“Excellent Location/Faboulous Room”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #10 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed September 17, 2013

You got a single queen room thinking it would be "cozy" due to the price, but the room is very spacious. Excellent staff and the location can't be beat. The hotel is quiet and clean and nicely decorated. We'll be returning to enjoy the rooftop pool... even with a extra day, we've run out of time.

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express (albeit a little nicer than most in the line). I've come to expect a decent night's stay, good Internet access and decent free breakfast at all Holiday Inn Express facilities, and this one did not disappoint.

Check-in was speedy, the room oddly shaped (but nicely appointed), the bed was pretty good (a little stiff but very good linens made up for any inadequacies), but the shower was outstanding (better than most). The walls are quite thin - it might have been my particular room, but it was difficult to concentrate when working at the desk (you could hear EVERYONE as the walked down the hall). I was worried it might make sleep difficult, but it did not. The breakfast was very good (better than most).

Overall, a satisfying stay and while I still have my favorites in Savannah, this location is more than acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The HI Express is in a great location for easily walking to many of the places in Savannah that you will want to see, and also to many of the best restaurants. Be aware that you will pay for the great location. And it's worth it.

We requested a corner room, which was excellent. Bed was quite comfortable. TV had a problem, but since we didn't spend much time watching, it didn't bother us.

Valet parking is $20 a day, with unlimited in/out, but be aware that the service can be quite slow at times. There is a public parking deck next door, which is a max of $10/day.

The free breakfast is quite nice. For our stay it included scrambled eggs, biscuits, bacon, sausage patties, sweet rolls, bagels and toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice and coffee. But you will want to try breakfast at one of the local restaurants at least once.

The pool on the roof is really a delightful place to relax, and to get a panoramic view of Savannah.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are delightful. Rooms on Bay street will have a view, but lower floors may be noisy...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Indeed our hotel is in a great location. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were in Savannah over Labor Day Weekend for an early version of our wedding anniversary. Having decided that we would be spending more time away from the hotel than in it, we took a chance on the Holiday Inn Express, on Bay Street. There was a bit of a wait at check in, which is fine, it was a holiday weekend after all. We had a 7th floor room, took our stuff up, and left for dinner.

When we came back, we were ready to settle in for the night. At around 11:30, I hear a loud, periodic beeping. The battery in the smoke detector was dead. This was kind of a drag, but I suppose it's an honest mistake. I call the front desk to ask them to fix it.

"Well, I'll have to see if we have maintenance on call tonight, I'll call you in your room when I find them." One wonders why a large, popular, chain hotel wouldn't have some form of maintenance staff on duty during one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year. But I digress.

15 minutes later, no phone call. The detector is still beeping at us. I call again.

"Maintenance is off tonight, but I'll send one of the valets up to change the battery."

30 minutes later, nothing. This time, my wife calls the front desk, and talks to the same woman. She tells my wife that she has some customers in front of her at the front desk, and that as soon as she's done, she will come upstairs and change the battery herself. During that phone call, I went downstairs to the front desk in person, to make sure that the woman actually followed through this time.

After serving the customers who were in line in front of me, I told her who I was and why I was there. She rummaged around in the back and came out with a battery. Back at the room, she climbed up on a chair, went to replace it, and...it wasn't the right kind of battery. She eventually confessed that she didn't know where the batteries could possibly be. I told her that she needed to put us in another room immediately. Not only could we not sleep, I didn't want to be in a room with a non-working smoke alarm.

She disappeared for what felt like another 15 minutes, and finally, just as I was about to go back downstairs, the phone rang. She brought us a cart and helped us carry our things to the new room. At this point it was 12:45AM. When she left, she said she would "see what she could do" about reducing our rate.

We were now in a second floor room, trading our formerly nice view for a less nice view of the parking garage. When we got to the new room, the refrigerator wasn't turned on, so the perishable food items we'd brought with us had to sit in a warm, dank fridge overnight while it came down to temperature. But the smoke alarm worked, so it was an improvement in that regard.

