“Elopement friendly”

Azalea Inn & Villas
Ranked #4 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My sister and I had the pleasure of joining an elopement wedding event at the Azelea Inn. We found all the staff to be very friendly. I especially enjoyed talking to the owner about her family's military service. The food was excellent, with the next morning's offerings posted in the dining room. They were more than happy to fix a standard egg and bacon plate for one of our party. I loved the evening sweet offerings (I asked for several recipes and they were happy to share), and the cheese and wine nibbles in the afternoon. I too enjoyed the lotion, shampoo, and body scrub. I did find the lack of individual room thermostats to be inconvenient - I thought the temperature was a little too low. The room furnishings were tasteful and in keeping with the period of the house. I had a great night's sleep and can't say that I was bothered by any noise even though we were on the ground floor at the front of the house.

Room Tip: Don't chose the ground floor if you want to control your own thermostat, but you can't go wr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy H
Azalea_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

We are so happy that the bride and groom chose the Azalea Inn & Gardens for their special day and also so glad that you could join them. Thanks for the kind words about staff and food! We try very hard to make things as perfect as we can no matter what the occasion, but a wedding is such a special time for a couple. We are very supportive of the military and host Veteran’s in the house for Veteran’s Day and throughout the year, with a program that we spearheaded called Respite and Renewal, specifically for Purple Heart recipients. We love that guest’s like you appreciate and show an interest in the military background that we have and love to continue to support our veterans.
Thanks too for noticing our special lotion, shampoo and body scrub. We really pride ourselves on having these wonderful products and are always happy when guest’s notice! We will be updating the downstairs, as we have already done with the upstairs so each room has individual thermostats. Hopefully the next time you visit that will have been completed!!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My friend and I had a lovely time in this B and B. The owner and staff couldn't have been friendlier and more welcoming. We arrived at 1 pm, and the room was ready for us. The place is absolutely charming - the dining room and living room are wonderfully inviting - beautifully decorated with just enough whimsy to make it interesting (murals in the dining room of Savannah history painted by students at SCAD!) Breakfasts were terrific, and little amenities like sherry in the sitting room, cocktail hour from 5 to 6, and deserts waiting for you in the evening! The room was lovely - an incredible bed and a small but perfectly fine bathroom. The garden at the back beautifully done, with a nice small pool to use after long hot afternoons touring. I wouldn't have wanted a different neighborhood to base our touring - in the historica district away from the noise of the river walk, but perfectly walkable to anything in town. My friend and I were made to feel like we were old friends! Just terrific.

Room Tip: The Huntingdon Garden room had a spectacular king size bed, but might be considered a little small.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Azalea_Inn, Manager at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Gregins,

We are so happy that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate all of your compliments; from the friendliness of our staff, to the kind words about the Inn and that we made you feel so welcome! True Southern Hospitality is what we always strive for and we are thrilled when guests walk away feeling like old friends! We hope we will see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The room was clean and spacious. The Location was perfect and the staff and owners were very friendly. We definitely plan on a return stay. The park is in walking distance, not to far for my pregnant wife

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Jrowe19k,

We are so happy that you all enjoyed your Babymoon! We appreciate your kind words about the Inn & the Staff…we do LOVE Savannah and Love to share our Favorite parts with our guests. With the babies due this Winter we expect to see you by Spring…we figure you will be ready for a break by then! 

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I were invited to stay an evening at this beautiful location and had a wonderful time. The staff were curteous and polite and the owner took time to speak to us both while we were swimming in the pool. The room was comfortable( especially the bed! my wife won't stop asking for a new one now) and had just a good feel to it. The shower was huge and had great water pressure. Overall my wife and I had an outstanding time. The price justifies the stay and I will reccomend that my family members travelling on buisness choose this location over the other hotels and inns in the area. Perfect. -----SSG Devon Stewart

Room Tip: Call the staff, ask them their opinion! Honestly, the people who work here are amazing and they will...

