“They Didn't Lie About the Roof”
Review of Isaac's on Drayton - CLOSED

Isaac's on Drayton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Raleigh, North Carolina
“They Didn't Lie About the Roof”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Lured by the words "Rooftop Dining" posted outside I climbed the steps and discovered the roof, a sequestered square at the top of the small building. Planters with some greenery topped the walls over which nothing could be seen except the towering office building behind the restaurant. No colorful geraniums, pansies, or azaleas bloomed and the floor was a little more than dirty and gritty looking. The beers were cold though, so I ordered and waited and waited for the reuban and my husband waited and waited for the pork apple melt that the waitress had said customers returned for again and again. Really? The pork was a pathetically slim unflavored slice, wedged between a piece of lettuce and a piece of tomato held together in a bun. A dissapointment. My reuban was OK. Nothing spectacular. Just satisfactory. It took at least 20 minutes to put the sandwiches together and deliver them to the table.The bill when it came was wrong. I was there during a 2 for 1 happy hour but the bill did not reflect it. When I brought it to the server's attention she said she would see what she could do. The new bill brought to the table was a few dollars lighter. I will cross this one of my list for my next visit to town.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank TheCovertCritic

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We ate at the bar, which had a story of it's own. The alabaster rail and columns were over 100 years old, had come from Ireland and then was a free-standing bar in Grand Central Station for many years. The food is authentic Pittsburgh fare, with french fries topping several sandwiches. The food was good, bartender/owner very friendly, and a couple we met who were also eating at the bar were very seasoned travelers, knew Savannah well, and were not only eating at Isaac's because it was one of their favorites, they recommended other restaurants to us and their reviews were spot on.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Rob P
Stockholm
“Excellent service, even better steaks”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Was in Savannah on business trip; went here by recommendation.
What might look like a bit unimpressive on the outside is a great steakhouse on the inside.
Had the filet mignon, perfectly done and with great salad and cole slaw.
Excellent service waiter-wise, both on food and beer suggestions.
Probably the best plave to eat in Savannah?

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank TheCrossEyedNewt
Houston, Texas
“What an awful experience!”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I read reviews of this restaurant online and checked out the huge menu on their website, so we decided to go for dinner on Monday, January 30. We walked in and there was only one person sitting at the bar and 2 tables of people eating dinner. We figured that was probably normal for a Monday night. Upon looking over the menu, the 4 of us noticed that the menu was completely different than the menu posted on their website. It was much more limited but we decided to order anyway. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay and was promptly told "we are out of Chardonnay!" I settled for a glass of Pinot. Our waiter then began to tell us that they were out of sweet potato fries. We could only get regular french fries. Ok, fine with me, I really didn't want any sweet potato fries anyway. I ordered a "black and blue burger" which was to include blue cheese on the burger. "We are out of blue cheese!" At this point, I asked for my wine in a paper cup to go and we headed out of there as fast as we could and had a most enjoyable dinner at Moon River, just around the corner from Isaac's.

• Visited January 2012
North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

The staff at Planters Inn suggested Isaac’s roof top bar for a nice place to smoke with a drink. We were pleasantly surprised. Not only was the atmosphere warm and charming, but we were given excellent service by a lovely bartender named Faith. We went to the bar for a last night cap and ended up staying for several hours. We met other patrons and enjoyed the talk so much that we went back the next night for a drink. Again, we met some other people and stayed longer that originally planned. It was a nice place to hang out. We'll definitely be back!

• Visited January 2012