“Major Improvement since I last stayed 15 years ago”

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #51 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Georgia
“Major Improvement since I last stayed 15 years ago”
Reviewed November 8, 2010

What can I say - the place has been remodeled since I last stayed there. I had stayed with a friend at the Hyatt the night before & the bathrooms at this Best Western looked like they belonged at the Hyatt. Our hangout for the night was Savannah Smiles & this was an excellent location for a group of women, being that Savannah Smiles was right behind the motel. They were very genourous w/ their small bottles of lotion that we kept asking for. Also a good & free continental breakfast. I had searched for a couple of days for a place to stay near Riverstreet for a couple of days & this place was the best value. Great location, great price, great service. I recommend this place over the Hyatt.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
We are delighted you made the decision to stay at the Best Western PLUS Savannah Historic District! Thank you for the wonderful compliments and we look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We arrived in Savannah at 10:00 AM, which we recognized was early, however, after enjoying a day walking around Savannah, our room was still not ready at 3:45. We stayed in room #326 which was River side (yet the view is blocked by a factory of some sort). The room was decorated nicely with a great color scheme and updated bathroom amenities. The beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. The refrigerator did not keep food cold, despite putting it on the coldest setting. There were 3-4 hangers in the closet so you might need to bring your own. The first night, our stay was great! We came back from sightseeing to find our bed made neatly and towels replenished in a "day one" fashion. However, the 2nd time our room was serviced it looked like our 17 year-old son made the beds! The towels were just stacked on the bed, not even hung up! And the worst part was, whoever had cleaned the bathroom, managed to spray bleach on my husbands brand new shirt he had hung on the knob of the closet. To their credit...they did reimburse for the cost of the shirt. During our 2nd night, the noise from partyers on our hall was so loud it sounded like they were coming in our room! You can hear the ice maker dispensing ice also so I would not recommend this particular room. On the 3rd day, the housekeeping crew decided to have a "convention" outside our door while we were trying to rest from a long day at Tybee Island (around 4:00 PM). I called the front desk to advise them but the folks that run the hotel on the weekend seem to be in their 20's and were not deeply concerned. Our biggest beef was with the housekeeping crew. Will all the talking they were doing outside our room, I'm not surprised rooms are ready for checkin by 4:00 PM. The breakfast was glorified continental. The only warm food was waffles. They did offer boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt and bagels.
The hotel visitor specialist was very helpful and friendly. Be prepared to pay a $10 per day parking fee. We were glad to be so close to all of the attractions but plan to stay further South next time to avoid the roudy college age kids that run up and down the river walk (which starts behind this hotel). Safety was a concern on the weekend, with large groups of young kids walking around.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to hear your description of the check in process. I will certainly speak to this individual immediately, as this is unacceptable. Our staff should always welcome you and make you feel at home. I am sorry. Thank you again for your comments and if you are returning to the Savannah area, I would love for you to call me. I will be happy to offer you a discount on your next visit. Sincerely, Jeff Fouste
Stockport
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This was a great location. Ideal for walking into the Historic District area, it was a relaxed stroll and was approx 1 mile. Excellent breakfast make your own waffles sausage patties and the usual cereal, yoghurt, fruit and muffins etc. There was a pool outside, this needed to be cleaned of the leaves and insects. The breakfast area gets very busy and doesn't seat many people... so get there early.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments! We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Savannah! We hope to see you again in the near future!
Charleston, SC
Reviewed October 28, 2010

So tfor a last minute getaway we booked a room through priceline.com and ended up at the Best Western in the Savannah Historic District. This hotel is in a good location, right on the edge of the historic district and the river street area. The rooms are pretty old but decent however the beds were terrible. There were sharp metal things sticking out of the sides because they were using a frame that did not quite fit the bed. This was on both beds in the room. On the second night I sliced my ankle right open on these and did not realize it until the next morning when I saw a pretty big puddle of dried blood on the sheet. Well I took the sheet off the bed because I did not want the maid to have to handle it and nothing was ever said to us about anything until the next week after we were home and a $150 plus dollar charge came up on our credit card from them.
When my husband called to inquire they simply told him that we had ruined the sheets and there was nothing they would do about it.
Talk about winning customer service!
I know the economy is hard right now but seriously? I hurt myself on your messed up bed and you are gonna charge me. And not only that, if those crappy sheets cost $150 then Best Western is getting ripped off because Target has much better ones for 1/3 that price.
Thanks Best Western, I will never stay at one of your locations again and I will let everyone I know how terrible you are.

1 Thank michellelhs
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you for contacting Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service and safety to all our guests. We rely on our guests to let us know when we have fallen short. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. If the author of this review would please contact me directly at the hotel so that we can rectify the situation it would be greatly appreciated. Again, please accept our sincere apologies. We look forward to bringing you resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.
Jeff Fouste
912-233-1011
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2010

All the employees we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was pretty much what we expected with, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, toast, sweet rolls and you could even make your own waffle. The breakfast area was very clean with plenty of room. We had a room with a king size bed and the bathroom was gorgeous!
We were only a couple of blocks from the historic district and River St. so we parked the car and walked everywhere.
The only drawback was when the bars on River St. closed on Friday night, the street behind the hotel was packed with loud people yelling and blowing their car horns. Saturday night the police were on top of things and we only woke up once.

2 Thank pamdave
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
A good value is the key to enjoying your vacation! I am thrilled you chose the Best Western PLUS Savannah Historic District and were able to take advantage of all we have to offer such as the complimentary breakfast, great location, and awesome service! We hope to see you again!

Jeff Fouste
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I booked a room for two nights at the Best Western in the historic district and after agreeing to the $160 price tag per night, I found out after arriving that they charge an extra $10 a night for parking when there is plenty of parking there. When I checked out I found out that they not only charged me for sales tax which is expected, they charged me for an occupancy tax and a transportation fee per night.. Just add another $31 dollars a night for the taxes and fees which is incredible for what I got.

The room was nice, not the best I have stayed in but clean and well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful and it was in a pretty good location for being downtown.

If I would have known of all the extras I would have stayed inRichmond hill for $35 a night and slummed down to the motel six.

Overall it was a decent stay but I would not pay that kind of price for a best western again

Very noisy area, a lot of shouting from the street could be heard in the room all night..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank sburke46
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Our goal is to provide the highest quality of customer care to all of our guests. Each Best Western is independently owned and operated and as you can see our hotel takes great pride in everything we do...from the decor to the friendly staff! I appreciate your feedback regarding our rates, but we are very comparable to every hotel in the Historic District and consistently offer the best value in downtown!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Just stayed at the Best Western on Bay street and thought it was a great location. River street is right behind the hotel and you can get there by a very steep staircase, it takes you through an alley so I'd be careful at night.
I do have to say that the noise level was a bit much for me. I read in the managers letter that they won't give refunds for noise complaints that are out of there control. This was a hint at what was to come. Turns out Bay street is a major road for trucks and if you can't sleep with traffic noise outside your window then perhaps you should stay on a more quite street. There is a sound canceling machine in the room that helped a lot and it wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't stay there again.
The room had great pillows, towels, and shower head and even a full length mirror in the bathroom which is always a plus. I thought the staff was friendly and paying for parking is just what you have to do in the historic district.

2 Thank Betty314
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the great location, free breakfast and the newly renovated guestrooms at the Best Western PLUS Savannah Historic District. I do however apologize for the noisy streets, and I am sorry if it interfered with your stay in Savannah. I hope you are able to visit us again in the near future. Thank you.