“Beautiful hotel -- Good Value for the money”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport
Ranked #43 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at Cambria for two nights in Oct. 2009 and the room was beautiful. Two flat screen TVs were an added bonus, one for me and one for my hubby. We went to a wedding in the historic district and the drive was about 20 minutes, but worth the money we saved. I loved the modern decor and the breakfast buffet was worth the money. I wish they would open one in Downtown Savannah.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Great hotel. Feels like a 4 star place.

Stayed here on our way from Missouri to Fort Lauderdale. I was travelling with my elderly father (86), and my bad back (2 herniated discs) in his 15-year-old, tiny Saturn station wagon. I had been told by my doctor to find a place with an indoor pool, for the purposes of soaking to stretch my back out at the end of each driving day. My dad needed a room with handicap amenities (shower handles).

This place was absolutely perfect.

The previous night we had stayed in a Country Inn and Suites (CI&S), at a total cost of around $95. Our stay here, at Cambria, cost $120 with taxes. It was the best $25 extra I've ever spent on a hotel. 100% worth the extra money.

While on paper both have a fairly similar set of amenities, in reality the difference in quality and comfort is striking. The CI&S outside of Lebanon, TN we used the night before was terrible. The place was run down: beds uncomfortable, room dirty & smelled like cigarettes, and noise from highway and other rooms very audible. The place was full of bad smells, from an overpowering, cheap air freshener smell in the hallways to rotting garbage in the stairwell. Even the in-room coffee pot was missing the glass carafe. Their idea of amenities--aside from the over chlorinated pool--was a small bookshelf in the tiny lobby filled with crappy old books that you could borrow to read while there.

A lending library? Clearly they were catering to an older, unsophisticated crowd. Their so-called "business center" was an out-of-date computer in a tiny closet, so small you could barely turn around inside it.

The Cambria Suites, on the other hand, felt brand new, even though it had been open for two years. The lobby was open and spacious, with a large flat screen showing a football game surrounded by comfortable couches. It also had a small bar/restaurant around 10 seats long, serving food by Wolfgang Puck (excellent turkey sandwich) and good beer (Fat Tire) as well as full liquor (top shelf, including Makers Mark and Grey Goose). Kerri, the bartender, obviously liked her job and provided some pleasant conversation while also giving me the remote for the flat screen behind the bar.

The room was spacious, clean, and fresh smelling. It consisted of a separate sitting area and bedroom area, with plenty of room.

There was a large desk with both a wired and wireless Internet connection, a quad power outlet (which I took full advantage of with my two laptops, cell phone, etc) and, the touch which won me over being in the technology industry, a connection panel which provided assorted connections to the 40" flatscreen for your laptop or portable DVD player, including HDMI. This panel also had a 5V outlet, for charging your iPhone/iPod Touch. Very impressive, and indicative of a company run by forward-thinking people. My kind of people.

The fitness center was huge. The only, very minor, gripe I can come up with was regarding the pool. It was fairly small and shallow, and the hot tub was also. Since I was the only one using them, and all I wanted to do was stretch my back by hanging on the edge in the deep end, it was adequate. If I had wanted to swim laps, it would have been tough though. No big deal.

When we woke up in the morning, the hotel had slipped a copy of the day's Wall Street Journal under our door with a copy of our receipt, taking care of our checkout for us. Very convenient.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are in the market for a mid-level hotel, STAY HERE, not at the CI&S. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NativeSonFL
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Cambria is a good choice with excellent modern facilities. Others have covered that aspect so I won't go there.

We, however, had a lemon in a suite called 116. This one is right next to the indoor pool - more precisely the mechanical room of the pool/hotel. The paper thin wall in the room made us feel like we were sleeping right next to the pumps with a loud constant irritating noise.

The staff was co-operative and offered a different room. But, we were way settled in with kids fast asleep when we started to notice the sound and had to "settle" for the room. We were also offered a discount for the inconvenience which was nice.

So, stay in Cambria, but stay clear of 116.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

The Comfort Suites did not have a crib for our reservation and we were given 20 minutes to find a new hotel before being charged for our rooms. We went to the Cambria Suites and they had two rooms and took great care of us. The rooms were clean and well thought out, great for business and they also fit a family with kids. They had access to cribs unlike the Comfort Suites nearby. I wish their breakfast buffet was free, it knocks the value down a tick for us. We will stay here every year from here on out when we fly in to SAV.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My family & I were in Savannah for the weekend. We had been staying @ the Wingate Airport until the attack of the red ants begin, lol. I contacted Cambria Suites close to midnight to inquire on room availability. They were awesome...they actually matched the rate that I was paying @ Wingate.

I decided to check the room out prior to paying for it. Wow, I was very pleased at what I saw. We had a suite w/ 2 beds, sofa, 2 flat screen televisions, and a micro/fridge area.

The beds were comfy, hotel was quiet and the staff was very accomodating.

The airport hotel location is about twenty minutes from downtown & 30 minutes from the beach.

Be sure to visit Cancun Mexican Restuarant (near hotel) for excellent & affordable mexican food.

I look forward to staying here on my next visit to Tybee Island.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Fabulous, stylish, and "budget luxurious" property at a very attractive price.

However, there were signs of a lack of attention to detail in our beautiful king mini-suite. In several locations something (coffee?) had been splashed onto the walls and not cleaned. Overall, an upscale new property with a level of style and luxury more suited to a property costing $50-100 more.

About a 20-25 minute drive into Savannah downtown historic areas - worth it for a new, clean property without downtown headaches (i.e. parking costs).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PRDuffy
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Stayed here overnight on a trip to WDW in Orlando. Hotel is convenient to I-95 and right outside the Savannah airport. The property is new with an interesting modern and boutique hotel vibe. Staff was friendly and check-in proceeded smoothly. While the price point was in the sub-$150 range, the value was not really there especially with a not particularly clean room. We had a ketchup stain on the work desk, crumbs on the desk chair, and hair in the bathroom sink. This made it hard to like an otherwise interesting hotel in the category crowded wtih Staybridges, Hilton Garden Inns, and similar. The Cambria charged about $10 for breakfast in the morning and high speed internet was free. All in all a mixed bag experience with the housekeeping issues.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family