“BOOK NOW!!! #1 BED AND BREAKFAST IN SAVANNAH”

Justine Inn Savannah
Ranked #5 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“BOOK NOW!!! #1 BED AND BREAKFAST IN SAVANNAH”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My now fiancee and I stayed in The Renaissance Room here at The Olde Savannah Inn for 3 nights. It was absolutely unbelievable. Before speaking specifically about this inn, know this: if you travel to Savannah and stay in a regular hotel (not a Bed and Breakfast) you're insane!

Kathleen (the owner) is indescribable. She goes so far above-and-beyond what you would expect from an innkeeper. By the end of our stay, it almost felt like she was our mother!! My girlfriend and I caught ourselves, on more than one occasion, referring to the Inn as "home".

On our second night, my girlfriend and I got engaged at Forsyth Park. If you're reading this, and thinking of proposing, this Inn is perfect for you! You're a stone's throw from the amazing park. When we showed Kathleen the ring, she was nearly brought to tears and gave us some champagne to celebrate while we went on the horse-carriage ride she had booked for us. The carriage picked us up at the steps of the Inn!

The breakfasts she cooked were delicious. We never once needed to eat lunch, as they held us through to dinner. The breakfast is served in a dining room with four tables for 2 overlooking the garden ... Our room (The Renaissance Room) was on the top floor. The windows overlooked Gaston St, an excellent view. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was quite impressive. Everything was very clean, as Kathleen did room service each day as we went about our day ... The Versailles Court was even more impressive (we snuck a peek). When we come back (hopefully soon!) we'll make sure to book that room ...

Room Tip: The Versailles Court and the Renaissance Room are the best two rooms. DEFINITELY worth the extra mon...
1 Thank Phil D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This was our first stay at this luxurious bed and breakfast near Forsyth Park in historic Savannah. Kathleen, the innkeeper is a very sensitive soul who welcomed us into her home with open arms. We especially appreciated her personal assistance in helping us get the car situated both when we arrived and when we left. Kathleen even stood outside in the rain to wave us off when we departed. We were treated like beloved family members throughout our two day stay.

We choose the Provence room for our visit and it was indeed lovely and elegant. The linens on the bed were perfectly pressed and of exceptional quality. The down pillows were without a doubt the most comfortable that we have ever experienced. We slept like royalty with the soft garden light seeping through the plantation shutters much like a dreamy nightlight.

The room itself was impeccably clean and had a splendid working gas fireplace which was flanked on both sides by built-in bookshelves. I enjoyed browsing through the fantastic array of books in our room and throughout the house. I found many of my favorite titles as well as an equal number of quaint volumes with which I was unfamiliar.

The bath room was quite private and spilt into two separate rooms, one with the toilet and sink, the other with a very beautiful modern shower. There is no bathtub in this particular room so if that is an important amenity for you then you might want to choose one of the other three rooms, all of which have tubs. High quality robes and slippers were provided.

On our first evening at the inn we persuaded Kathleen to join us in the parlor while we had our wine and cheese. We had the best time laughing and telling funny stories before going out for dinner. Dakota, her 13 year old lab, slept at my feet on the hearth rug whenever we were in the parlor. He was an angel throughout our stay. We asked Kathleen for suggestions regarding places to eat and things to do while in Savannah and she was very adept at hooking us up with exactly the places and things we enjoy.

The food at the inn was both tasty and plentiful. The first afternoon there were big chewy chocolate chip cookies in the room and the second afternoon we found a piece of delicious spice cake. Our breakfast the first morning consisted of a fresh fruit in a crystal goblet and blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon and sausage. The second morning in addition to the fresh fruit, we had shrimp omelets, bacon, and grits.

All in all the experience was delightful, the value for the money was unbelievable, and we will definitely return.

1 Thank Jill J
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2012

What a lovely place! I can't imagine anyone not enjoying themselves here. The room was immaculate with crisp ironed sheets. The steam shower was a pleasant surprise and a real treat after a long night out exploring the town. Kathleen was very pleasant and made sure pressed coffee was available for us early risers. The breakfast room was beautiful, not to mention the lovely breakfast she served. No detail was left out, delightful fresh fruit served with elegance and the hot main course was delish! Our two night stay was relaxing and Savannah has so much charm and history. I'm not sure how Kathleen manages to pull everything off on her own but she definitely does! Thanks again for sharing your home and Dakota with us. A small piece of Savannah with a LARGE impact, what a GREAT way to start a New Year!

