“Unexpectedly Amazing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Unexpectedly Amazing”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during my drive to Florida from Toronto. I had made the reservation for this property from Toronto, and was only expecting it to be reasonably clean for an overnight stay. I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful my room turned out to be, as the hotel from the outside is the run of the mill Best Western along the route to Florida.

My first unexpected delight was in finding a parking spot --there are two in fact--right close to the front entrance of the hotel reserved for checking in. What an incredibly civilized notion this is! Inside, my check-in was hospitable and cheerful. After checking in, I drove to the back of the hotel, and yes, the scenery at the back is nothing to write about, but I didn't feel uncomfortable.

When I walked into the room, I was seriously taken aback. I was not expecting that it would be actually beautiful, which it actually was. The bathroom, also large and spotless. The location of the hotel was also very well placed. Since I had arrived in the evening, and unfamiliar with the location, I only did the immediate vicinity walking around. I was charmed by the area, and found a great restaurant to dine in.

I liked this hotel so much, that I made reservations on my return trip home, and have recommended it to my friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveller0515
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We are delighted you made the decision to stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District! Thank you for the wonderful compliments and we look forward to serving you again on your trip back home!

Jeffrey A Fouste

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Savannah, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We traveled to Savannah for a girl's weekend. The location of the hotel is on the far end of River Street in Savannah but it is in a location that is convenient to walk to River Street or City Market in Savannah. It is also convenient to drive down onto River Street. The hotel offers free continental breakfast which is an added bonus. The breakfast is really a full breakfast and very good. The hotel can get a little noisy on weekends with guests coming in late from local bars around the corner. However, overall stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this hotel. The value compared to other hotels in Savannah is excellent!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

A good value is the key to enjoying your vacation! I am thrilled you chose the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District and were able to take advantage of all we have to offer such as the complimentary breakfast, great location, and awesome service! We hope to see you again!

Bangor, Maine
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Very nice hotel with incredible staff. The room was very clean. Great location for catching the tour buses, just had to cross the street. Only down side was the terrace view overlooks a vacant lot, not what I think of when picturing gorgeous Savannah, but just minutes away from breathtaking scenery.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Savannah! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Thanks again,
Clinton, South Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel is in a good location to walk to River Street and Antique shops. They are in the process of updating and remodeling. However, the beds are very uncomfortable and the noise level is high. They provide a noise machine (Sleep Mate) to turn on in the room to help block the noise. The staff were very courteous and nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the comfort of your bed and I will have Maintenance check on it at once.

I am excited to announce that over the next 6 months the hotel will be continuing the completion of the guest room renovation to include all new beds, bedding package, draperies, plantation shutters (in our beta tests we have seen noise complaints reduced by as much 50%), and that's in addition to the newly installed carpeting and 37" LED TV's!

Thank you and have a great day!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We have booked 2 rooms , new carpet was laid the day we came in. Very clean and comfortable. From here you are less than a block from the river front and the market street. We ate at the Cotton Exchange our first night and were very impressed with the food and service. We drove the 30k to Tybee island and had dinner at the rustic AJ's sunset diner and it lives up to all of its good reviews. The beach is very nice, although if you go in the evening I strongly suggest a sweater. Savannah is very pretty town and very easy to walk around. We are upset with River Cruises, they advertise a dinner cruise every night even with a banner on their boats and when we went to book a party of five we we told they only had Friday and Saturday night cruises.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your recent review as I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel but very disappointed to hear about your negative experience with teh riverboat. If you would like to share any further information about what transpired, please feel free to contact me directly at 912-233-1011. I sincerely apologize.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2014

booked a four day stay here last month (Jan 2014)...have stayed here once before. Very disappointed. The room was old and the bed was very uncomfortable. The door to the room had issues closing properly. The biggest problem was the traffic noise from Bay Street. Loud tractor trailers, noisy motorcycles, sirens from police cars and ambulances, and pedestrians walking by yelling, all hours of the night. The food at breakfast time was edible but you had to elbow your way up to it to get some.

We ended up leaving a day early....

Room Tip: if you have to stay here...try to get a room on the river side of the hotel away from the street. Th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I was very disappointed to read your review and hear you did not enjoy your stay. I wanted to personally apologize for the issue with your room door, and to let you know I will certainly follow-up on all of the the other issue's you mentioned as well as apologize for the noisy streets that interfered with your stay in Savannah.

Thank you again for your comments and if you are returning to the Savannah area, I would love for you to call me (912) 629-2101. I will be happy to offer you a discount on your next visit.

Cocoa, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I went for a 5 night road trip to the Smoky Mountains. We planned for an overnight stay in Savannah on our way home and booked the Best Western due to its price point and proximity to the River Street area. This couldn't have been a more wonderful end to a great weekend. This place was amazing...much better than expected. They were working on renovations, and our room must have been one of the recently renovated ones. You can definitely tell that this owner takes pride in his establishment, and wants his customers to be happy. We didn't take advantage of the free breakfast because we had plans to eat at Huey's on River Street. Although, I did venture to get coffee while we were getting ready. From what I saw, the free breakfast looked on the upper end of what you will find at most hotels. All in all, this was a great place, with a great location. We will be back!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am thrilled you chose the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District and were able to take advantage of all we have to offer such as our great location, and awesome service!

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with others!

I hope when you return to Savannah you become one of the many BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District fans and a repeat guest! I am glad you enjoyed everything!