“What a sandwich”

Zunzi's Take Out
Ranked #7 of 908 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Saw the "Conquistador" sandwich featured on the Travel Channel and figured if it was good enough for Adam Richman, well....... It was beyond fabulous! Tender pieces of chicken smothered with their homemade sauces on a crunchy baguette. FABULOUS. Do not miss this if visiting Savannah.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I both got the Conquistador sandwich, I added cheese to mine. They were delicious! The amount of chicken was perfect for the size of the bread! Just make sure you leave time to stand in line as its a popular place!

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I had the Godfather which was one of the best sandwiches I've ever haas.. The hummus was awesome as well! My friends are local and this is a favorite of theirs!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

While visiting Savannah the last weekend of March 2014, my husband and I needed to purchase a "shirt with collar" for some fancy shindig. We were being assisted at Banana Republic by an awesome guy who recommended Zunzi's. He was describing the best-sounding sandwich, when another person walking by goes, "Must be talking about Zunzi's." We decided right then and there that our lunch the NEXT day would be Zunzi's. We were told to definitely get "The Godfather," a sandwich of enormous proportions...which has chicken, lettuce, sausage (pick the smoked sausage), and some other stuff PLUS African Sweet Sauce. This is the sandwich my hubby got, and I stuck with "The Conquistador." I also grabbed a special South African iced tea (which tasted like Rooibos red tea and coconut), which was outstanding. The line was about 20 deep when we arrived at this corner take-out restaurant, but we only waiting about 15 minutes. Sure, the cleanliness didn't really stand out as a big plus at this restaurant...but it is take-out. The area where the food is made is pretty much visible to the customer, and it was clean enough! (I grew up in New Orleans...and am aware that holes-in-the-wall are often the best restaurants one can go to...so the dirt here-and-there didn't phase me.) There are a few chairs and tables behind the building where the restaurant is housed, but we chose to eat in the Square that is right up the block. After a 2 minute walk, we found a bench, and enjoyed eating while watching all the goings-on in the Square. Judging from the number of Zunzi's take-out containers in the trash can we used...everyone else goes to the same spot.
Let me say...whatever is in the special sauce...makes the sandwich. We will be back next trip to Savannah, FOR SURE. The vibe was good, the people working there were friendly, and the food was quick and phenomenal!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This place was truly amazing. Saw this on the Food Network's Sandwich King show and knew we had to try it on our trip to Savannah. The place is basically take out only with a few outside seats on a side patio. The service was fast with smiles and light, cheery conversation. We tried the hummus, conquistador sandwich, and the Gyro Wrap. AMAZING! The hummus was the best we have ever tasted. The chicken on the conquistador was moist and juicy. The sauce was fabulous. All was very fresh and well worth the short wait in line to get. We recommend you try this place while on your visit to Savannah. Truly a can't miss place to eat at.