“A realistic look at the Foley”
Review of Foley House Inn

Foley House Inn
Ranked #8 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Foley House Inn for two nights after Christmas. I had read recommendations of this Inn, both on Trip Advisor and on Southern Living.com. Although this hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff, overall, it did not live up to its reviews as a luxury inn.
One thing prospective travelers should note is that there is no parking provided. Although you can buy a parking pass from the front desk, if available, even in the best case scenario you are still on your own to find parking on the street. If you find a good spot, you won't want to move your car for fear of losing the spot. This is a little bit limiting.
Secondly, although the historic buildings are charming, this inn really is need of an overhall. In a town strewn with impeccably upgraded historic homes, it does not shine. The entire building seems to tilt to one side. It was easy to imagine the creaky old stairwell giving way. Both inside and outside you can see pockets of peeling paint and decaying wood. Our room, Stafford, was large and had many lovely pieces of furniture. However, the carpet seemed old and dirty, and the fireplace hissed and spluttered in a way that made me a bit nervous. The bathroom was remodeled in a modern decor that didn't really connect with the rest of the room. Surprise of all surprises, the tiny balcony was accessed through rickedy french doors in the bathroom, which made using it awkward at times.
The front desk staff was friendly and made every attempt to be helpful, but they seemed a bit harried and understaffed for this busy holiday period. Breakfast food and service were just so-so.
The Foley House Inn has charm, location, and friendliness to recommend it. For the price, however, I think you could do better. On this same trip we stayed at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleson. The price of $299 was the same for both, but the experience at the Foley was not even close to matching the relaxed luxury and service at the Wentworth. Foley has some work to do if it would like to remain competitive in this market.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelmom92
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2009

While I appreciate the opinions and criticism of travelmom92, I must respond to a few points this guest has made. Parking is not a problem. We always have a 48-hour pass available for 8 dollars and I park at the Inn everyday and I have rarely had to walk more then half a block. You can also use that pass to park at any meter in the historic district for free. It's a great deal for 8 bucks.

I can assure that neither of our buildings "tilts" in any direction. When I purchased this property 2 1/2 years ago I had a structural engineering survey done and the buildings are in tiptop shape. Yes, the stairs creek a bit as they do in any historic property but they are quite safe and in no way in danger of type of collapse as travelmom92 insinuated.

I do agree with travelmom92 when she says, "the hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff". This guest stayed in one of our finest rooms (204 Stafford) with a newly renovated bath and a balcony that overlooks the square our Inn sits on. Our Inn is a labor of love. It's not a "Hilton" and was not built in 1860 to be a hotel. This is what makes up half of its beauty and charm. The other half comes from Chiquita, Gina, Jason, Miss Mamie, Miss Data and all of the rest of the amazing staff I am privileged to know and work with every day. They all love the Inn and it's guests as much as my wife and I do. I am sorry that travelmom92 did not enjoy her stay. We make it our business to ensure that every guest walks away pleased. In this case we fell short. We are always working to improve our Inn and I have noted her suggestions as I do everyone's. It keeps me on my toes.

Grant Rogers
Owner
Foley House Inn
PS. She is dead wrong about one thing. Our breakfast is AMAZING! That's why I am fat!

There are newer reviews for Foley House Inn

Reviewed December 31, 2008

We spent five nights at the Foley House Inn, a beautiful and comfortable facility with an efficient and attentive staff. The breakfast was bountiful and delicious, as were the sweets in the afternoon and the evening snacks served with wine. Our room was lovely and nicely furnished, including a flat screen tv.

The staff of the Inn is a big plus. Gina and Shannon made numerous reservations and other arrangements for us while providing insider information about the city. Mamie and Delia were especially helpful, tweaking our food preferences with good humor.

Foley House is perfect -- right in the middle of the historic district. We appreciated being within walking distance of everything we wanted to do but still a good distance away from the busy river area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2008

My wife and I enjoyed a long weekend getaway in Savannah at the Foley House Inn. This was our 2nd stay there; the 1st was in 2003. This stay was even better. We enjoyed our spacious room (301 "Easton Lodge") which had a bay window overlooking the square. Jason, the host, was very warm and accomodating. We enjoyed wine and hors d'ouvres with the other guests in the living room nightly at 6pm. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I stayed at the Foley House last month, and I'm so glad I did. The staff was gracious and welcoming, and the Inn was beautiful. My room was spacious, clean and tastefully furnished. I especially enjoyed the breakfast and homemade treats in the afternoon. The location is great too, being within walking distance to everything I wanted to see. I'm already planning to come back...the Foley House is my "home away from home" in Savannah!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Before I begin, let me say that I am normally the type of traveler that will stay in a brand-new Marriott or Hilton Hotel when traveling and have never stayed in a bed and breakfast before. But for my first trip to Savannah, I wanted to have a more authentic experience. I recently stayed at the Foley House Inn (November 2008) for a romantic getaway weekend with my boyfriend. It was my first time visiting the city and our first time staying at a bed & breakfast. And I must say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED everything about the Foley House Inn.

