“Great Attention to Detail!”

Justine Inn Savannah
Ranked #5 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Great Attention to Detail!”
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay in 3 of the 4 rooms at the Olde Savannah Inn. Each of them had its own character and charm. I was also able to view the Versaille room. They were all incredibly beautiful. The linens were incredible! Each room was beautifully appointed with gorgeous period furniture and incredible linens. The bathrooms were spacious and also beautiful. I would recommend a stay in any of the rooms as each one has its own unique charm.

Kathleen serves the most delicious breakfasts! I rarely had room for lunch even after walking all over town! You can't beat Kathleen's hospitality and cooking. With the added charm of Dakota (the Inn's black lab- it really felt like home.

Thanks for a wonderful stay!
Lisa
Chicago

• Liked — the attention to detail in the decorating
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My husband and I recently spent a weekend at the Olde Savannah Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The moment we arrived, the innkeeper, Kathleen met us both at the door and greeted us with a big hug, making us feel like we were visiting family. The inn is absolutely georgous and is extremely clean. We stayed in the Renaissance room, which is nicely decorated . We loved the elegance and large size of the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. In the mornings, breakfast was served at 9:00 a.m. The breakfast were ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! The first morning we were served Kathleen's apple skillet topped with a generous helping of her homemade whipped cream. The second morning it was blueberry pancakes and a banana pudding like no other I have tasted. I want Kathleen's recipes! If you are a dog lover, as my husbad and I are, you will love Kathleen's dog, Dakota. He is very sweet and also makes you feel right at home. Kathleen was also very helpful in arranging transportation to restaurants in the evenings and making restaurant recommendations. I would highly recommend this inn to anyone wishing to spend a relaxing weekend in historic Savannah. Be prepared to feel like you are part of the family! We will return to this inn in the future.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Hospitality of Inn keeper
  • Disliked — Nothing; like it all
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed April 13, 2008

If you appreciate the finer things, this is where you need to stay.
This was our very first trip to Savannah, and our first impressions were extremely positive. After a very long trip from Seattle filled with all sorts of glitches (think American Airlines) we were warmly greeted by our innkeeper Kathleen and Dakota the friendly black lab. With a glass of red wine in hand, we toured the inn and its rooms. It's difficult to drink wine with your mouth hanging wide open; we were blown away by the rooms all adorned with fine linens and historic furnishings. We were excited to know that this would be our home for the next 6 days.
It would be impossible to over-exaggerate the quality of the breakfasts. This is no yogurt and muffins kind of a place. The breakfasts were feasts: peach-stuffed french toast; apple-cinnamon-oatmeal pancakes; shrimp and grits just to name a few (and it's OK to slip Dakota a piece of bacon or sausage now and then).
The location is ideal. East Gaston Street is on the edge of the historic district within easy walking distance to all its parks, squares, monuments and architecture. But you get none of the noisy tour bus traffic. Our impression was that this was the quiet section of the historic district.
Kathleen worked tirelessly to ensure that our stay was spectacular. In fact, all of the guests worried a bit that she was going to wear herself out. But that is the kind of person she is; she lives to make her guests comfortable and happy. Anything you want to do; anywhere you want to go; she will arrange it for you. Miss Caroline was also a very pleasant and hard-working assistant.
We loved Savannah and the Olde Savannah Inn. We can't think of any reason why we would stay anywhere else when we come back to visit again. It is the nicest inn we have ever stayed in. Thank you, Kathleen. You are a gem.

• Liked — The attention to detail made it so comfortable.
  • Disliked — We did not like having to leave.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Now I do and The Olde Savannah Inn is it!!

But I really shouldn't have been surprised based on the reviews here, which is how I found this jewel. My wife and I had the pleasure of staying in the Renasissance Room for 3 nights. It's on the second floor. There are plenty of pictures already here of the bedroom and private bathroom, both of which are romantic and large. So I won't add to the collection. Suffice it to say that Kathleen, the lovely owner, spared no expense when putting it together. Beautiful chandeliers in both the bedroom and the bathroom. Gorgeous travertine tiles cover the walls and floor of the bathroom where there is a pedestal sink and a claw foot tub with a shower. She very recently added a nice flat screen TV to the bedroom. We used the gas fireplace which is on a timer so you can fall asleep with it still on. The king size bed is the most comfortable we have ever slept on and I kept threatening to steal those incredible pillows.

