“Could have been much better for a Hilton property.”

Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Midtown
Ranked #34 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Asheville, North Carolina
“Could have been much better for a Hilton property.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We could hear our neighbors on both sides of cough, laugh, their TV's, doors closing due to very poor sound proofing. Parking was a nightmare. They had a garage about 200 yards from the main entrance but did not tell us and after searching the lot multiple times the streets, I finally parked near the entrance on a curb out of the way of traffic along with 3 other cars. I told the clerk behind the front desk and she said fine. The next night, we found ourselves unable to find parking again and I parked in the same location as the night before and notified a different front desk person who advised me they had a sign that I should have read on the counter and that additional parking was close by and where I parked was a hazard to emergency vehicles and I would be towed so I moved to the garage. There was no sign, nor were we informed until that moment that they had a parking garage. Even where I had parked, the vehicle would hot have obstructed any kind of vehicle. The front desk person was just matter of fact and rude, her explanation could have been better. She refused to compensate us as the sign says if you are not 100 % pleased but due to the noise and lack of sleeping plus the AC shut on and off and you froze or woke up sweating on and off all night but finally the next day, we were granted one night at no charge and apologized to. This could have been overlooked had it not been for the unkind, uncaring front desk person.

Room Tip: Go high, at the end and try to get a quiet room with a good AC.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HGI_Midtown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our deepest apologies for the discourteous front desk staff. We follow the highest customer service standards set by Hilton and we will make sure to review our procedures with our staff. We do share a parking lot and three tier garage with the Hampton Inn and Suites behind us and we apologize you were not informed of this during check-in. We will also ensure our heating and cooling systems are working properly in our all guest rooms. We strive to have all our guests have a comfortable and satisfying experience when they stay with us. We hope you will give us another chance to prove we are an outstanding Hilton property.

Bryan Cornelius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I would never stay here again solely on the parking. If i pay to stay in a hotel and have to park some where else is unacceptable. There is construction going on that was failed to be mentioned. House keeping was insanely nice and helpful. Hotel is very clean and breakfast was great to. This hotel was just not for me. A bunch of people who think they are better than you.

• Stayed March 2013
GM_HGI_Midtown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Hilton Garden Inn Guest,

We’re glad you enjoyed breakfast with us and found the hotel clean and comfortable. We apologize about your dissatisfaction with the parking at the hotel. Sometimes when the hotel is at full capacity we allow guests to park in neighboring parking lots. We are currently updating our lobby to a more open and inviting space and we apologize you were not aware of this ahead of time. The renovations will be gorgeous and we’re excited to premiere the updates to our guests. We hope you would come back to see the changes and give us another chance at an excellent stay.

Bryan Cornelius
jacksonville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hotel was nice and rooms are very quiet however, they are renovating the lobby and they should notify the guests while making the reservations. The food was good and friendly staff, the hotel is perfect for the business traveler but not for family vacations.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quieter!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel regularly over the last six years while traveling to Savannah for work. While the parking situation is ridiculous, the location is convenient to most of my appointments and the price is much more reasonable than the downtown hotels. It is one of my most stayed hotels and for that reason, it sometimes feels like a second home. I appreciate that they are making strides to keep the hotel fresh through updates like the current project in the lobby. When I stay here, I always look forward to running into Bruce who is on staff here. He always recognizes me and in our conversations makes suggestions of things I should do while in town. As someone who travels a lot, it takes a lot for me to be impressed by hotel staff members, and I am definitely impressed by Bruce. He is always doing something for someone with a smile on his face, and that kind of attitude makes me want to come back to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this Hilton from a Friday to a Sunday. The room was very clean and the staff was very courteous. I saw a couple reviews mention Bruce being very helpful and I can mimic those as well.

The major gripe about this hotel, and one they really can’t change, is the parking. Whoever designed/developed the land didn’t do a good job of allocating spaces. The parking spots around this hotel fill up very fast and you either have to park on the street or you can park in a shared parking garage with the Hampton which is next door. They should have built the parking garage between the two hotels if it is to be shared but instead it is on the other side of the Hampton so you have to walk past that hotel to get to the Hilton. On a pretty day it isn’t the biggest deal but it was cold, windy, and rainy the whole weekend we were there and I had a long walk each time.

Another concern for us that may not be a concern for everybody is the breakfast option. If I was traveling by myself on business the $10 breakfast would be worth the convenience but, when we are a family of four traveling, $40 plus tax and tip is a little pricy. There is a fridge and microwave in our room and I ran across the street to Publix and we did breakfast for the whole family for under $10. I did find it odd that they won’t let you bring any utensils up from the lobby and it would be nice if they at least had some plastic utensils they could provide.

Overall though I would recommend this hotel. My main priority for a hotel is to be clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced and this one fit the bill quite nicely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very good value for your dollar. A nice, clean hotel within city limits. Perfect for a travelling family with multiple children. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was a nice size for a large family. We were able to put the kids to bed and then stay up and prep for the next day in the living room area. If travelling with a larger party, be sure to ask for extra towels as they do not provide enough with a regular room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the cleanest hotels that I have ever stayed at. I like the fact that they wash the duvets. My room was immaculate and nicely decorated. The shower was hot and the water pressure was wonderful. The bed was comfortable, there was a flat screen tv, microwave, mini fridge, and coffee maker. I wasn't sure if I was going to stay at Hampton or Hilton. They were next to each other, but the fridge and microwave bonus at the same price as Hampton without it was the deal breaker. Very convenient location. I saved money by going to Publix and buying sandwich ingredients across the street. Convenient location and friendly staff. As far as any drawbacks, they were doing some construction and parking was a little limited. Also, when I was outside I could hear an occasional plane. However, I am glad for the updates and a little noise is expected in the city. No complaints here, very pleased.

• Stayed February 2013