“Loved it!”

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #53 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Was in Savannah for a wedding that was at the Hilton Desoto. Stayed here because it was $55 less and had free parking and breakfast. Front desk staff was awesome! Breakfast had a nice selection of bagels, doughnuts, and coffee + juices. Room had big, new, comfortable beds and was clean. Bonus, had a fridge and microwave. Location was great, one block to the riverfront, which you might miss if you don't go down until you are actually on the river. Great restuarants and bars all within walking distance. Don't forget a 30 min trip out to Tybee Island and eat at the Crab Shack! Our friends from the wedding were jealous at our best value in Savannah!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Savannah Historic District

Reviewed March 5, 2007

My wife and I decided to stop in Savanah on our way back home from West Palm Beach. I booked a room in the Best Western Savannah Historic District, so we could walk to the squares and see some sites. Location was great. Unfortunately the night we spent was complete hell. We were kept up all night by screaming drunks and pulled fire alarms. The management did "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" to remedy the situation. We complained repeatedly, and nothing was done. The only thing they did do was send some 17 year old "security guard" to our room, and he had the nerve to tell us that he had received a complaint that noise was coming from our room. Do not, I repeat, do not stay here if you want sleep. There are a couple of nightclubs behind the hotel, and there is a constant flow of foot traffic back and forth. The front desk clerks were rude to us, and did not even offer any kind of satisfaction. This was by far the most disappointing nights stay in a hotel I have ever had.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank brokenjack
Reviewed February 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and were totally satisfied.The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We were right in the heart of the historic district, left the car in the parking lot and walked everywhere. We would stay there again without a second thought.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank deps
Reviewed September 4, 2006

After reading some of the reviews here, I was hesitant about staying at the Best Western. I did learn some interesting tips though. When we arrived at check-in, I requested a room in the back since I had read the front was very noisy. We were given a room in the back on the 3rd floor. Fastest check-in I've ever had. Very nice employees at front desk. I think it helped that I arrived with a smile.

Opening the door to the room, I was expecting the worse. I didn't find it. It was an average hotel room with two double beds, two chairs and TV, plus a small refrigerator. It didn't smell, it wasn't damp feeling and it was clean. We even actually had a view of the Savannah Bridge AND the river. We could watch the large container boats floating by.

The AC unit worked well but did have a lot of condensation that dripped outside onto the balcony, but not inside.

The free continental breakfast consisted of bagels, toast, doughnuts, muffins, danish and other pastries. Not great, but not bad.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Best Western as it fulfilled my basic needs for an average hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank LandC71
Reviewed September 3, 2006

After searching and searching sites I decided the Best Western was the place to stay and boy was I right. Our room was basic but clean. Both the carpet and tub had been recently replaced. I believe all the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. We did not use the microwave but the refrigerator was great to have for cold drinks. Breakfast was basic but enough to get you going in the morning. The pool is a nice for a quick dip in the heat of the afternoon. You just have to walk a half a block to the back of the motel and you are on River Street. Three shorts blocks the other direction and you will be in the City Market. No there is not a view of the river from the rooms but we did not go to Savannah to stay in the room to look outside -(save your bucks for dining a the local restaurants you will need them ) We would stay there again!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GloryCat
Reviewed August 29, 2006

Best Western should remove their name from this dump. Go Hampton Inn or some other hotel.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank TravelTooDay
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Usually Best Western is good, but this was bad! Combine room problems with staff problems, and your vacation is off to a lousy and late start.
We were assigned the same crappy room a previous reviewer mentioned, 604, with no working lights or air conditioner, peeling wallpaper, wet carpeting....and when we asked to be moved it turned into an absolute war of wills with the front desk to get it done! Rude and ignorant staff. Best Western should fire the whole mess and start over and give them some training in customer service please! The maintenance man got in the middle of our request for a new room somehow. Just another surly employee, he was incensed when we showed him the problems with this sorry room.......we wasted ALOT of time dealing with him AND the front desk, trying to get moved.
The new room contained an air conditioner that blew hot, a real problem in Savannah heat & humidity. Stayed put rather than waste our time on another confrontation with the nasty maintenance man and dismissive front desk staff. Huge glob of hair on bath floor when you shut the door, gag. We kept our shoes on. When we returned to our room that evening, the power was out (don't ask!) so went to the lobby where the power was on. We watched one clerk turn people away, no rooms. 5 minutes later, another clerk handles the next 2 sets of walk-in customers and finds rooms are available. Huh? Like I said, bad business.
At checkout the couple in front of us complained to the desk clerk (excercise in futility, she was dense as a brick) that they had to be moved 3 times before they got an acceptable room. Maybe I should have done like them and kept complaining until I got what we paid for......but who wants to exert this effort and waste so much time just to get a decent room while you are on vacation, supposedly having a good time?
Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere! There are lots of better places just as convenient. And I know they put chlorine in the pool, unlike here!

• Stayed: July 2006