipped directly to you if you are ever interested.

So thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed, great review. This is so helpful to other potential guests who are wondering what to expect. We look forward to seeing you both when the time comes for a little alone time, away from the little one!! Good luck with the new baby!