“Great location, courteous staff, clean!”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #11 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our first visit to Savannah and we chose this hotel from the reviews and it was perfect. We got a room on the 7th floor with a view of the river which was fun to sit and watch ships so close. The king bed was comfy and room clean and nicely decorated. Just across the street was the river walk with tour pick up and lots of resturaunts. We had a rental car and they valet parked it for 15$ a day which was so easy to call and they always had it waiting for us. We needed directions to Ft Pulaski and the front desk gave us a print out of the directions. Free breakfast was great to get a quick start on the day.
The only con was the noise on Friday night on the street. I think a motorcycle drove around the block reving its motor till 3 am. Comes with the Bay St location but still would come again. No ghosts woke me here!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a view.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were in town for the Tall Ship Festival and were looking for somewhere close but not too pricey. This hotel was right in the middle of the action which is a plus and minus. Upside; was in walking distane of everything. Clean rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff and great view from rooftop pool area. Downside, traffic noise was terrible! The price was a little high, but it was a special weekend.
I will stay here again but ask for a room on the backside!

Room Tip: Traffic noise on the city side is terrible. Ask for room on backside
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was our second stay at the Holiday Inn Express Savannah. The first time 2 years ago, we had a really beautiful room that looked so much like Savannah decor. This time, we had maybe a non-refurbished room, which was still okay, but not for the price ($230/night). There was mold in the bathtub. The room was clean though and would probably stay there again due to the perfect location, but maybe ask for a nicer room especially if you have a longer stay. Only had breakfast once since there are so many good restaurants close by. They did have a nice selection of foods. The staff was nice to us and answered our questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room and away from the main street. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear mollydaisy,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J

Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Great location ...quite but near everything. Completely satisfied!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Very nice hotel and super location with view of the river from the roof top pool area. Comfortable bed with quality sheets and nice appointments, such as a microwave and mini-fridge. Great value for the money and a wide variety for self-serve breakfast, including eggs and a pancake maker! Courteous service at the front desk and all in all, an A++! Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We faced the river and weren't really bothered by traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christine C
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and decided to stay again this year on our latest trip to Savannah. I like this hotel because of its location and decor. However, on both stays I did not find the people at the front desk very helpful. On this stay, our room had the air conditioning heating vent right next to the head of the bed. I noticed a ticking noise coming from the vent in the afternoon. I called the front desk and was told someone would be sent to look at it. No one ever came, and we didn't want to hang around waiting for someone when it got to be dinner time, so we left the hotel for a few hours. Since the noise was intermittent, I figured I could just deal with it for the night. However, after we returned from dinner it got loud and constant, so I called the front desk again, and someone did come around ten o'clock to look at it. He changed the air filter and said ithe noise should stop after a few minutes. He left around eleven, and the noise started again. It was too late at that time to do anything more. My sleep was interrrupted throughout the night. I told the person at the front desk about it the next morning, and she said she would have someone look at it before the room was booked again. This was not what I expected to hear...no mention of how sorry she was that I had a bad night's sleep or anything close. I really like this hotel for the reasons I mentioned in the beginning of the review, but I won't be staying at it again.

2  Thank ATravelingGirl09
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Dear ATravelingGirl09,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. You have covered most aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments in meeting your expectations with our rooms, cleanliness and location. We take our guest feedback very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor quality service from our staff. Your comments are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G.
Case Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here several years ago and were impressed with it. We stayed here for three days recently and I dont know what happened but the hotel's standards have slipped. There were three main issues that concerned me.

One was that the wifi was spotty at best. We had an ipad and and iphone with us. Half the time the wifi was not working. We checked with another couple who were with us and were staying nearby and they experienced the same issues.

Two was that our room was not cleaned the first day that we were there. We left at 10 am and saw a maid in the room next door. We got back at about 4 and a maid said that she forgot to give us towels. She gave us the towels, but when we got into the room, the bed was not made, nor was the room cleaned.

Finally was the attitude of one of the valet parking attendants. We dropped off our car and when we got to our room, we realized that we had left something in our car. My wife called front desk. They transferred her to the valets and she explained the problem to them. The valet said that they would bring the car around again so we could retrieve the item. I went down expecting the car to be there. When I got there it wasn't and the valet had such an attitude that I would up getting the keys from him, and going to where the car was parked in the adjacent garage and then getting the item myself. If you are going to charge me for valet parking, don't give me an attitude when something like this happens.

Overall this stay was a disappointment. There are a lot of other hotels in the same price range as this one in Savannah. We will be staying at one of them the next time that we are in town.

1  Thank bwco
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear bwco,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,