“Clean, hospitable, comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #11 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We chose this hotel based on other reviewers. We were not disappointed and would stay here again. The location is fabulous, walking distance to just about everything. we stayed two nights and thoroughly enjoyed Savannah. we paid $108.00 with our AAA discount. The Hampton Inn is directly across the street and we looked at the rooms there also, basically identical. The lobby is a bit more charming but how much time will you spend there. The price however was $60.00 more. The only improvement here, a stronger morning coffee. Really. The staff was extremely courteous and housekeeping was great. The Beds were comfortable, many pillow choices and clean carpet! Make sure you request a room off Bay Street if you are noise sensitive. Also, it is $15 per day to park or $1 per hour. The garage is directly next to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa17Provincetown
Write a ReviewReviews (2,591)

Reviewed January 13, 2011

We were totally surprised at the high level of this hotel, considering that it was very reasonable ($125/night), in a fantastic location (right across from the riverfront, and near other historic attractions), and with a beautiful lobby, and very nice included breakfast. The room was very clean, very spacious, and beds were extremely comfortable. We walked everywhere from this hotel, and found it to be one of the best bargains of our entire trip. Stay here, and you will be very happy you did!

1  Thank lynda19LongIsland
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We arrived on New Years Eve. We knew it was going to be busy so we were prepared. The staff was very courteous and held our luggage while we waited for check in. We received a prompt call that our room was ready. We received one of the corner rooms on the 7th floor facing the river. Other reviews mentioned the noise, but we only noticed normal sounds in a busy city. We received a very nice bottle of complimentary champagne for our anniversary with a hand written note, which was a nice touch and appreciated/

The hotel is in a fabulous location and we were easily able to walk everywhere. Only complaint was that our room was not cleaned on Saturday when we were out an about. We arrived back at our room around 5 PM and decided to take a nap before dinner instead of calling and asking to have it cleaned. It was New Years day and I am sure the cleaning staff was very busy.

Nice hotel in a great location.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

After doing a ton of research through reviews on various websites, including Tripadvisor, decided on HIE - Historic Savannah for an extended family pre-Christmas vacation. I was a bit nervous as I haven't stayed with a Holiday Inn property in many, many years. However, I had faith from the very good reviews this property received as well as the fact that the Holiday Inn brand overall has been going through a major overall in recent years. Much to my pleasure, the good reviews were spot on. Both myself and my family were extremely pleased with this property.

The location is absolutely perfect for a visit to historic Savannah. Just steps away from River Street and it backs up to lovely Renyolds Square. Short walk to many of the historic attractions in Savannah .

The hotel's lobby was very pretty - not what I would have expected at a HIE. The building, while new, fits in quite well with the historic area. We found the breakfast area to be very nice - it has one of the largest dining areas that we have ever seen for a property in this hotel class. You never had to worry about finding an open table to eat at unlike so many other Hampton Inns that we have stayed at around the country. The selection at breakfast itself was very nice - a good selection of both hot and cold items that were kept stocked.

We found the staff at the hotel to be pleasant and helpful. Almost every one of the staff that we ran into smiled and said "hello" with the exception of one maintenance worker who didn't bother to even look up when we greated him in the elevator - but we didn't mind him since we were on vacation. As a note, we did find various retail people around Savannah to be hit or miss in the pleasant/customer service department. This was especially true on River Street shops - many of them acted like they were doing you a favor by waiting on you. However, this was the exact opposite in the restaurants. Don't know why this is in Savannah given a lot of their economy counts on tourism. It was nice to find the property had a bar open in the evenings - the bartender was very nice and customer oriented.

Regarding the parking situation at HIE - it is a bit confusing. When we first arrived at the hotel, we totally missed the turn in to the valet area of HEI and pulled right into the parking deck and parked ourselves. We didn't think it was too big of a deal to unload our things there in the deck since we had all-wheeled luggage. When we inquired about the parking when we checked in, the front desk took our parking receipt and stamped it and then gave a run down on our parking options - from either keep parked in the deck ourselves for something like $ 10.00 a day or giving our keys to the valet and then paying $ 15.00 a day. Anyways - we ended up just keeping the car parked in the deck on our own (it's the same deck that the hotel uses to valet) as it was a very quick walk over to the deck. We ended up paying only $ 17.00 total for parking for keeping it there Sunday - Thur. (and we took the car out of the deck on our own a least twice). Don't know how we came up to only that sum when it should have been a lot more - I do know the first day was free since the stamp that the hotel placed on our parking receipt ended up being a free day stamp. I think the HIE really does need to make the parking charge situation clearer. However, unless you really have a need for valet or would just prefer using valet, I recommend self-parking in this deck yourself.

As for the hotel's rooms - we had two double queen balcony rooms facing Bay Street on the 3rd floor - both rooms were very nice. We found them clean and nicely decorated. The bathrooms in both rooms were huge. One room was a handicapped room, so to be arranged properly, it didn't have a big bathroom counter - while the other room had a huge counter - but this wasn't a big deal. One caution for people that do not like street-noise - I would recommend against a balcony room on Bay Street then - Bay Street is a very busy street that tends to get loud trucks and such. While as the evening progresses, traffic does lessen - but it starts up early in the morning. From what we determined, the doors going out onto the balcony don't have the best seal - so they are the best in soundproofing. Again, this wasn't a big deal to us - but it could bother others. Another item to keep in mind is that periodically during our stay, a bad sewage type smell would waft into the room. It puzzled us at first, but after checking it out, it was always after a large freighter would come down the Savannah River - it had nothing to do with the hotel - it would waft in through the balcony doors. We had first thought it was the carpet, hotel plumbing - but then found it was indeed from outside as we stepped out onto the balcony and immediately had to run back in. However, we only noticed it twice during our 4 night stay and always after a freighter. Back to the rooms - comfortable beds, good heating/cooling, fridge, microwave, nice television and a lot of drawer space. Thought the room furniture was in good condition. Very good value for your money.

