“Come hungry!”

Zunzi's Take Out
Ranked #5 of 883 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We heard so much about this place on food network and other reviews that we decided to give it a try for ourselves. If you come around lunch time be prepared to stand in line. It was a bit chilly and drizzling with rain, but we didn't let that deter us. The line moved pretty fast so it wasn't that bad. We ordered the conquistador which was HUGE! They are very generous with their portions so you must come hungry! The sauce was delicious and the chicken was the most tender I've ever had on a sandwich. It was very juicy and messy! Thank goodness they are generous with their napkins, as well. The park nearby offered benches for us to eat our lunch. Having a table would have been better suited for us to tackle the huge portions, but we somehow managed. The sandwich makers were quite engaging and often joked around and made the visitors feel welcomed. He even gave us a taste of their homemade sausage as a treat. It was delicious. For the amount of delicious food and huge portion sizes, the price of our lunch was a great value. Next time we are in Savannah, we will be making a return visit!

There are newer reviews for Zunzi's Take Out

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were heading out to St. Augustine, but first we HAD to stop by here after all the hype before for lunch. Glad we did! The hype is really true about this place -- it's a must try eatery when you're in Savannah.

We got there at 11.00 AM sharp on a cool Friday -- our fear about long long times didn't hold out as we were the second people there! Nice! They opened the doors at about 11.05 or so, and since we had another newbie ahead of us, we got the whole line wrong.

Tip -- As you look at the door, form the line on the RIGHT side of the building since you will need to start on the right to get "silverware" and place your order, and you pay on the far left.

So we had to try the famous Conquistador sandwich and also their speciality sausage (a South African sausage served with spicy mustard). If you never had the sausage before (and they ask) they "force" you to try some first. Why? Because it IS very unique -- very unlike any tube meat I've ever had -- and I've had a LOT in my day (I mean, like, tons and tons a lot including exotic ones all over the world and ones I make). Trust me on this -- it's AWESOME but you do need to be a bit adventerous because it's highly spiced with "christmas" spices (as I call them) ... allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc. with a dark look and course grind -- the combination with the spicy mustard is perfect.

Now, on to the Conquistador -- and yes -- it's really that good. My wife said maybe one of the best sandwiches she's had... and I would have to agree. OMG - -yes get it. The chicken is sooo juicy and the sauces are amazing -- all on a fresh fresh bread "loaf".

We sat outside around the side (there are picnic tables, etc) -- and enjoyed our meal immensely -- good way to start the next leg of our trip!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Be sure you know that it's a takeout ONLY, and that you'll need to find a place to take your food to eat. The nearby square is ok if the weather is good. The Gabriella's Zesty Chicken is a very tasty and generous portion of skinless oven-baked chicken thighs on rice and salad. The boerewors, on the other hand, is very idiosyncratic; nothing like I ever had in South Africa. To my taste (and my wife's) it was overspiced with allspice and cinnamon. To their credit, the guy behind the counter will ask you if you've ever had theirs, and offer you a sample piece. Be sure to go...if you do....on a nice day, because you'll be standing on the sidewalk for quite a while to get to the service counter.

1  Thank David_S41003
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had the Godfather, wife had Oliver's lunch. All in all excellent, wish the takeout was a little more ecofriendly though. Maybe Paper bags instead of plastic and just wrapping the sandwich instead of a styrofoam box. I'm just nitpicking though, will return.

Zunzis, Manager at Zunzi's Take Out, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We would like to try something like wrapping the sandwiches in the future.. We are always looking for new ideas to become more "Green" as we have been offering customers the option to have their food in a BioBox instead of Styrofoam at a cost of 25cents. We would like to have only BioBoxes but the cost of the boxes would force us to increase our prices. We still try to find a happy medium by recycling all of our cardboard boxes, aluminum, and plastic containers. We also compost all of our kitchen waste and leftovers. Thanks for the suggestion as we progress into becoming more eco-friendly... :)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I spent four days in Savannah trying to find fantastic food and Zunzi's was the only place that left a lasting impression. I waited about 30 minutes in a line of around 20 people for the best sandwich I've had in years. The menu is posted outside for your perusal, but not prices. I paid around $11 for the Godfather, which rocked.

The chicken is super tender, the special sauce is incredible (but not overpowering), and I went with the homemade sausage over the smoked sausage. The guy making the sandwich offered me a sample of the homemade sausage beforehand and kind of warned that it had African overtones (coriander, primarily). I liked the bold flavors and the crumbly texture, so I went for that.

I was surprised to find that the bread stole the show. It's a great french baguette-type bread, and it's chewy, but brown and crusty all at once. This was the best thing I ate in Savannah. Wait in line, it's totally worth it.

1  Thank SP82736