“Creamy goodness”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: No trip to Savannah is complete without a visit to Leopold's Ice Cream! Named the #5 Ice Cream in the World, Leopold's is a "Must-Do." You'll enjoy visiting our retro ice cream parlor, complete with old fashioned soda fountain and friendly soda jerks. You'll also experience a little piece of Hollywood in Savannah as you peruse Stratton Leopold's collection of film posters and props from films he has worked on over his 45 plus years in the movie industry! Leopold's Ice Cream was founded in 1919 by three immigrant brothers from Greece. They learned the art of candy and dessert from an uncle who had already settled in America. The brothers perfected the secret formulas and created the world famous Leopold's VeriBest™ ice cream.Our ice cream is made in house, one batch at a time, using family recipes handed down from the Leopold brothers. With our soda fountain creations and more than 28 flavors available at any given time, we've got something just for you!
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I ordered the Honey Ice cream and it was delicious. Even with temperatures at 35 degrees the place was full of ice cream enthusiast . Leopold's really is a must stop while in Savannah

1  Thank Greektravelgirl
StrattonLeopold, Owner at Leopold's Ice Cream, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Greektravelgirl,
I love your screen-name. Did you know my family came from Greece in 1919 to start Leopold's Ice Cream in Savannah, GA? Mary and I still return to Greece as often as possible. Thank you for visiting (especially on our coldest day of the year) and for taking the time to share your experience with others!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,384)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Leopold's is one of those unique places that actually live up to your hopes and expectations! I went with friends, in January, on a miserably cold day, for ice cream... And I was NOT DISAPPOINTED! Yeah, it's that good! Flavors are changed out with the seasons, and we were delighted to enjoy Peppermint, Rum Bisque, Strawberry, Chocolate, Coconut and Raspberry. (Between us) Yummm! My friends had big eyes, and each got two-scoops (couldn't finish!) I got a child-size scoop, which was absolutely perfect (in every way!) Patrons may ask for (complimentary) taste when ordering-this is helpful in decision-making, because allll of the ice cream looks so wonderful! Hope you enjoy, we did!

1  Thank Susan M

Thanks Susan M! Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are in the mood for lunch, a snack, or some ice cream - this is the place! You are greeted with southern hospitality and are served with enthusiasm and passion. It is a fun venue that draws many tourists - so don't be discouraged by lines. They move fast. This facility was right around the corner from my B&B, and ended up going there several times during my three-day stay.

This is the perfect place for a quick lunch; it is central to the historic district and you can get in and out quickly. The soups were the perfect answer to a cold and rainy day - try Turkey Chowder or Potato Dill - Wow!! They serve a nice selection of sandwiches. You are in the South, so I recommend the pimento cheese sandwich (toasted). It took me back to my childhood years in Alabama, and was as good as I remembered (maybe even better)!

The ice cream (made on-site) is very tasty. They offer samples before you commit to an order, so you can try a variety of ice creams before you "buy". They also offer shakes and specialty ice cream creations that look amazing. Lemon custard was a favorite flavor of mine.

The owner has had significant success as a Hollywood producer. The decor includes many photos taken during his filming of feature films. The owner (Stratton Leopold) even has several of his Oscars displayed. We were there when he was in the shop - we found him to be down to earth as we watched him greet and talk to patrons between chores. What a treat!

This is a special, historical venue and a "must do" when you are in Savannah! We will definitely visit again!!

1  Thank Jean V

Dear Jean V,
WOW! Thanks for the amazing review. You really covered it all. The only thing that I need to mention is that those shiny gold figures in the shop are not Oscars; they are trophies for food competitions we have entered and won over the years. Maybe we should name them all Oscar! Thanks again for the review. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had the vanilla malt shake and the chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream. It was probably the best malt shake I have ever had. My buddy agreed with me as well. The chocolate chip ice cream was very creamy and good. I was not too crazy about their more popular flavors, like tuti fruti or honey almond.

Dear Juniorm009,
It's all about finding the flavor(s) that you love! Thanks for telling everyone about our Malts...those are one of our specialties brought back from the time when I drank them in the Shop as a kid. Yum!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Popular place with a long line which moved rather quickly due to the excellent service.

Great ice cream - but quite overpriced.

Dear Larry N,
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Leopold’s. When considering the price of our super premium products, keep in mind that we use the finest, freshest ingredients that we can find and make each small batch in the shop. The prices are a little higher but the quality is supreme! Thanks for coming to see us!