Dear Devon S,

We LOVE the Military around here…the owner and every staff member has a tie in some way to the Military and it makes us feel good to treat those that have Serve & Protect us and our Country! It was such a pleasure to meet you and your wife and be able to give y’all some of the Respite & Renewal you both deserve! Thank you so much for your recommendation and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Shortly after checking out I received an email from the owners expressing their thanks and that of the staff for our visit to the inn and inviting any feedback we might have. My initial inclination was to respond via email, but upon returning to TA and reviewing the previous critical reviews, and especially the owner's manner of responding, I felt inclined to respond publicly re our impressions post-visit. First, you must recognize that the photos on the inn website present a view which is far more favorable to the inn both in spacial dimensions and in elegance than what, in reality, you will find upon arrival. It is a nicely restored late 1800's era home and reasonably well maintained. Our room, the Cotton Exchange Room, was priced at $334.00 per night and I take no exception with the owners to charge what they choose. Do I feel that it fell short of what I would have expected for the price, definitely. Why, for starters, when we arrived and entered our room it was frigid and I could not locate any thermostat in the room. So we bundled up for the night and gutted it out. The next morning our host informed us that the entire floor was serviced by one thermostat, located in the main hallway, and that any further management of temperature could only be achieved by manipulation of the floor vents located in the specific rooms. While I have never stayed in an accommodation rated excellent or 5 star that did not boast its own temperature control device vs. the guest having to physically bend over, reach down, and pick up the vent, adjust its aperture, and then replace it to the floor, I would imagine that even rooms in the cheapest motels offer individual temp control in each room. Second, the toilets are small, hence the seats are small, and again not indicative of those found in 5 star properties. Third, if you stay on the first floor of the inn as we did, you will find that the early morning noise level can be annoying, whether it is the host knocking on the door across the hall delivering a 'wake up call', or the staff chatting loudly at the reception desk. Fourth, when you are a 4 day guest as we were, and you are taking a shower on your last day only to find that the shower soap dispenser is empty mid way thru your shower, you can only shake your head and ask, 'do they not top these off as a matter of course every 2-3 days?'. Fifth, the breakfast is fine, but nothing of extraordinary noteworthiness, when compared with properties this inn purports to be in the company of. Sixth, notwithstanding the fact that it is situated close to Forsyth Park, and the Mansion Hotel, the so-called Garden District it purports to be in, is not the most inviting area to take a stroll in in my humble opinion. My final critical observation has to do, once again, with the obvious lack of training re staff as could not be more vividly represented with my checkout experience. Upon checking out I settled the balance of my account, was handed a receipt, asked if I needed assistance with my bags (I had previously repeatedly walked by the desk 8 times carrying bags, et al...with the same individual seated within 3 feet of my passing!). While opening the car door for my wife in the lot, the owner ran to present me with some info on Select Registry and also a $50 gift card for future use at the inn. This would have been fine, but on our first morning there, the hostess was passing out $100 gift cards to departing guests like they were going out of style. While I have no intention of returning, I thought of the incident as just another example of poor staff training and the lack of well-established processes that any business offering public service must have in place to ensure a flawless customer experience. As a seasoned domestic and global traveler, and one who has enjoyed the finest of accommodations both at home and abroad I feel these observations clearly validate this property as Average. All this said I would be remiss if I did not mention the fact that I found all the staff to be good and honorable people, endeavoring to do their best. Any shortcomings in their performance I lay at the feet of the owners/managers. It was only after reading the tone of the owner's responses to previous critical reviews that I chose to make these impressions known publicly. As an entrepreneur and founder of several successful personal service businesses I believe any criticism should be taken seriously, and that any hurt feelings on the part of the owner belongs in the private domain. If I as a business owner cannot take the heat without casting aspersions in response to those who criticize me, then I am in the wrong business. I also need to recognize that my attitude will ultimately flow down the ranks of my organization and ultimately affect the delivery of my product. I wish these people well and hope you as a potential guest find them helpful as our choose where to stay in beautiful Savannah.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jelsrtrav
Azalea_Inn, Owner at Azalea Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

I do want to thank you for the feedback you provided on TripAdvisor and you should not be concerned that we don’t hear your comments and the opportunity they present. The letter I send out is my effort to catch mistakes/concerns that weren’t shared during the visit. I am sincere when I encourage guests to please tell the innkeeper while they are still guests if something isn’t up to par – immediate correction to an adjustment in the rate are the range of possibilities available when we fail.

