“Good place for vegans to go!”
Review of Kayak Kafe

Kayak Kafe
Ranked #67 of 908 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Mexican, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Kayak is a Locally-owned Casual restaurant with locations in both the heart of Savannah's Historic District and in Savannah’s Midtown Medical Arts area. Our food is eclectic and fresh and we are consistently rated the Best Place in Town for Fresh Salads, Tacos, Vegetarian and Vegan Cuisine. We have a wide range of great options from Southwestern Wild Shrimp Tacos to Housemade Vegan Burgers with Cashew Cheese to Lime-Chicken Enchiladas to our famous Black-Eyed Pea Burger.
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am vegan, my husband is not. It's hard to find restaurants with vegan options, so I usually check HappyCow for suggestions, then cross-check on TripAdvisor. I wasn't in the mood for Asian, so I chose Kayak Kafe for dinner. As other diners have mentioned, it's not inspiring inside, but I wasn't looking for ambiance, just a good, healthy vegan meal. Their menu lists a lot of vegetarian selections, and mentions that they can veganize almost anything. I chose the vegetarian Black Bean, Spinach And Mushroom Tacos, and they held the cheese and sour cream. Because I chose corn tortillas instead of wheat, they were messy, but very tasty. My husband had a Roasted Turkey And Applewood Bacon Panini, and said that was very good, too. I appreciated their willingness to veganize things, and I would definitely go there again.

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

How refreshing it is to find a restaurant that offers vegetarian dishes, some of which are home-made. If you want organic, low-sodium food this is the place where to stop. I had delicious super-fresh veggie tacos on fresh corn tortillas and a black beans burger that I was told is made on the premises. I asked for substitutions, which were made at no extra charge. Kayak is not a place for those who are used to salty and strong-flavored fast food, rather for those who have a more delicate palate and are looking for more vegetarian options.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stopped by for lunch, choosing to sit outside. After waiting 5 minutes or so, we ventured inside to see if we were doing something to warrant being ignored. Apparently not...we reseated ourselves and were promptly attended to. Waitress was friendly, chatty and efficient. I tried the lime chicken with goat cheese enchiladas, while my lunch partner had spinach and wild shrimp salad with cilantro-lime vinaigrette. She went wild over the vinaigrette, a flavor combination right in her wheelhouse. I like it when she goes wild. My enchiladas were good enough to warrant a return visit. Maybe next year on our annual pilgrimage south....

1  Thank iwmclean
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Very tasty, vegetarian friendly food (although plety for meat lovers too) right on Broughton in the downtown area. I had the specal Bangin Black Eyed Pea Burger on a Brioche Bun, which was quite good, and my wife had the Cockspur turkey sandwich, which was also good, but spicy. Our only complaint was that the service was a bit slow and our drink refills took a while.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

While on a business trip, I was tired of the long dinners and heavy food. I was looking for a lighter meal and saw the reviews on TA.

This restaurant met my expectations. The decor inside is not very inspiring, so we had dinner outside, sitting at one of the few tables on the sidewalk.

I had the Lime Chicken and Goat Cheese Enchiladas. It tasted great. The staff is very friendly. A great laid back spot. Go across the street to Leopold's Ice Cream for desert, it will make it a perfect evening and give your wallet a brake.