The staff was extremely friendly and went above & beyond to make us feel at home. Whenever we needed something, be it directions or snacks, the staff always responded quickly and courteously to our requests. We had the pleasure of staying in the Wren House on the top floor. Our room was so gorgeous, beyond spacious, and very clean. The bathroom had an amazingly large jacuzzi tub and lovely view of the square across the street. The bedroom has lovely antique furniture, a nice fireplace, and a beautiful four-poster bed. I felt so comfortable and at home during our stay that we didn't want to leave at the end of the weekend.

We also enjoyed the fact that a fresh southern breakfast was served each morning, followed by appetizers and wine in the evenings for all guests. This aspect of the B&B experience I liked because you do NOT get that type of service included in your stay at a regular chain hotel.

The location was very convenient for us as well, especially since we were new to the area. We were able to walk to Drayton and River Streets, which both had some great little shops, bars, and excellent restaurants. The neighborhood was quiet and I felt safe walking to & from the hotel at night.

I would definitely recommend the Foley House Inn to anyone who wants a quiet and relaxing stay while in Savannah. I plan on staying there the next time I visit the city! It made my trip that much more memorable!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 21, 2008

There is a group of individuals (8 of us) that take a weekend once per year and experience a bed and breakfast together. We choose a B & B from the Select Registry and look forward to this trip all year. We have been doing this for over 6 years. This year, we were incredibly disappointed. Really not sure how this property was in the registry. We are NOT hard to please however here is some feedback because we really do love B & B's!!!
No property manager...in fact the young lady working said she had only seen the owner once on property in over a year?? It was so obvious there was no Owner involvement. The fireplace in the most expensive room was leaking gas and both my husband and I were sick. Over $800 the room should have been outstanding. Our friend said their room had dust everywhere, looked as though no one had stayed there in months. The help was less than professional???? We had to get our own coffee for breakfast, butter was frozen, no suger free food for diabetes, the menu was a joke.

Stayed: November 2008
foleyinnowner, Owner/Innkeeper at Foley House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2008

My name is Grant Rogers and I am the owner of the Foley House Inn. I am truly sorry that anderson59 did not enjoy their stay at our inn. My staff and I work very hard to ensure that every guest leaves fully satisfied and obviously in the case of the anderson59 we have failed. I do feel compelled to respond to some of the accusations made by these guests.

As I said, I am the owner and I am here Monday - Friday from about 8am to 5pm. I see and talk to all of my employees and many of my guests everyday. Please feel free to call me. The Inn's number is 800-647-3708. I will be happy to talk to you about our Inn, a reservation or the weather. When I am not here I am always on call and can be reached at a moments notice. Also, when I am not here one of my managers, Chiquita or Gina is here. At no time is the Inn without qualified management on site.

I checked the room that anderson59 stayed in. There is no smell of gas. That room (104 Essex) is our most popular because it has 2 working fireplaces and I have never had such a complaint from anyone before. In fact, anderson59 never complained about it while they were here. If they had I would have had a repair man look at it and I would have offered to move them to another room. They never let anyone know there was such a problem.

We are always happy to cater to special dietary needs. All we need is a days notice so we can prepare something special. We do not stock sugar free syrup as these guests asked for at breakfast but that is an excellent suggestion and I will do so in the future. Diabetic, Kosher, Vegitarian or Vegan...Not a problem

My wife Allisen and I take great pride in our Inn and more importantly in our guests enjoyment. Had these guests given me any indication that they were unhappy I would have done anything in my power to fix it. Posting what I feel is unsubstantiated comments after the fact does not help me in making you happy. And that is what I and my staff strive for most. Again, my sincerest apology to anderson59.

Reviewed November 7, 2008

It took me awhile to write this review but having stayed at other B&B's in other parts of the country made me realize what a gem the Foley house is. The service was wonderful, warm without being intrusive. The breakfast was unreal. They had tea hour and at a later hour they had wonderful wine and port as well as delicious appetizers made fresh every evening not just a plate of cheese as I've seen sadly at other B&B's that cost the same amount of money to stay in.

The rooms are like a trip back in time. The Holidays were an amazing time to go. This to me is the way every B&B should treat its guests. It is expensive but well worth every penny. You are not just paying for the luxury of being in Savannah but for the small unique thoughtful details of the inn which really make you feel decadent and very well taken care of.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family