“Rooms are too hot---don't stay here if you want to sleep”

Best Western Central Inn
Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I was really disappointed with the Best Western Central.

We checked in after a long ride around 4PM, and upon entering Room 202, found it to be about 82 degrees. I complained to the front desk (a very pleasant woman named Marian) who told me that the room had just been made up, and the air conditioner probably needed some time to cool off. I bought this explanation for about 30 minutes, but quite honestly, the air coming out of the old wall unit wasn't much below 80 degrees. I complained again, and Marian asked a pleasant maintenance guy to check it out.

He agreed that it was hot, and we were moved to room 212, which really wasn't much better. Upon entering the room around 5PM, it felt to be about 80 degrees, but the wall unit was spitting out noticeably cooler area than room 202. We went into Savannah for a few hours and arrived back at the room hoping it would be cooler--it really wasn't. We came to the conclusion that the unit just wasn't larger enough to deal with the Savannah high temperatures and the 300 square feet in the room.

Again I went to the front office, this time asking for a fan---there were none. I told Marian that we would need to check out a day early if things didn't improve. She told me she would alert the General Manager, and move us the next day if need be to a room that was cooler.

On the way back to my room, I met up with some people who were staying in the room next to ours--210. I asked them if their room was hot, and they said yes, and were just coming back from dinner. They opened the door, invited me in, and it seemed about 4 degrees cooler than ours.

We went to the bed with the room temperature around 80 degrees, with the entire family sleeping on top of the beds---and sweating.

Around 3AM, with the outside temperature dropping to 75 degrees or so, we noticed an improvement in the room temperature, and two of us were able to slip under a sheet.

As I write this review, it's now 9PM, and we are headed toward our second night here. The air temp in the room is about 74---far from what it's been on the first week of our road trip so far.

By the way, I was in the office today watching the World Cup in air conditioned comfort while my room was being made up. A young couple returned a small fan to the front desk and thanked the manager. I went over, and told him I was told there were no fans available for guests. He told me it was the night clerk's personal fan, and that she had felt bad for the couple and lent them hers. Unfortunately, he said, he couldn't lend it to me without her permission.

I don't know about you, but when I go on vacation, I look forward to a nice cool, comfortable room--forget about that here.

One other complaint was the lack of a cot for our daughter---the day manager told me that it was against the fire code to provide one in the room. She wound up sleeping on the floor.

Final complaint---electrical outlets looked a bit suspect. Some were not grounded and were partially painted over. I really fretted about putting my 3 prong laptop power supply into one of these.

Aside from these three complaints, the room was reasonably clean and quiet. Most people in the hotel were either seniors or families---no rowdy kids to keep you up all night.

Savannah is a pretty easy 5 mile ride from the hotel, and there are some places to eat near the hotel.

WIFI, password protected, worked perfectly.

Refrigerator in the room was clean and COOL.

Microwave was there and probably worked.

Unfortunately, due to the air conditioning problems, I can't recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank johndsmiley

Reviewed May 4, 2010

I'm used to family/budget chain hotels. I was very disappointed when I walked in to room. Beware that this one has all outside access rooms. The pictures didn't show this. Pool is far from the rooms along the road, not in a secluded courtyard. At night when we checked in and in the am when we checked out there was loud rap music playing in the lobby. I guess you get what you pay for; we had an awesome internet rate, but that rate drew a crowd we didn't feel safe with. You can do better in Savannah midtown for not much more $

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank collegemom4
Reviewed April 19, 2010

this place was so so... service was decent, we had a problem with the room and they allowed us to switch rooms no problem...pool was nasty....mainly a CHEAPO HOTEL.. for partiers...didn't know at the time.... it was ok, but I won't stay @ it again...

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank nlbhsailor
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Have stayed at central Best Western, Savannah for about 7 yrs visiting home town. No need to stay at expensive hotels on riverfront; downtown only 8 miles away. Clean; good breakfast; very nice staff to deal with. .

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2010

The room at this hotel was nicely furnished, it came with a fridge and microwave. My only complaint is there was a small amount of mold on the thershold leading into the bathroom. Probably because there was no ventilation in the bathroom. The beds were comfortable and clean. This hotel was 6 miles out from Historic Savannah, we had no problem navigating to the River Walk stores or to reach the Trolley Tours. Our front clerk Gary was very nice and informative on how to get around. Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2010

The room was clean, nice, large. Parking in front of it. Good breakfast. Pretty far from I-95 and easy to miss. The only problem was that the hotel is located at the end of an airbase runway. It did slow down at night but the low flying is very impressive/noisy.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2010

For starters, I am somewhat of a clean freak but I can adapt and be okay with staying in cheaper hotels to save money! SOO, with that being said it was overall completely bearable. It was a nice hotel overall for the PRICE range! The only complaint I have is I saw about 5 beetle looking bugs while I was there and one even came out of my wallet when I was paying for something later on that night. KIND of gross but this was MY room and it's not to say all the rooms are like that. It wasn't like the small beetles were in the beds or anything like that..so sleep went fine! SOOO if you are on a budget, this is a fine hotel and driving distance to downtown Savannah. Quiet stay and had no problems with the staff!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple