“Southern hospitality with a Boston accent!”

Justine Inn Savannah
Ranked #6 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We stayed in the Bellevue Room at the Olde Savannah Inn for two nights on our "Last Hurrah" trip to Savannah (our final trip as a couple before our baby is born). The Bellevue Room is a quaint street-level room with a flat-screen tv and full cable. It has TWO showers, 800 thread-count sheets, a fireplace (:~), and an assortment of fine shower products and Savannah-specific arts-and-lifestyles periodicals that clued us in to the goings on of this vestige of southern heritage.

For those of you afraid of ghosts, don't worry. There may be one here, but it is a wimp since we didn't see her or hear her.

Immediately upon arriving, we delighted in home-made cookies and bottled water. Then Kathleen, the Innkeeper, housekeeper, proprietor, and chef (originally from Boston, now a full-blooded Savannahian minus the Dixieland accent), showed us the rest of the inn. While the Bellevue Room was all we needed, we were tempted to upgrade to the resplendent Versailles Suite, which featured three bathtubs and copious amounts of sunlight streaming through enormous windows that spanned the entire width of the townhome. While this room was already booked for both nights, we realized that if we had been willing to spend a little more per night, we would have been ushered into this heavenly hidewaway.

Always eager to demonstrate Southern hospitality, Kathleen had arranged for Yellow Cab to pick us up. Our driver stood at the bottom of the escalator at SAV airport and held a sign that said our last name. This made the whole operation a breeze.

Kathleen was also helpful enough to recommend eating establishments for our dinners AND make reservations for us (Firefly Cafe, and Vic's on the River). We left our lunch schedules open, but after we arrived at the inn and took the tour, we were starving, so Kathleen said "You're hungry? Oh, you HAVE to go to Mrs. Wilkes!" Boy, did she know our tastes! Sure enough, Mrs. Wilkes was the greatest Southern dining experience we had ever had: 22 sides and fried chicken for lunch. Amazingly good!

Kathleen and Olde Savannah Inn was also responsible for the great Old Savannah Tour we had. We bought the tickets for the trolley AT the Olde Savannah Inn, and the trolley picked us up a mere two blocks away! Unpretentious yet highly insightful, this tour was heads and tails above any of the bloviating tours that we caught wind of as we walked the streets.

Since this was our babymoon, we had to take it easy and sit down and chill a lot. We sat on the porch and in the living room while Kathleen served us her signature iced tea and red wine. Kathleen chatted with us as we unwound from our dreadful northern winter.

And now, the greatest part of all... the breakfasts. While Kathleen said she normally serves breakfast at 9am, she did serve our breakfast at 8:45 a.m after our second night because we had an early flight. This accommodation was very welcome.

THE FOOD WAS TO DIE FOR! Fresh vanilla-bean ice cream on apple-stuffed pancakes! Fresh assorted fruit! Individual French-press coffee! Maple sausage patties! Bacon! On the second morning, Kathleen made cheese grits and Belgian waffles that were truly gourmet in character! Filling, well-balanced, and scrumptious, these breakfasts provided fuel for hearty morning walks and a time to commune with the other guests and the ever-bacon-watchful Dakota, the Olde Savannah Inn mascot.

I've been to the riverfront in Savannah. Rather than staying down there with the tourist shops and Tony Roma's foot traffic, we had a taste of how old Savannah lived by staying in the Historic District. The Olde Savannah Inn is not only a place where guests enjoy friendly staff (say "hi y'all" to Patrick and Miss Carolyn), gourmet home-cooked, unique, never-repeated breakfasts, and authentic, charming atmosphere, but it is also a place that can aptly launch you into a Savannah visit the way it was meant to be--- or at least the way YOU want it to be.

Reviewed February 16, 2008

From the moment we arrived, I knew our vacation would be perfect. Kathleen was waiting for us on the steps to greet us, and even though we had arrived three hours earlier than the scheduled check in, our room was ready and wonderful. The two things that make this inn so desireable are the easiness that you feel right from the start, and the wonderful breakfasts served each morning. If you like to eat a delicious breakfast, you are in the right place! The food was outstanding, and the desserts waiting in your room other times during the day are impressive as well. My wife had such a great time, and that made our valentine day experience so memorable. We also met some great people from California and Georgia, and that just capped off the unbelievable trip that we had. Thank you Kathleen for such a great three nights!

Reviewed February 11, 2008

My wife and I love staying with Kathleen! We've been twice now and plan to keep going back. The best part about the Olde Savannah Inn is it's size. It's large enough that you have plenty of room...but small enough to have top quality personalized service. When you stay there...it's like staying at home.

If you're going to Savannah don't bother staying anywhere else.

Matt Jolley

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2008

My husband and I were traveling through Savannah and would only be able to stay one night. After calling several inns with a two night minimum, he finally found Kathleen, who graciously agreed to a one night stay in her fabulous b & b.

Kathleen greeted us with warm hugs and helped us get our bags to our room. She gave us a tour of the inn, which is amazing! Kathleen definitely has an eye for design. We shared a nice glass of wine and interesting conversation before we headed out to find dinner. Kathleen offered to make reservations, but we prefer to wing it.

After such a busy day, we crashed into a bit of heaven in our king size bed. It felt like I was sleeping on a cloud! I woke to the sweet smell of Baked Apple Cinnamon Pancakes! This was a first for Kathleen, who had informed us that her specialty is blueberry. I suggest you request the baked apple! It was topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! It was like eating dessert for breakfast!!

Kathleen is a warm and very intersting lady. You will enjoy your conversations with her. Dakota, her 8 year old black lab is very well mannered and sweet. I could not resist sharing my bacon with him. I also enjoyed meeting the other guests.

We have already begun to plan our next stay and it will be for more than one night. :)

Reviewed February 2, 2008

Okay guys I understand your plight. You have been searching for a very special place. One that will make her hug you tight around the neck and love you for being so thoughtful. If The Olde Savannah Inn is within your price range Book it RIGHT NOW. Then get to bed and know she WILL be impressed. If it's a little above your price range BOOK IT ANYWAY. You'll only take her to Savannah for the first time once. THIS is what she's expecting. (If your honey is reading this then SHE should book it right now...don't wait for your husband to approve...this is how he wants to spoil you, some of us just need a little help sometimes).

I was distraught about this time last year looking for hours for the absolute knock-your-socks off kinda place to take my wife for our twentieth anniversary. But...I did not find the Olde Savannah Inn in time. No...I thought I was going to impress my bride a few doors down. The other place was okay. But, walking past the clean bright entrance to the Olde Savannah Inn we thought we'd pop-in for a quick hello and maybe sneak a tour.

Liitle did we know Kathleen, the Inn owner, would greet us as if we were staying. She offered us dessert, wine and friendly conversation. It was late and felt we may be over staying our welcome, but as we were leaving, she invited us over for breakfast.

In the late morning everyone had checked out so we got to check-out all the rooms. WOW! Read the other reviews for details...just WOW!! Kathleen was so down to earth, but don't confuse that with her not making everything in her inn High-End and Perfect.

GUYS please, you know we will search for hours to make sure it's the right place. I've done that already. THIS is the RIGHT PLACE. If she doesn't LOVE IT she's not breathing.

Kathleen, Thank You...when we return to Savannah you will be our ONLY choice. We will change our dates if we have to to stay at your place.

Oh yeah guys, you're wondering about location. Its great...stop stalling. Book It Right Now.

Why is it so great...Kathleen. And funny enough, there's only one of her in Savannah.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trip21meister
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We have just returned from a delightful weekend in Savannah. The highlight of our trip was our stay with Kathleen at The Olde Savannah Inn. What a warm and charming hostess! She has done a magnificent job remodeling this 1870's home while keeping the feel of the elegance of the Old South. Our room was upstairs and had a large ensuite bathroom with all new fixtures, travertine tiles, large mirrors, and clawfooted tub/shower. The bed was king-size with a beautiful carved wood headboard and luxurious bed linens - very comfortable. Also, I loved having the working fireplace in the bedroom. Our breakfast was fabulous! Kathleen is a wonderful chef and she went out of her way to spoil us. We started with a lovely mix of fruits served in beautiful stemmed glassware. Next, she served a warm apple cake topped with homemade whipped cream. Then came sausage, bacon, and fresh blueberry pancakes! WOW! The next time I'm in Savannah I will definately make my home base The Olde Savannah Inn.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2008

My husband and I have for years traveled and stayed in the very Best Inn's & B&B's across the U.S., this was by far the most Romantic and Luxury Inn we have stayed in and without question the most caring Innkeeper in our entire travels, we would return to Savannah Georgia just to visit the Olde Savannah Inn, the gourmet Breakfast each morning was just fantastic, you get at least 3 courses, and Kathleen the Innkeeper will point you in the right directions for the best tour's and dining, Carolyn the lady that works with Kathleen is just the sweetest lady and so caring, the one dear part of the Inn for me was Dakota, a black lab you just love and since losing my yellow and Black Labs last year, Dakota fills your heart with joy. We have found in the past with other B&B's you might have people who just don't have that warm and caring spirit to run an Inn, but not at the Olde Savannah Inn, you feel so welcome when you walk in the door and then you feel that you are a part of the family, for my husband and I it was just the perfect spot to get away for a weekend and wished we could have stayed longer, you want want to miss this Inn on your travels, exquisite in every detail, truly an Inn you will feel right at home in and Kathleen will go to the extreme to make your stay truly an experience you will never forget, I cried when we left and thats a first for me in regards to staying at an Inn. We will be back for sure, my husband and I are still talking about how welcome we felt and those Breakfast meals each morning were out of this world, the cookies in your room are all homemade from scratch as are her breakfast meals, and your bed is always turned down at night, and those Egyptian linens are a dream , you can also raid the fridge at night for the best cheese and crackers, Just can't say enough, you will also find the INN to be impeccably clean and the quaint tables in the dining area are set for a King and Queen. Just can't say enough, will be back soon. To most of us travelers, being truly welcomed and treated with a loving caring heart is a huge part of our travels, you will find that and much more at the Olde Savannah Inn, in Savannah Georgia,. Thank you so much Kathleen!!!!!!! Jerry & Maryzena Ballard , We Love Ya!!! Special hugs to Carolyn & Dakota!!