One odd item we had was the morning we were to leave the hotel, one of our rooms received a bill but ours didn't. Thought that was odd, so we stopped at the front desk when we were leaving and we were told that we didn't receive a bill since our room had been reserved as "Advanced Purchase" - meaning non-refundable rate if canceled. I knew this was absolutely incorrect as I reserved both rooms at the same time with the exact same rate and I would never reserve "Advanced Purchase" room - no matter how less expensive it was. I also my reservation confirmation with me indicating otherwise. However, it really didn't matter to us at this point. But this could have been a real problem if we had ended up canceling our trip to Savannah at the last minute. My advice is to be sure to have print a copy of your reservation confirmation and have it in hand with you. The actual reservations I had made for both rooms had been a "Special Savings" rate which allowed room cancellation up to 6:00 p.m. the day before our intended arrival.

Would I stay at this HIE again when in Savannah - yes I would if I wanted to be near River Street and wanted a hotel type place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2011

On our way back from Disney, we decided to drive through historic Savannah to see if we wanted to stay the night. We quickly decided to and chose the HIE. At the time, the room rate was a bargain compared to some of the other hotels in the historic area. We found the room and bathroom to be extremely clean and comfortable. I am surprised to read of other reviewers having negative experiences. The beds were very comfortable and I needed the rest after driving from Orlando. The pool was closed on the roof and we were directed across the street to the sister hotel's pool. This was odd but worked perfectly. Our whole family enjoyed our stay and I will definitely give the HIE another shot when we are in town.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Will agree whole-heartedly with "WilliamFaith" review preceeding mine. Other than the excellent location, this Holiday Inn Express has nothing else to offer. We likewise experienced the broken elevator (only one was working), but we were on the fifth floor with a 90 year old and could not make use of the stairs. Half of the time the elevator was filled with Staff going in one direction or the other ladden with carts, etc. Valet (he was very nice) parking was $15.00 and we were told that if we wanted to park the car ourselves, we could use the public parking garage to the right of the side entrance. (Unprotected? Never asked so I do not know. Used the Valet.) Staff was so-so at the front desk. Nothing like the jovial greetings we got elsewhere on our two week vacation from Pittsburgh to Orlando and back. Breakfast was the normal fare with large room and many tables. They did provide a good variety with graneola (sp?) bars, yogart, fresh fruit, etc. Now for the downside...which were too many for the price of the room. Although a fair size for two people, the room was oldish and dark with chipped furniture and VERY DIRTY, STAINED lumpy carpeting. (The carpeting was a real turn-off!) Beds were comfortable with four pillows and feather comforters. Heating was no problem, though it had the tendency to get really warm despite the 65 degree setting. (Snowed the day we were there.) Refrigerator offered. Bathroom okay with usual Holiday Inn Express shampoos, soaps, etc. Coffee stains splashed (from some previous resident) on the side of the countertop stayed there for the time we were there. (On the carpet too, I suppose.) Everything looked tired and worn and used to the point of replacement. I was really disappointed!
Although the clerk at the front desk apologized, I would be remiss if i did not mention this incident. My father and I were sitting in our room (an hour or so after we arrived) when the door opened. (I know...always chain your door! But, we didn't so here is the story.) There stood a woman with her two teenage daughters. I do not know who was more surprised. She was holding a key card and said: "Is this room 5XX?" I got up and checked the number beside our door and agreed it was. After a few flustered exchanges she said: "The front desk sent us up here to check out the size of the room. Do you mind if we look at it since we are here?" They glanced about and then she said: "I will report this when I get back down to the front desk." Well, about 15 minutes passed and our phone rang and it was indeed the front desk apologizing for the "mistake." We had to take the ONE ELEVATOR back down and get newly programmed keys. Since there were four of us in two conneting rooms, that meant four new keys. At the front desk the young man apologized again, but I kept thinking...how easy is it to get one of these keys? Wonder if my father and I had NOT been in the room? Wonder if he would have been alone?
All in all, other than the excellent location (couldn't beat it!) I am sorry to report, that this Holiday Inn Express does not meet up to the standards of many of its counterparts. It needs a healthy refurbishing of paint, wall paper, furniture and carpeting.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Linda Margaret
Reviewed January 1, 2011

My in-laws live in Savannah and most holidays when several family members are visiting, we stay in a hotel. This was our first stay in this hotel and we chose it based on the Trip Advisor reviews. Overall we were very pleased however a weird thing did happen. I only mention it in the event this becomes an actual problem for this hotel. We left early the morning after our first night and were gone all day visiting family. Arriving late back to our room, we found the "Do not disturb" sign hanging from our door knob. Since we knew we had not put it there we were very curious to see what we found in our room. What we found was a room that had not been cleaned at all although the tip my husband had left for the housekeeping staff had been taken. The staff at the front desk were apologetic and reduced the charge for that one night. Other than this occurrence, we were pleased with the hotel. Since we were visiting family for the holiday, we did not get to enjoy the excellent location of the hotel. It is perfect for walking around River Street. The parking is very convenient (Bryan Street Garage) however, the charge per day seemed to be based on who was working. We paid $5 per day for two days and $8 for the third. The garage person on the third day told us it is always $8 if the car is in the garage overnight. Since we had already been paying $5 for the same time frame, we felt we were being cheated but paid the $8 anyway.