“What Not To Love”

Ranked #8 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Georgia
“What Not To Love”
Reviewed October 16, 2005

We have just returned from a wonderful visit to the Foley House Inn. We stayed on the second floor and our room was both lovely and private. Each morning we had a very tasty breakfast. In the afternoons we were treated to tea and scrumptious cakes and cookies. We were always greeted by smiling faces and given such helful information about the city and places to visit. In the evenings before going to dinner we would have a glass of wine and h'ordeurves. Cordials were always available. The Inn is located within walking distance to all the major historic sites so we did all of our touring by foot. what a great location and what a great Inn. We are very picky people and I think that this was one of our best holidays.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank fyiguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Reviewed October 16, 2005

My Husband and I were expecting the Foley Inn to be more of an upscale experience. We are used to upscale and don't mind paying the price to insure we receive it. We were very disappointed by the state of disrepair the Inn was in as well as in our ammenities.
The staff was nice when they were around. Sometimes you had to hunt for them. We found our host outside twice on a smoking break.
The bed was very comfy and the location of the Inn was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reevesville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2005

My husband and I spent a terrific day and night in beautiful Savannah.
Our accomodations at Foley Inn were superb. Gracious and accommodating staff members made our stay even more pleasant. They were friendly and made us feel as if we were truly special. Our night was a gift from our daughter. It was our first visit at Foley's, but we do not plan for it to be our last. We were within walking distance of everything we wanted to visit. The weather was wonderful, the walks refreshing, and the dining experiences very tasty. It was a relaxing visit. Hopefully, we will return in the near future.

4 Thank cwb255
Reviewed October 1, 2005

My husband wanted to surprise me for our 30th wedding anniversary. He contacted the Foley House and the staff were very helpful in planning our weekend getaway. They made all the arrangements for our tours and a romantic dinner at the Pink HOuse. Once we arrived, everyone went out of their way to make our stay memorable. Our room was lovely and we found the food to be excellent. The chef was even willing to share some of her receipes with me. I would recommend the Foley House for a memorable trip. This is truly a lovely place to stay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 23, 2005

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful Jackie was especially helpful with her knowledge of the city making the most of our short stay. The room was clean and beautiful and all the extras were greatly appreciated. Breakfast, teatime, and the cocktail hour made our stay that much mor special. Beryl was a charming and gracious hostess. The only thing we felt need improvement was the coffee.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
georgia
Reviewed September 10, 2005

To our friends from Charleston, "very disappointing" lighten up, Frances! The Foley House is one of the nicest Inns in Savannah. Wonderful breakfast( much more than you get in Charleston I might add) been to most there so I know.

The Innkeepers are owner/managers and they care. Many of our Inns are now corporate and the owner/Innkeepers are disappearing. Don and Beryl are always around, not so at some of the other Inns.

If you want a nice experience do not miss the Foley.

Stayed September 2005
1 Thank BallastoneInn
Charleston, SC
Reviewed September 3, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our stay at The Foley House for our anniversary. Upon arrival we were greeted by their concerierge on a cordless phone who swooped us into the parlor where we sat for 10 min. before we were greeted by Don the Innkeeper. He gave us a map and highlighted on it where we were and where we should walk. he then gave us a book and a paper with resteraunts and a few brochures.(things I had already looked into and acquired prior to my stay, I would have preferred to hear the favorites of his, and why) Then the girl on the telephone, returned & took us to our room. We stayed in the Stafford Suite, which was supposed to be the nicest. The room itself was fine, although the art didn't seem to go with the style or era of the hotel. The craftmanship of the jucuzzi surround in the bathroom was terrible, globs of caulk, things very out of line and not just due to age.The toilet paper was rough, and weeds were growing from the flower box on the balcony;no flowers. As far as the desserts and appetizers they write of and display on their web site--it's not what we were provided with. Night one simple brownies and a pastry filled w/ raspberry, the brie and crackers.(we had to track somene down to ask what the foods were and you served yourself) Night 2 Tuna and cucumbers, and tomatoes..the dessert was yummy to me, but there was only the one, so if you didn't like chocolate you were out of luck. We never got the sweet on our pillow, or to hear stories from the Innkeepers. There was only one staff person there at night. Breakfast was fine, you got 2 choices, cold cereal, or a hot meal of the chefs choice, I guess I expected more choices. For $350 a night I expected to be pampered...or at very least wished "Happy Anniversary!" I always give praise where it is deserved, but will also give a critique when need, and this owner would not admit to the service being of less than is portrayed on his website or literature. What has happened to customer service?

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank tumbletime
, Innkeeper/Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2005
My husband, Don, responded to this guest's email complaint immediately following her stay and exteneded our regrets at her disappointment. We are sorry that her stay at Foley House was so disappointing, unlike the experiences the countless hundreds of our guests have experienced over the years. However, this guest was given a proper welcome and initial concierge service. My husband personally spent more than 30 minutes reviewing restaurants and available tour options and making recommendations to this guest. There were a minimum of two Foley personnel on the property at all times to assist with questions regarding dining, entertainment, etc, but the staff informed us that this guest decided to order in-room pizza. What a shame that she did not experience some of our great restaurants and night life.
The owners of the Foley House cannot be on property each and every day and we count on our staff of 12 people to respond to guest services when we are not present. We know that the weather was a bit unpleasant during the time this guest was with us what with the rain and all, but we were hopeful that guests would rise above it and take advantage of the dozens of historical attractions that Savannah has to offer, all within walking distance of the Foley house.
Lastly, we made every attempt to keep our personal tragedy from our guests, so it was decided that my husband would be there to greet and assist guests as they checked in and that I would remain at home. I later learned that our chef shared the details of our tragedy with this guest that my entire family had been either displaced or was unaccounted for as a result of the New Orleans disaster and that, in fact, my only brother was lost in the flood waters and presumed dead. This guest was also informed that I was not on the property because I was at home caring for and consoling my 77 years old mother who had just lost her home, her family and possibly her only son.
In any event, I suppose that the quality of guest services is somewhat of a subjective experience, and we regret that this guest's stay was such a disappointment.