“Cash only hipster coffee shop”
Review of Sentient Bean

Sentient Bean
Ranked #4 of 21 Coffee & Tea in Savannah
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Since the Bean (as it’s known in the neighborhood) opened its doors in 2001, we’ve tried to make decisions that are good for our customers, our community, and our environment. Strangely enough, we also believe that this way of doing business is good for the bottom line. Our fair-trade coffee is organic, as is our produce and most of our staple ingredients. We are committed to using locally grown ingredients as much as possible, don’t fry anything, and make most of our food from scratch. We are vegetarian, and very vegan and gluten-free friendly! In 2008 we got rid of disposable plastic ware and we continue to recycle and compost. We host almost nightly events organized by members of the community and we strive to be welcoming to even the strangest among us. Check out our website for upcoming events.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This place was very close to where we stayed so we ended up getting breakfast here twice. The coffee is ok, nothing special. The chocolate croissant was pretty good, if you got a fresh one. The service was slow and poor. The staff is exclusively hipster guys in tank tops and girls with giant glasses and birds nest for hair. The atmosphere was a typical coffee shop but the bathroom was like the one from Saw. Both times we went there, there were a dozen bicycles parked out front and at least 2 dogs leashed to them. It is cash only but they do have an ATM in there.

1  Thank Jarred F

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for coffee, but we were completely caught off guard. This place is amazing! Love the atmosphere, and chill staff. Hipster menu, and awesome selection for coffee, tea, etc. we ordered a quiche and vegan burrito. Scoffed it down good. The place is earth and people conscience, and no that's not a marketing theme, like some places in Savannah. This place is a must!!!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stopped by Sentient Bean after a morning walk in Forsyth Park. The coffee wasn't anything out of the ordinary, and the food was only so so (I had an egg and cheese croissant, and my boyfriend had an egg and cheese bagel). The staff seemed harried and put-out, but the atmosphere was cute. I had heard great reviews from some Savannah natives, but my experience did not exceed expectations. As of this writing, the establishment only accepts cash, so be prepared.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Found at the Suth end of Forsythe Park, the Sentient Bean is a place where SCAD students mix with young locals. Used couches and chairs are almost randomly placed designed to let patrons linger. Some food and sweets served. Occasional live music or movies. Check ut Brighter Day next door. The public bar at the American Legion around the corner serves strong drinks at great prices with indoor and deck seating.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was super excited to try this place out because of its vegetarian offerings, but I was disappointed. I ordered the black bean and cheese quesadilla, and it was just like every other quesadilla I've had. My boyfriend ordered the zesto pesto and thought it was good, but he ended up liking my quesadilla better though. The best thing we ate there was the crostini plate with hummus, green sauce (garlic), and blue sauce (artichoke & olive). I loved the tea I ordered ("bio....." something), and my boyfriend thought the coffee was just ok. The two people who were working weren't all that interested in having us for customers. Maybe it was because it was 7:00 p.m.? The bathrooms were filthy, which makes me question the overall cleanliness (i.e. food preparation areas).

Nothing makes me happier than finding a restaurant that caters to vegetarians, and while I had high hopes for this restaurant, they just didn't deliver.