“Maybe when I was 20, but not now...”

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #52 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United States
“Maybe when I was 20, but not now...”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was thrilled when I booked about the location of our hotel. I was a little frustrated when we pulled up, because I did not realize this was a motel. Upon arrival I received a disclaimer from management...apparently they are aware it is incredibly loud and you are welcome to leave if the noise bothers you. Oddly, the expletives that were shouted outside our room by drunk students staggering in at 2:00 in the morning did not bother my 10 year old and me nearly as much as hearing other guests' toilets flush after they threw up in their bathrooms. I will cancel my trip to Savannah before I stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Kristen C
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
I am very disappointed to read your review and hear you did not enjoy your stay. I wanted to personally apologize and to let you know I will certainly follow-up on the issue's you mentioned.

If you would like to share any further information about what transpired, please feel free to contact me directly at 912-629-2101. I sincerely apologize.

Jeff Fouste

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The positives. In spite of some other reviews, we found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating, the room to be comfortable, even though it was somewhat dated, and the breakfast had a good variety of foods to consider.
What hurt the rating, however, was the constant road noise as we had a room facing Bay Street. I had read previous reviews complaining of this and saw a white noise machine in the room, so I erroneously guessed that this would alleviate the noise. Wrong. I should have taken a room at the rear of the hotel, where our friends had a room. They said that the room was quiet all night. The worse part of the noise was the trucks, which diminished slightly after 10:00, but picked up again around 02:15 a.m. Yes, I was awake enough to track this.
If you visit the hotel, definitely get a room at the rear of the hotel, or find another place to stay.

Room Tip: As noted, take a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the great location, free breakfast and our awesome staff at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District. I do however apologize for the noisy streets, and I am sorry if it interfered with your stay in Savannah. I hope you are able to visit us again in the near future.

JEffrey A Fouste
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is located at the very beginning of the River experience in Savannah and about 2 blocks from City Market. Expect lots of street and party noise but there is a "canceller" that helps. A bit pricey for the quality but then that's Savannah.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with others! Thank you and enjoy your day! We hope you visit us again in the near future!

Thanks,
Florida, United States
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The door to the room had almost a two inch gap between the bottom of the door and the threshold. Went I proceed to the front desk to request a new room I noticed the other rooms were the same, so no need to ask. That night bugs were coming in so we had to stuff our pills under the door. Went to the front desk and cancelled the next two nights of our stay. In the morning the water pressure was horrible. Also, our room was not available until almost a hour after check in time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Erik W
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, when you post on Trip Advisor your comments are posted a day later. I am not only disappointed but embarrassed regarding your comments, and I will follow-up with the Housekeeping Manager and Maintenance Team immediately.

If you would like to share any further information about what transpired, please feel free to contact me directly at 912-629-2101. Again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Jeffrey A Fouste
Savannah, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2014

If you want the most awesome, the friendliest concierge, in the US, you need to see Mary at this Best Western. She is soooo great. My trip wouldn't have been as nice had I not had her to help us. The hotel is on the main road, so request a room in the back and maybe the noise of the street will be better. The breakfast is fabulous and the rooms are updated and clean.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to review the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District! We appreciate your kind words and appreciate your business! Have a wonderful day!

Thanks,
Jeffrey Fouste
Toronto
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel was a great location, walkable to terrific restaurants, the historic district, the river and boardwalk and all that glorious Savannah has to offer. The beds were comfortable; we ordered a king, but got two queens, however. It's a clean spot, with very helpful staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the north side of the building which was very quiet and our vehicle was nearby.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so excited to hear you enjoyed your visit in Savannah and your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District as well! We look forward to your return!

Thanks again,
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The staff was very courteous, room was clean, hotel grounds were clean, this was a perfect hotel to stay in. The computer wasn't working in the hotel lobby, but Guest Services was more than willing to print something up for me. Breakfast was very good also.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel but very disappointed to hear about your negative experience with the lobby computers. I will speak with the IT Company immediatley to get that resolved. Thank you and have a great day!