Your checkout experience: I apologize for not assisting with carrying out your bags. The woman behind the desk is new to us and yes, is still learning. I believe what you heard in regard to the $100 gift certificate is our informing guests about Select Registry’s Guest Reward Program – after 12 visits they send you a Gift Certificate for $100. You and I had discussed the Select Registry Guest Reward Program, and the fact that you were a member of their reward program, so I did not repeat that to you and your wife when I came outside to give you our gift certificate.

Though it is of no help to you now, the first floor of the inn is scheduled to be fitted with individual thermostats in January of this coming year. We completed the second floor in early spring, and the carriage house (Garden Cottage) is already completed. I am not pleased that we failed to adjust the floor vents upon showing you to the room – ti should have been evident that it was cold in there. Further, you should have been shown where the thermostat is. Again, though you will get tired of hearing it, I apologize.

Do I have an excuse for missing the empty shampoo dispenser – no. I do wish you had told me. Will I add it to our room check list as an every other day check rather than a weekly check? Yes we will.

I am thankful for your comments, for your insight, for your candor. You covered much more than I have written here and I appreciate that. I would have hoped for a more candid conversation with you, especially given your successes in businesses – in my sixty years of living I have found that I still have a lot to learn and will continue to try to do my best. I have written procedures for every job description including check lists; I inspect the inn at odd hours, I address concerns when and where I see them. I still expect to miss things, to continue to grow and to continue to learn how to do my job better.

Teresa

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Savannah for a few days over our anniversary. The Azalea Inn was just like all the pictures from their website; beautiful, relaxing and so friendly. The staff was very pleasant and helpful when it came to directing us to local venues and giving suggestions on places to eat. The breakfasts were wonderful! The creme brûlée French toast was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the gardens. Our room (Sweet Olive) was just the right size and we slept so peacefully. My husband and I enjoyed our walks to Forsythe Park and to Bay Street.
The best thing about our stay was the little details the staff & owner remembered. Teresa overheard us talking about our anniversary one breakfast morning and that evening we found chocolate covered strawberries and a lovely note next to our bed! The last thing I want to say is that both I and my husband enjoyed the shower body scrub- such a little thing but it stood out in our minds. They do sell bottles of it at the front desk and I think we need to order some soon!

Dear Krisitna H,

We are so happy that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us for your Anniversary, we strive to make every special occasion a memorable experience! Thank you for such high praise on our Crème Brulee French Toast…if you would like the recipe, just let us know! We are all addicted to our Body Scrub around here as well…we would be happy to ship some to you when you are ready, if you can’t wait for your next visit!  We hope we will see you both again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My friend and I stayed here during the Savannah stopover on our southern low country road trip. It really was a perfect experience. Theresa and her team have impeccable attention to detail. I can't think of anything that was missing from our stay. The room and our balcony were perfect. The pool area is great to cool off and relax with a glass of wine or sherry after an afternoon of sightseeing. There are fresh baked treats, coffee, and tea always available to guests. Every evening there is a nice selection of wine and fresh made hors d'oeuvres on offer. The breakfasts were delicious and they cater to dietary needs and tastes of each individual. The staff were extremely helpful in making local dinner reservations and organizing tours. The house is beautiful and its location near Forsyth Park makes for an idyllic Savannah experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Rychlost,

We are so happy that you were able to make it to Savannah during your low country road trip and experience the relatively new “Savannah Stopover.” Thank you so much for your praise of the Inn, our Staff & our Food!!! You make us BLUSH! We hope for your next visit that you will come back and see us!