“Please give us more Cambria Suites!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport
Ranked #40 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Forest, Virginia
“Please give us more Cambria Suites!!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

As a Choice Privileges Elite Diamond member I have seen the Cambria Suites name on promotional materials and on the their website but have never actually seen one in all my travels. While in the Savannah area, I saw there was a Cambria Suites and went to my Choice Hotels app on my phone to make a reservation only to find out there was no room available. I decided to call the hotel and see if there might be a room available since they sometimes keep a room available for Elite members or maybe there was a cancellation. As luck would have it, they had a very late checkout that was just cleaned & available. Derrick that answered the phone was very professional and helpful.

Upon my arrival & check-in, I was greeted by Daniela. She was very friendly & efficient and even brought a welcome bottle of water & snack to my room after I got to my room. The lobby was very spacious & modern with a bistro & bar similar to a Courtyard hotel but much nicer. My room was extremely spacious and well appointed with decorator touches. The TV sitting area was like a small living room and the bathroom was very modern except the sink & vanity could stand to be moved over a foot so that you're not standing against the toilet while at the sink. The toiletries were all from Bath & Body Works. The room also had a fridge, microwave & coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee & teas. My only two nuisance complaints about the room other than the bathroom sink was the water running down the drain from the room above that could be heard while in the TV area and there was no outlet next to the bed to plug my phone in at night but I consider those fairly minor.

The workout room was very spacious with several cardio machines and a weight machine. The breakfast is not included but my room rate with my AAA discount was under $100 so I could afford to pay for breakfast with all the other benefits of this property. My only major complaint is why aren't there more Cambria Suites?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GRofVA
CambriaSAV, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that we could accommodate you at the last minute and it sounds like Cambria Suites has won a new loyal customer. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheryl Sanderlin GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I chose Cambria Suites while visiting Savannah for the first time primarily because we had stayed in one in Columbus, Ohio, and was extremely pleased with our stay. I wish I could say the same about this hotel. We booked a tower room and looked forward to staying there, despite the higher price. Immediately upon entering the room, we were overcome with the odor of mold/mildew. We looked for the source, possibly a wet carpet near the air conditioner, mini fridge, or even a wet towel, with no success. I even sprayed my travel Lysol spray with the hope that the smell would dissipate. No such luck. My nose started to run, and my throat started to get itchy and clogged. I went down to the front desk, told them of the situation, and they gave us a room change. We thought our problems would be over. The next day, after paying close to $10 for a small bowl of oatmeal and a cup of tea (DON'T eat breakfast here), we left to go sightseeing in Savannah and were gone for the entire day. Upon returning, I noticed that the bathroom looked exactly as I had left it (towels wet from the shower, face towel draped on sink). Then when we walked into the bedroom, we discovered that the bed hadn't been made, either! No one had cleaned our room that day! I went to call the front desk, but guess what? The phone in the living room area didn't work! I then proceeded to use the phone in the bedroom, which luckily worked. Instead of offering an apology for the missed cleaning, I was asked whether or not I had left the "Do not disturb" sign on our door! We most certainly did not. We then asked for clean towels, and they did send someone up with them a little later. A man later came to fix the phone, but he was unable to. No one from management ever called us to apologize for the laundry list of things that had gone wrong during our stay, nor offer us a reduction in the bill, a voucher, etc. Needless to say, we will not recommend this place to anyone staying in the area, and suggest they stay at the many other fine hotels located in the same area, who probably offer a free breakfast, clean rooms, and staff people attuned to the comfort of their customers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CambriaSAV, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to express your disappointment so that can follow up on the issues. I do see a note about your room change and I apologize for the smell and inconvenience. I see notes where maintenance inspected your room upon departure and checked for any prominent issues and none could be found that could be causing this. I inspected the room myself today and the smell is no longer present. I can only assume that it may have been caused by the large amounts of rain we have had over the last few months and as an added measure, I will continue to monitor it. I apologize if your room was not cleaned when you returned. I do show the do not disturb sign on your door the first part of the day but do not show a follow up check later to see if it was removed, which is our housekeeping policy. I will review this in our weekly meeting because not following these simple steps can cause issues for a guests such as this. Again my apologies and I do hope that you will not let this deter you from giving us another opportunity in the future. Cheryl Sanderlin GM
Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here this weekend. This is a very nice hotel. The room was clean as was the rest of the property. We did not use the restaurant or bar but it appeared to be a busy area while we were there. One of my favorite things was the room had two TVs! AWESOME! The front desk personnel were very courteous and helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. I wasn't sure but this hotel appeared to be new which always makes things nice and clean for the most part.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CambriaSAV, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased you were happy with your stay and especially the room set up. Having the two different areas with seprate TV's does make it convenient, especially when everyone wants to watch something different! I am glad you thought we were new. We are actually four years old but work hard to maintain the hotel so that it will continue to stay fresh and enjoyable. See you again soon. Cheryl Sanderlin GM
Crestview, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stay here every time we are in Savannah. The hotel is high class for the price of much less quality hotels. The staff treat us like family and go out of their way to make every stay pleasant. The rooms are large and full amenities. Great breakfast made to order. Nice little bar with good food. All the facilities you want and need and a shuttle to and from the airport. We love it!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. We love our guests that continue to return over and over again like you...it is our goal to make you feel like part of the family because you are. See you next visit. Cheryl Sanderln GM
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Very good property. The rooms are very clean and beautifully decorated. The toiletteries provided by the hotel were superior in quality. Very near to the Airport. Several food joints near by. Great value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Glad to hear you were pleased with your stay. I agree with you on the amenities. The Bath & Body works toiletries and the Wolfgang Puck coffees just add that little something extra. Please don’t forget us in your future travels so that we can take care of you again in the future. Cheryl Sanderlin GM
Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here with my family in the summer and drove a little longer than I had planned to stay again. It is the best! I relaxed in the lobby with a glass of wine before retiring to my comfortable huge room to watch TV. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. I had a lovely breakfast the next morning with an omelette made just for me and great coffee. Every staff member was very polite and helpful. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to express how much you enjoyed your stay as well as driving the extra few miles to be with us again. We hope to see you again soon. Cheryl Sanderlin GM
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are enormous and absolutely gorgeous. We stayed only one night on our way through to Florida and will definitely stay here again. We had connecting rooms - one accessible King and a Queen Suite. Both rooms had sleeper sofas and mini fridges. The rooms were modern and clean.

The only downside was that we expected more from the breakfast buffet. The made-to-order omelettes were tasty, but there was only one person cooking so it took a while. The standard offerings were rather skimpy; however, the french toast was to die for. There is no self serve coffee and tea service in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy S
CambriaSAV, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I am so pleased to hear that you loved your rooms and the way they connected. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the speed of service and with the breakfast buffet and what it has to offer. It does take a little longer since we do cook the eggs to order, my apologies if it was slower than normal. We attempt to provide as many options as possible, changing it at times for variety. We always try to include an array of all you can eat items such as cooked to order eggs and omelets, with over 20 ingredients to add to the omelets, several choices of meats, homemade frittatas, grits, fresh chopped hashbrowns, oatmeal, cereals, occasionally french toast and burrittos, fresh muffins that we bake in house each morning, assorted pastries along with a choice of 3 to 4 juices each morning. Since we operate a restaurant with a full service coffee bistro, we do not place complimentary coffee in the lobby, just the rooms. Hope to see you again soon! Cheryl Sanderlin GM