The following morning, I noticed the cover from someone else's razor in the bathtub. Who knows what did, or didn't, get cleaned in that bathroom.

More minor room cleaning issues. We're not terribly picky. We're fine with reusing towels, and we don't care about having little triangles folded into the toilet paper ends. But one morning, they took away our used towels and didn't replace all of them. Fortunately we had enough to shower with, but the bathmat was missing completely. I think on another day, the washcloths were gone without being replaced.

We eventually got a note under the door, telling us that they had reduced our rate. Which seemed appropriate. When we got our bill on Monday morning, we saw by how much.

$20 off of the first night. That's right. For all that, we would be comped enough to buy lunch at a sandwich shop.

There were other issues. The one (1) piece of non-cardio exercise equipment in the fitness room had two sides to it. One was marked as broken, and was dusty enough that I figure it's been broken for a long time. The second side was so badly out of adjustment that most exercises were impossible. So essentially, the "fitness room" is a couple of treadmills and a TV.

When we left, I think we waited close to 30 minutes for a luggage cart. It seems odd to run out of luggage carts on a busy, holiday weekend. But they did.

Bright spots? There were a few:

1. The location is great, and gives you an opportunity to look longingly at other hotels you'll wish you'd stayed at instead.

2. The rooftop pool is very nice, even though there aren't enough chairs to go around.

3. The hot breakfast in the morning was very well stocked, clean, and about as good as you can expect of a free hotel breakfast. This was a bright spot.

4. They didn't charge us any additional money for self parking our car. A famous Inn, also in Savannah, did this to us, so I have my eye out for it.

To be honest, I wasn't going to bother to write a review. Then my wife looked at her credit card statement. We were never credited the $20. AND, the hotel actually charged her card twice. Both charges, for the full amount, were made on August 4th. The second charge was removed on August 7th. There has been no activity on the card since, so we know for certain that the paltry $20 was never credited to us.

Judging by other reviews, maybe this experience was an outlier. But we definitely won't be going back. There are too many places to stay in Savannah to bother giving this one a second chance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank UninterestingName

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that your experience was less than excellent. We obliviously had the opportunity to solve a small problem for you yet we let it escalate. We will definitely think about addressing the way we conduct a few things to make sure that something like this does not happen again. Please don’t let this isolated experience deter you from visiting our historic city in the future. We would truly be honored if you decided to come back to visit us.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is in a very good location for visiting Savannah. It is on East Bay close to the riverfront and on the north edge of the historic district. It is a fairly new facility with a parking garage behind it. Rooms are typical for a newer HI Express and ours was a king bed with most of the amenities you would expect. Breakfast is included and is HI Express usual fare of hot and cold items. The breakfast space is a nice area on the first floor that is a nice open sitting area during the day. There is a small pool and sun deck on the roof.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for such a nice review. We really appreciate when our guest take the time to help us with feedback. We can't wait until your return in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Big welcome by hotel staff who seem to love what they do! Very friendly and helpful and well staffed so check ins are quick and easy. The manager was out front greeting and assisting guests as well. The hotel is locates right in the middle of the best stops in the historic district! The lobby, restaurant and room was in excellent condition and very clean. You made our stay relaxing and fun! Also, I just have to comment that this location has figured out how to provide a great experience at a great value! Again, props to the caring, attentive, fun and attractive staff

• Stayed: September 2013

OH My! Thank you so much for such a great review. We are glad you decided to visit us and our historic city. Customer Service is what we believe in and we are glad that we could really make a impression on you and your family.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very nice for the brand. Great character in the lobby with the old pine flooring. Close to waterfront with the park in front of the hotel. Area behind hotel past the parking garage is kinda sketchy in the park, seems to be a magnet for bums. I used the parking garage which cost $7 overnight.

I had a corner room on the 4th floor. Very nice and roomy. Small refrigerator and a wet bar. Plenty of restaurants and touristy stuff within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for visiting our historic city and hotel. We are sorry for your bad view of the garage or your experience with people in the park near us. We hope your next experience is more than amazing.