“Relaxing Birthday Weekend Getaway”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District
Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Columbia, South Carolina
“Relaxing Birthday Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (5/22 - 5/25) and it was a great experience. The hotel was very clean and beautifully decorated. Our room was #301 which was not a room with a view, but it was on the secluded side of the hotel which was perfect for the type of relaxation I needed. Becky from the bar was very nice and helpful and the front desk staff was outstanding. The hot tub and pool on the roof was a real treat and the roof top view was spectacular. The hotel breakfast was clean and plentiful and we ate it each morning of our stay. I liked being right across the street from the river and being able to walk to everything.

We ate at Spanky's and at Wet Willy's on the River. In town, we ate a Carrabas. We also drove over to Charleston, Hilton Head and Tybee Island during our stay. I will definitely return to Savannah again and will of course be staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bakeme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Arabic first
Raleigh
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I never thought a Holiday Inn Express would be so accommodating! Great location, great deal (I got the State Employee rate), and fairly good breakfast. The rooms were clean, and the hotel has a GREAT pool and hot tub on the roof. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
ATL
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Would like to commend Mr. Jackson on his profesionnalism and willingness to assist.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2009

This hotel is fantastic. The rooms are clean and comfortable with a great bathroom. It's located right across the street from the Riverwalk. The best part about this hotel is without a doubt the staff. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful; the valets, the front desk, the concierge , everyone. And every restaurant they recommended was perfect for what we were looking for.

This was a great trip, and the hotel is as good as it gets. For what we paid I would have been happy with a decent room that was clean. What we got was beautiful spotless rooms and a staff that made us feel welcome. When I return to Savannah, I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Northern California
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Hubby and I spent a full week in Savannah and stayed at this wonderful hotel right in the hub and walking distance of everything. Our room was wonderful and the only noise we heard was an occassional door closing. The complimentry breakfasts were the same every morning and very good. You certainly don't go away hungry or feeling like you've eaten a lot of carbs. The eggs, sausage, biscuit and gravy were good but often we decided on a yogart cup with some fruit and a bagel.
From our window we watched tug boats go by and cargo ships so close you could read the writing on the side of the hull.
The river walk was fun with lots of tourist shops and we found one good restaurant, Vic's on the River, a little expensive but good.
The first thing you should do is take a guided bus or trolley tour. You'll get a good feel for where everything is located.
People are so friendly and helpful. You can't get lost.
Savannah has some very colorful people as was depicted in the movie and book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. A must see and read if you're going.
We rented a car so we could go to Charleston and Hilton Head. Both lovely places to see.
We kept seeing signs advertising The Crab Shack so we went looking for it. It's located on Tybee Island and aside from the fact that it's been there for years, we found it hard to find and way over priced but it was an experience. Everything is served in or on styrofoam. This place probably has a lot of history but it sure could use some sprucing up. Our bill for two very small cups of chowder and two beers was $29 not including the tip. You eat on old picnic type tables with the center cut out and a garbage can placed in the middle. Napkins are a roll of paper towels and they don't serve bread of any sort, just packaged soda crackers. As I said, it was an experience.
The weather was perfect. Not to hot or cold and very little humidity.
Savannah is charming and I'm sure we will visit again one day.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blooms65
Appleton, WI
Reviewed May 18, 2009

On a recent trip to Savannah, we stayed at this location. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly (even late at night). The view from the roof was fun and the exercise area was generous. Everything is within walking distance!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I went to Savannah for a jazz festival and gave this hotel a try. First and foremost, the service was incredible! There is an extra fee for valet parking, but I was on vacation and wanted to relax. From the moment I pulled up, a valet, Rodney, greeted me, learned my name and called by name every time he saw me. He brought my bags up to my rooom, gave great recommendations for places to go and tips for parking around the festival. If you want efficient delivery of your car from the valet, call ahead downstairs. The valet area can become crowded. One of the managers, Jameel, made me feel like I was at home and could ask for anything. He gave great restaurant recommendations and made all of my reservations for me. He even walked me to the sidewalk in front of the hotel and personally gave me directions to one restaurant where I had reservations. One night, I had dinner at Vic's on the River (the food was great) and got a crabby waiter that gave me horrible service. Jameel even apologized to me for my experience at the restaurant and felt responsible because he recommended the place. The hotel has been recently renovated and everything in the rooms appeared new. The room was slightly smaller than average, but it was very clean and maid service kept it that way during my entire stay. The location is perfect and in walking distance to just about everything you may want see or do including a nice trip to the beach. The rooftop pool is a nice place to relax and a must see. I did not use the fitness center, but it looked adequate when I glanced inside the door. The area of improvement I can recall is that the lobby area is relatively small and can get crowded at peak check out hours. You really can not go wrong with staying at this hotel. Loved it!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends