“Service at its best.”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District
Ranked #11 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stay in many hotels in the Southeast, quite often in a Holiday Inn Express. The Holiday Inn Express Savannah Historic District is one of the best. What stands out about the hotel, beyond the excellent location and quality rooms and amenities is the service that is given. The guest services staff are outstanding, helpful and friendly and truly seeking to assist you. Several times when I would ask directions to local attractions they would quickly hand me a MapQuest map with the detailed directions from the hotel.

I want to give special mention to the breakfast staff. One of the reasons I choose the Holiday Inn Express is its great breakfast and signature cinnamon rolls. At the Savannah Historic District the staff always made sure tables were clean, food replenished and always seemed to be available and helpful when you needed them but didn't hover and make you feel rushed or uncomfortable like so many hostesses and hosts do. They were pleasant and polite and always seeking to serve in a way that makes me proud to live in the south.

I highly commend the hotel and its outstanding staff.

Room Tip: The corner rooms above the fifth floor have amazing views or any room above the fifth lets you see t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob H
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff for doing such good work. We thank you for staying with us and we hope that you come back to visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Checking into the hotel was extremely easy. The front desk clerks were polite and the lobby had a great presentation. My room was clean and may I add the breakfast was delicious. The breakfast staff were polite and made sure to stay on top if things during breakfast. Definitely no complaints in my book. Now I consided myself a pretty reasonable person when it comes to customer service, being that I am a business owner. However, when it takes approximately 20 mins for my car 2 b delivered to me, thats a huge problem. Please allow me to explain myself: We were told upon checking in to dial a 4 digit extension from the phone inside the room to have valet have our car ready prior to us leaving the hotel on any day. Ok. That was done. The female whom answered the phone said it would be around ten minutes. After arriving downstairs the vehicle was not there..all of a sudden dis guy shows up 20 minutes later with my car nearly missing the wall and another car as he drove it through the driveway where people load and unload their luggage. Upon exiting my vehicle, he did not utter one word and left. Coming back that night at least three staff members were standing outside flirting and talking amongst themselves (two females and one male) and did not say anything. I stood there two minutes while waiting for the guy to take my car keys.
The male who took my keys kept pressing the unlock button on my keypad causing the lights to flicker off and on. Oh yeah..still as he was flirting and talking loud. Then I looked at him and he said, "You all set." I just had to laugh at rudeness of them to prevent myself from becoming angry. The morning valet crew were decent but if you plan to travel at night you have to wait on wanna be romantic romeo to finish trying to catch a date. Oh and the $20 charge that they charge you at night for to store your vehicle is a joke. You are better off self parking your own vehicle.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jai1712

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We are delighted that our breakfast and front desk staff were able to take care of your needs and make your stay enjoyable. We are not happy to see that you experience an issue with the valet staff. This is a problem that has been corrected and we currently have a new and improved valet service that we hope will be to your liking if you do decide to visit us in the future. Again we apologize for the level of service our valet team provided.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We loved the hotel. It was a good family friendly hotel. The breakfast was good and the staff were all very nice. We had an amazing view of the huge ships coming in and the pool on the roof was a huge hit with my kids. The location of this hotel is just amazing. We had no problems not using the valet and found it was very easy to go over to the parking garage across the street anytime. We barely used our vehicle anyways. We just walked right out the door to eat, shop, and have fun.
However,two things we wish were better....
1. The elevator was busy.... very busy...the wait....ugh.
2. The bathroom had no exhaust fan. We had four different people taking showers. The mirrors were fogged all the time and it made the room feel moist and hot. Not fun!
Other than that we would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Savannah. Maybe there are fans in other rooms? idk and I'm sure there are also times when the elevator is not busy. This was just our experience. We will go back.

