“Disappointing”

Best Western Central Inn
Ranked #37 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We chose this hotel because we decided to return to Savannah, one of our favorite cities, and discovered online that many of our favorites were booked. Knowing our way around Savannah to some extent, we knew that staying away from the historic district wouldn't be a problem for us. What we didn't realize was that Savannah begins their St Patrick's Day celebrations much earlier than the 17th - the reason for things being booked.

We were immediately disappointed in discovering that this Best Western looked old and tired and like an old-time motel with its long line of accommodations. Lots of people just hanging out walking around. Nothing classy to say the least. The room appeared to be clean but it was disappointing to discover that it was overpowering with the smell of a spray cleaning type agent.

The entrance to the lobby was in the process of being remodeled. Sadly, the desk clerk needed some serious education in personality and helpfulness #101. This place doesn't have much going for it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloria B, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Central Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

I am sorry that you were not pleased with your accommodations at our hotel. Yes, the St. Patrick's Day Celebration runs for several days, some times prior to the actual date and some times days after. If these guest distrubed you, we are truly sorry and this happens only once each year. We will address your comments about the front desk employee that you encountered to see if additional training is needed. We appreciate your comments since it tells us how the guest experiences the hotel, we always discuss these comments at staff meetings and strive to make improvements accordingly.
Thank you again for the comments and we do appreciate your business.
Gloria M. Brown
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank PatC608

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Savannah for two nights and found this hotel. It was the must economical in the area. We like the Best Western but the one in the historical center was almost $200 a night! This hotel was not that far from the center, only like 10 car ride. The room feel nice and clean like it was recently renovated! A plus... The rug look very clean, almost new!! We didnt hear that the traffic noise from our room, maybe because our room was in the center. Another good thing is that its surrounded by so many restaurants and shops. Right by the Waffle House and across the street a cute little diner. There was also an Indian and Mexican restaurant near by.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family stayed here in August for 3 days when the air-conditioning unit in our (rented) home broke down completely and the temp was around 102 with 95% humidity--our landlord was kind enough to let me choose a hotel for the time our unit was being repaired. My first impression was that I just liked the place! It was clean, neatly appointed, pretty comfortable beds--BIG fluffy pillows and when I asked for extras (I like lots!) the front desk sent them right on over. Also, we took advantage of the pool on the hottest days, so when we needed extra towels, again, no problem. One note: the pool could have been cleaner--there were bugs, leaves and trash floating in one end, so we didn't stay in it the second night for long. We were in it pretty late in the day, so we didn't fuss--though I did mention it to the office the next morning. Good breakfasts, listed as 'continental', so it was the usual bagels, danishes, muffins, but 3 kinds of bread to toast, English muffins, boiled eggs, plenty of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, tangerines), 4 or 5 kinds of Activia yogurt, as well as instant grits and oatmeal. Good waffle machine--fill your cup, spray the waffle-maker with butter spray, pour it on and flip it --in two minutes you'll have a decent, warm waffle--good with syrup and bananas on top, or with strawberry yogurt. Plenty of coffee, hot chocolate and orange juice. A very good location for visitors too, right in the center on the corner of Abercorn (a road cutting right through Savannah from the highway, through the center of the city and right down to River Street!), within walking distance of Oglethorpe Mall, Double's Lounge, Wendys, Taco Bell, etc..also, on a major city bus route which will take you right downtown to Broughton Street for shopping and dining. All in all a really good stay and the staff was pleasant--we had our room straightened up twice and our personal items were untouched, the bathroom scrubbed, the sheets changed, all just as it should be. Not a fancy hotel, however, a reasonable price, well-located, comfortable beds and decent breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Heart_of_Imladris
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The good news - the rooms are well appointed, with many places to eat close by. It had easy access to downtown, but wasn't close. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and nice to have before starting the day.

Now, the bad - the first night, a big-rig truck parked parallel to one side of the hotel and started his engine up at 6am, and continued to 'warm it up' for the next 20 minutes. I'm a heavy sleeper, but it would have woken a hybernating bear. 2nd night, the garbage truck arrived at 3am to pick up from the building next door. Seriously, 3am? Napping during the day was also tough, as the hotel is in the path of the small airport nearby, and the approaching low flying airplanes were extremely loud. But at least, they stopped after dusk. So, the hotel could definately use better windows that blocked the noise.

So, good and bad. Maybe I just hit a few bad nights, but if you're a light sleeper, beware.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am scheduled to stay at this Best Western today 3/16 but do to an unforeseen unfortunate accident I will be unable to make it. I contacted the hotel to see what my options are as far maybe changing my date instead of canceling but according to the Mgr. Theron that will not be happening. I will still get charged for the night and in essence be losing $282 for a room that I can't even stay in. I didn't ask for a refund just for them to work with me on changing my date so that I can stay another time. Every time I called to speak with mgr it was always call back in 5 minutes or he should be back up here in 5 minutes. I don't see the problem with me rescheduling my stay as Im sure they would have easily resold the room do to it being a busy weekend and people having to travel as far as Bluffton SC for a room. It's good to know that customers should plan ahead for unexpected accidents before booking a room here or plan the unexpected accident by the cancellation deadline. For the mgr of this hotel you may want to take a lesson in empathy, sympathy and humility and think how you would want to be treated had this been your situation. Learn to put yourself in the customer shoes. $282 I will take this as lesson learned....don't do business with Best Western. And although word of mouth may or may not hurt your business I will definitely at least let people know about the service or lack there of received.

Stayed: October 2012
Georgiatraveler31, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Central Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear NClark:

I am sorry you had an accident that prevented you from staying with us on that day. As i am sure you were aware of, St. Patrick's weekend is the busiest weekend of the year in Savannah. It brings many people from all over the country to Savannah for the festivities and parade. When you called, the hotel was in full check in mode and dealing with every guest coming in early for the event. By attempting to cancel the room the day of, it is very difficult to resell the room as people are accustomed to already having resevations. We make sure everyone knows when reserving for this period they are aware of the restrictions and cancellations.

Based on the circumstances, we DID NOT charge you anything that day for the room even though we were within hotel policy to do so. We sold that room at a reduced rate. We always make every effort to work with our customers to make their stay the best possible.

Again, please accept our thoughts on your accident and we hope you are well.

Sincerely;

Management

Reviewed March 14, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights while visiting savannah. a basic motel with no frills but very and had good access to the Historic Dow Motown. just 5 miles. Motel is old and still needs more upgrading in rooms, peeled paint etc. Breakfast bar also needs improvement....would stay here again because of easy access to downtown and cleanliness of rooms. also got a good price through Travelocity.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family