The only thing that made us think about getting out of bed in the morning was to make sure we didn't miss the 9:00am breakfast. And what a breakfast! Others here have quite appropriately raved about them. We weren't disappointed. In fact, shortly before our visit a few weeks ago, I called Kathleen to ask whether she had any healthy choices on the menu for my wife. Such as Cool Whip lite instead of the full octane version she prepares (which she makes herself, by the way--it's to die for). Well, she couldn't bring herself to buy the fake stuff but she did buy 3 cookbooks specializing in healthy receipes for our visit and prepared a scrumptious breakfast using one of the new receipes.

But that's just typical of Kathleen and her Devotion, with the proverbial capital D, to pampering, pampering and pampering. There was wine every afternoon. There was a gourmet dessert waiting for us after returning from dinner each night, along with some port. We have stayed in lots and lots of B&B in the US but none of them were on a mission to please like Kathleen. Without my asking, she offered to let me borrow her car to make an emergency run to a local store. Now that's southern hospitality, from a northerner no less!!

The location of the B&B is also very good. It's at the southern edge of the historical district, just a block from beautiful Forsyth Park. There are many historical homes and good restaurants within an easy and safe 10 minute walk. If you want to go to the river, where the commercial district is centered, it's about a 20 minute walk due north past several beautiful squares and one gorgeous home after another. A very safe and pleasant walk; if you're slow of foot, allow about 30 minutes or take a cab.

One hint about the breakfast. Although the portions are huge, if you want only a half order or so, let her know in advance. She hates wasting food and I don't blame her! She's too good of a cook for that.

If you're looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place. All the rooms and common areas are beautifully decorated. And the hospitality and service is beyond compare. Truly a 6 star experience.

We miss Kathleen and Dakota already. But we'll renew acquaintances the next time we're in town.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, S.C.
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My wife and I paid about $400 a night to stay in the Versailles Room at the Olde Savannah Inn on a Wednesday and Thursday in early April.

The inn is in Savannah's historic district one block from Forsyth Park and about a mile from Bay Street.

The inn keeper, Kathleen, goes overboard to please her guests.

I asked her to suggest restaurants and tour companies. After conferrring with me twice, Kathleen ended up booking all four reservations we needed. She has good taste. All the restaurants and tours were excellent. (The Pink House, Elizabeths on 37th, Classic Car Ghost Tour, Horse and carriage ride.)

Breakfast was included with the price of our room. Kathleen makes a lot of great, high-calorie food. When she found out I was trying to eat healthy, she went out of her way to fry me a couple of eggs.

Kathleen likes to talk to her guests and encourages them to speak to each other. Anyone who is looking for a lot of privacy might have to ask for it or find another inn. But if you're the chatty type, you could find yourself with some quick friends.

The Versailles Room has enormous bathroom with a Jacuzzi, bath tub and shower. The bedroom was suprisingly quiet for being in such an old house. The floor boards didn't squeak. I never heard our neighbors.

Overall, I'd say we had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Stayed for a romantic long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Savannah. It was our first time in Savannah and we did extensive research on the B&B options. Kathleen's lovely Olde Savannah Inn was in our top two after the research and remains there after our stay.

From her tasteful meals (including night time desserts!), to the eccentric piano playing Diana Rogers, to Kathleen's engaging conversation... we found the whole stay and experience very enjoyable. Of course the rooms were beautiful to look at and even better to lay your head down each night. The Inn itself was located close to the beautiful Forsythe park and in relatively comfortable walking distance to all major sights most are interested in (if you don't like to walk extensively like we do, then you always have options for a Pedicab bicycle transportation or even the formal Old Town Trolley tours which we really enjoyed ourselves on day 1 -- regardless, plan on leaving your car parked at any Inn you stay at).

We found overall that the Inn was charming and added to our whole experience. What Kathleen lacks from her Northern heritage :) , she makes up for in her genuine desire to make you as comfortable as possible during your stay. Hospitality is hospitality, whether you're from Boston or the deep South! :) I recommend you give her Inn a shot if you're looking for cozy Inn that pays attention to the details.

So you know that I'm a real person, we did find one thing we could have done without. We had minor issues with shower water pressure varying each morning (we think when other guests and/or washing were all competing for limited resources)... they were so minor we didn't even bring them up to Kathleen in our stay -- you're going to get things like that whenever you stay at an older historic B&B. Just roll with it, and we don't change the rating from Excellent because it was really very minor. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — bedding
  • Disliked — no major issues
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
Reviewed April 2, 2008

The Olde Savannah Inn was the perfect place for our long weekend of R&R. The Innkeeper went out of her way to take care of us. She made all our reservations and called all our cabs. She also makes a delicious breakfast and has the cutiest black lab I have ever seen. He sings to the saxaphone. Our room was beautiful and the Inn itself had great ambiance. We loved it!

Stayed March 2008