Room Tip: 4th and up to see the ships
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Location, Location, Location is what we hear about a lot. We are delighted that our location was perfect for you and your family. Savannah is a walking city and we love the fact that we are close to everything so our guest have the best opportunity to experience the historic city. We are sorry about the wait for elevators and the exhaust fans. It becomes busy during check in and out time and I understand the wait time can be frustrating, if you decide to come back I will personally carry your luggage up or down the stairs if you want.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at 199 East Bay Street in Savannah GA. We checked in a night earlier than expected on 8/8/13. We were able to get a room, but was told we would need to move the next day (which was perfectly fine). We woke up the next morning and the manager was more than courteous in getting us in the new room earlier than the check in time. We left around 11 and went to the new room. We left our room keys (room 723) in the room. Once we were in the new room (room 420) I realized that me $300 Ray Ban sunglasses were left in the prior room. Not thinking this was an issue, my husband and I walked to the front desk (11:15 AM) and asked for the glasses that had been left there by mistake. After a 15-20 minute wait, the staff informed us that nothing had been turned in and that they would call us when they were found. No call was ever made and the glasses were never given back. On Sunday, we checked out of the room at precisely 11 AM. At 12 AM I realized I had done it again and had left my gold Michael Khors watch on the nightstand. I immediately called the hotel from the road and the room had not yet been serviced. My husband spoke to the front desk describing what had happened and then left a lengthy voicemail for the manager on duty asking him to call us back. No call was ever made. About 5:00PM we called again. Again, we were transferred to another manager’s voicemail. My Husband left another lengthy voicemail and again, his call was never returned. I called again this morning at 9:30 AM. I spoke to the front desk. The woman told me she herself would go check the lost and found and call me back. She checked and said nothing was ever turned in.

I am a reasonable person. I understand that I contributed to this by leaving my items behind, but I IMMEDIATELY went to the front desk regarding the glasses and called within 60 minutes of realizing the watch was left behind. The room had not even been cleaned yet. The staff was not only not courteous enough to call us back at any point (although the front desk said that they spoke to us last night to inform us the items were gone - COMPLETELY and utterly false) but I seriously cannot believe that my items were taken not only once, but twice from this hotel. I will never, ever stay at a Holiday Inn express and have tried 6 times to contact this hotel for them to make it right, to no avail. I will make this my mission to warn others about this place because surprisingly enough, it has excellent reviews online about how courteous and friendly the staff is. In our 4 days stay, we experienced none of this.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hyatt next door.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marci T

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We strive ourselves on customer satisfaction and we clearly missed the mark with your with you. We know that every system is not perfect and we are looking at ways to improve our lost & found procedures so this does not happen. I can assure you that we have a very honest staff that takes pride in making sure we get all lost items back to their rightful owner. We are very apologetic about the whole situation and we will make sure that you are contacted and your issue will be taken care of. Thank you for leaving your feedback because it is very helpful in making sure we stay a great hotel guest love.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hotel close to River Street which is in the heart of the historic district: perfect location at a great price. We felt the area was safe in the evening. We booked 2 rooms and both were clean; beds were comfortable and even though we were facing a busy street the noise level was acceptable and did not bother us. We were surprised to have that many choices for breakfast (which is included in the price). Many different items were offered, hot and cold. The breakfast place was very clean. Do not stay at the hotel without taking a few minutes to check out the rooftop: the view of the city/river is fantastic! One can sit there with a drink and enjoy the view and a nice breeze for hours. Bonus: there is a nice pool/hot tub. Staff was polite and very helpful. If you do not intend on using your car over the time spent at the hotel, I would suggest not taking the valet parking offered ($20/day) but rather go and park your car next door in the Public Parking ($12/day max). Overall, i was extremely happy with choosing the Holiday Inn and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice! The location was great...we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Parked in the parking garage next door instead of using the valet services and saved ourselves some cash. There is an awesome little bar in the lobby that has reasonably priced drinks that were excellent. The bartenders Kate and Raquel were great. We will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emy85Fl
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First stay in Savannah. This hotel allowed us to walk everywhere since it was super close to everything. The room was clean and small but not uncomfortably so, bathroom was good with a big shower. The pool is on the roof, was lame that it closed at 10 pm but the views were awesome and the hot tub was nice. Breakfast was what'd you'd expect but the lay out was kind of awkward and there wasn't enough seating so going early is recommended. We'll stay here again if we get the chance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple