“Nope!”

Ranked #60 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Bowmanville, Canada
“Nope!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We didn't like this hotel, the first room we got smelled like milldew and had stains from water on the carpets with no working air conditioner. The second room was better but not great! stains on the carpets, mildew in the shower! cracked walls, felt yucky. They ding you $10.00 for your teenagers so we just put them in as 17 or under. There is so many hotels on this street and I wouldn't stay in this one again. Pick another one they are all about the same price! Breakfast was aweful and tucked into a back corner while the Dennys was in the front. Towel holder came crashing down in the mens room when someone tried to dry their hands. Pool was the nicest thing, it is outdoor and well maintained. However Good luck trying to find pool towels or getting any from the front desk. We were told that she had put some on the pic nik table but didn't have anymore and would come out and check or get some more. That Never Happened!!! She never did bring towels and in the end we walked back to our rooms wet!When I told them about the mold in the tub they just looked down and basically ignored me. No "I'm terribly sorry mame, or let me take care of that right away. Nothing, I thought it was rude and unprofessional! Beds folded in the middle so your head and feet were both in the air at the same time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alisha P, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Mena G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We strive to offer each and every one of our guests a positive experience at the Best Western Savannah Gateway and I am sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your stay at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for your kind words about the pool. I will share your concerns mentioned above with our team so that we can make necessary changes and improve the overall guest experience. Again, thank you for your time. It is your feedback that allows us to better serve future guests. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can ensure you have a positive experience here at the Best Western Savannah Gateway hotel.

Alisha Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Maryland
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We pulled in at 11pm on Sunday night. We were just looking for a cheap, clean place. The hotels across the street had a better rating but they wanted to charge us for the kids. Outside looked old and a bit sketchy so my husband went in to make sure it was clean. It was very humid since the air wasn't on, but that was the only issue. Most fixtures were updated. It's an older building but it seems to have been kept up. The front desk was very nice. Beds were comfortable. We stayed opposite the highway side. We found a good rate on the Priceline App, but we didn't book it there. My husband told them the Priceline rate and they matched it. For a short overnight stop, it was fine.

• Stayed August 2012
Alisha P, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking time to do this- It is always nice to hear from satisfied guests. Please let us be of service to you again should you have a hotel need in Savannah.
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This room was definitely not a good value for the money we spent. We were given a room on the freeway side of the motel and quickly realized the incredible noise level inside the room. The front desk staffer made us wait an inordinate amount of time when we returned to request a quieter room on the other side of the motel. Our room had inadequate lighting, a FILTHY bathroom (dirt and mold), a mattress that was so old it was permanently sunken in and extremely uncomfortable. There were no conveniences such as a refrigerator or microwave; only the bare essentials. The complimentary breakfast was mostly refined flour (white bread) items (muffins, waffles).

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel/motel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry that you did not find your stay pleasant- I do appreciate you taking time to do this review as your comments serve as a tool to better serve all our guests.
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2012

