“Healthy and delicious” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kayak Kafe
Ranked #28 of 857 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Soups, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Savannah, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Healthy and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I love this place due to their food. They have the only cole slaw I have found that I really like. Plus all their food is very fresh and made to order. The service in there though is where it gets me. Every now and then there will be a great server but 9/10 times you wait there and they aren't always the nicest of staff especially when they get busy. If you want to get something to go, make sure you order it with plenty of time the best way is to call it in if you just want to get something to go so they can work on it while you are traveling there.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Breakers28

St. Augustine
“Great food, friendly staff, reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Centrally located, very nice food and menu, friendly staff and good prices. Not fancy if that's what you're looking for, but for all of the previous, great choice.

Poughquag, New York
“Quench your thirst and Sate your appetite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Found this place while traveling to Florida with our two dogs. Pet friendly makes it a great choice, the waitress immediately brought out menus and water for the pouches. The menu is Tex-Mex fusion all items are homemade and fresh to order. We sampled the lime chicken burrito and the roasted pork burrito. Both were served with homemade coleslaw, delicious ! Located in downtown Savannah this restaurant was a great find. If you want casual and easy this is the place. And the Ice Tea was fantastic they even gave us drinks to go.

1 Thank macpack77
Newark, New Jersey
“Fantastic food and prices...small cafe that lacks atmosphere but makes it up in service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

Had lunch here with the family and everyone was raving about their great food--tacos are a must! Everything else looked and tasted great as we had enchiladas and a sandwich. We sat outside as the inside felt more like a coffee shop...not the place to go on a nice date but a surefire lunch/casual dinner stop. We will definitely be back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Savannah, Georgia
“Too healthy?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Midtown Location

I was excited to try Kayak Cafe and my first time was to the newer midtown location.

As you walk in there is a hostess stand with a friendly hostess. Straight in front is a bar that would have been very appealing except that we needed to be face to face to talk business. Next time....

Further in there are large windows that provide lots of great natural light. The atmosphere is modern and clean. Clientele for lunch appeared to be 75%+ women.

We sat at a high top group type table near the entrance and it was fine.

We ordered the Korean chicken wings as an appetizer. Very well cooked and great flavor. Didn't care as much for the gorgonzola dip. Regular blue cheese would have been preferable.

I ordered the pork burrito, and alas, they were out of pork. Bummer!

I settled on the tuna melt. I am a sucker for anything on sourdough bread.

Here is where I wonder if something can be too healthy. The tuna melt was wonderfully prepared and presented. But it seemed very plain. I'm probably used to a more decadent heavy tuna melt so this one was lacking to me. Take it as a compliment if that is how you like your melts.

The slaw was also a bit bland. Cabbage (very nicely shaved) with a bit of spice. Needed something to give it bite and more flavor for me.

My colleague had the spicy jerk chicken tacos. They looked great and he said they were. Very fresh and tasty.

I will be back for the Roasted Pork Burrito or the Lime Chicken and Goat Cheese Enchiladas.