OMG! This has got to be one of the WORST places I have ever stayed! I stay in Savannah approximately 2-3 times a month & try different hotels in different areas each time. This time I booked through Hotwire (which I use quite a bit - which this time I was thankful for..see later)
Anyways...we got to our room and I went to use the bathroom..not to get personal but it was just to pee...when I flushed the toilet was very slow to go down. I checked to make sure there was a shut off valve & after the water went all the way down, I flushed again....big mistake! The water started rising so I reached down to shut off the valve & the "plastic" valve crumbled in my hand!! The water kept coming & before I knew it there was sewage coming up with it!! Hubby reached inside the back of the tank & stopped the water flow. I called the front desk & the lady said she would bring us another key. While waiting the smell was so bad that I opened the door...The light was very bright & that is when I REALLY looked at the room. YIKES!! See the photos! You could see where people had missed the trash can & 'stuff' was running down the walls - there was black mold growing on the ceiling!! It took about 15mins for the lady to come to the room. I have to say she was a sweet older lady & the front desk was BUSY as hell so I expected her to send someone else, but she came.
So...we grabbed our bags & went to the 'new' room. OMG! I think the sewage smell was better than what I found in the 2nd room!
Ok...the first thing I did was flush the toilet & it was fine YAY! Then I started to check for mold and there wasn't any!! YAY again! BUT...that is when I noticed we had 'friends' in the room. Along the ceiling was spiderweb after spiderweb...with spiders in them!! I counted 9 different little 'homes' with their own spidey & what was left of their dinners! UGH!! I am not a chicken when it comes to bugs but I do draw the line at this! Then it went from bad to WORSE. I noticed the blanket on my bed had stains all over it!!! So I went to get into my bag off my bed & happen to notice on my 'freshly made' bed there was hair...not just 1 or 2 but a bunch! On my pillow!! Long, straight, black hairs! Then after looking at my pillow again I noticed next to it was a....lets just call it a 'short & curly' black hair! That was the last straw! See pics!
I was able to book another hotel across the street (with a bar thank goodness!!) and Hotwire refunded my money immediately!
What really worries me is that as we were leaving I happened to notice that most of the guests were elderly....VERY elderly! It broke my heart to see them staying in these rooms! I have stayed at several BW hotels in the past & have always had a nice stay...I have stayed at hotels within walking distance to this one & have always had a nice stay. Please, Please steer clear of this place.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Magzilla
I was sorry to read that your stay was less than perfect. I will look into these items and ensure you that they will be taken care of. Thank you for taking time to do the review and I apologize if you were dissatisfied.
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I moved from Florida to Massachusetts last August, and Savannah, GA ended up being one of our overnight stays. It was easy to get to off of the highway, and there was ample parking for our car and the U-Haul. The staff at the desk was very kind and quick to get us checked in. The room was about what I expected for a motor-lodge type of hotel, but it did have kind of a mildew smell. Breakfast in the morning was ok. I know that they were trying with the biscuits and gravy, but the food was really average. It was good for one night, but if we were ever to visit the area again on vacation I would choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Alisha P, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your comments. It is regrettable you were not fully satisfied.
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I booked this hotel with Priceline. It was my first Priceline purchase and it will be the last. they placed me in a smoking room at the far end of three buildings. I called to request to change to a non-smoking room, they declined indicating that this was the room that I paid for through Priceline. Since I prepaid, there really wasn't anything I could do. So poor customer service. But I blame most of that on Priceline.

The hotel itself is run well. They make a good attempt at keeping everything clean. I saw no bugs or dirt/grossness anywhere. But it's an old rundown hotel so there old paint on the walls, an old carpet with an outline of an iron near the ironing board, and a good deal of just wear and tear. The outlets looked like they were almost a fire hazard when I could find one.

However, they were very responsive when I request some air freshener. The lady was at my door in less then 5 minutes and when I explained the issue of the smoke, she took several minutes to spray an air freshener. It didn't do much good and I ended up buying some Frebreeze which helped a little more. But everyone was nice and friendly.

I gave it two starts since you get what you are paying for. And the owners are doing the best with what they have. It's not a disgusting pit of a hotel and with the wrong management it easily could be worse. If you need cheap and are not picky, you'll be ok with this place.

Room Tip: The third building was away from the pool which was helpful. One side of buildings one and two are o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay. In looking at your review, I'm sorry to hear that your booking experience through Priceline was so poor but I was pleased to notice that you indicated our service was good. I look forward to welcoming you back to an even nicer stay next time.
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was inexpensive and close to I-95. We stayed at this Best Western on June 13, 2012. The room was absolutely filthy. It looked like a room out of a "Cops" episode. The carpet had a weird smell to it and there were little bugs walking around the room as well as in the bathroom. We found a small needle embedded in the carpet. We all talked about whether to stay or leave and majority ruled, they wanted to stay. (I wanted to go.) I kept on seeing little bugs walking around the wall. I told myself I could not spend a night sleeping on the bed and I went to the car to sleep. Long story short, a roach started crawling on the other couple's bed and that was the last straw. My advice: Do not stay here. Spend a little extra money and lay your head in a place where you will be comfortable. We ended up spending $25 more on a top of the line Hyatt hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get a room here. Beware of the low price. You get exactly what you pay for.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Oscar305
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. It is through comments like yours that we make improvements.