1 Thank Danna M
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband had been in Afghanastan for a year. We wanted to go to Savannah and have a nice 3 day getaway before having family for christmas. After looking long and hard I chose this Inn. We arrived there right at 3:00 pm for check in. Well to our suprise the Inn keeper was not there only her son. He said she was expecting us the next day. I said no it was today. So we waited 30 minutes for Kathleen to show. She looked on her calender and as I told her we were scheduled that day. She apologized and asked us to come back in 1 1/2 hours so she could get the room ready and promised it would be worth our while and she would have a bottle of wine and a wonderful dessert waiting for us. After waiting 2 hours in the park we came back and it was another 10 minutes before we were able to get in the room. Well we did not get a bottle of wine and our wonderful desserts for the next 2 nights were 2 choclate chip cookies. When we told her we did not want to stay there she said that she could not refund our money because of the economy but did not even offer a discount after she forgot about us and made us wait 2 hours to get in our room. To my suprise it was VERY SMALL It was very hot in the room and when we asked where the thermos stat was it is outside the room and it is for the entire house and not individual rooms. We finally had to ask for a fan to cool off. When you open up the door to our room the bed is right there and the fireplace is so close to the other side of the bed you cannot even enjoy it. The pics on the web make the room look much bigger. You either have to sit on the bed, the tiny couch or in one of the tubs. Like the other reviews the bathroom was pretty but you could not shut the doors and the toilet was right out in the open! I was shocked. If you want privacy in the bathroom your partner had to stay on the bed! We used the jacuzzi tub but couldnt fill it all the way because we ran out of hot water. After about 20 minutes of trying to get it to work it finally started but by then we were ready to get out. We did not even stay the 3rd night. I never saw any horsd'oeuvres or wine waiting on us when when we stayed. And what really bothers me is she acted like she did us a favor because she got our room ready in 2 hours. It should have been ready at 3:00pm when we arrived! parking was another issue. had to park in the street and hope my car didnt get towed. our view outside the window were a trash can and cars parked in the back. For what we spent here we could have stayed downtown charleston in a suite that you could actually walk around in with a huge private bathroom, balcony over looking king street, breakfast brought up to your room. fireplace with nice couch and chair to sit in. We did not even stay the 3rd night we just made the best of it cut our losses and called it a learning lesson.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
15 Thank lillian y
kathleen55, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
I am Kathleen/Owner/Inkeeper and I would like to respond to this guest and to future guests who would like to book the Versailles Court. I stepped out of the inn momentarily and my son was at the desk when these guests arrived. I made a mistake by not expecting these guests. For some reason, I didn't mark it in my book ...I felt terrible. I promised them if they give me 1.5 I will make it worth their while. I did put a bottle of pinogrigio in their room with cheesecake. They never drank the wine for some reason. Fortunately, I rushed so fast to get this room up, I was ready for them in 1 hr and 10 min. I was happy I atleast shorten my time working on the room. That didn't settle right with this guest. I apologized atleast 5 times but it was never sincerely accepted. This guest kept wanting me to apoogize and finally, I said" I a have apologized several times, I am not apologizing anymore. Inkeepers aren't perfect. I work hard to have everything perfect but this time I made a error . With that said" I showed this couple the room and ,the wife started complaining about the temperature...I lowered the temperture down from 68-64...I don't have individual thermostates in the bedrooms. The termostate is outside of the Versailles room and cools off the Rennissance and Versailles. I did a hugh restoration in 2005 and I just couldn't add any more to the project. I am sorry to disappoint these guests. At 64 degrees, I had to call a service guy because the compressors had frozed.. The Rennissance room started to complain it was freezing in their room . I asked to borrow the guest's fan in the Rennissance room so the Versailles would be satisfied. Needless to say, their were more problems ....I have never had a guest complain the room was too small. It is as big as the length of my house. Do I offer ocean room views, balconies ovelooking King Street in Charleston, this is the Historic Disrict of Savananh. I love the charm of this gracious city. Even the alley ways with trash cans are charming. I grew up in Boston on Newberry St and this is how city life is. First of all, if the Versailles room was in Charleston, I would be getting more money than $294 per night. This room warrnats $400+ Per night. The lovely French settee is delicate sitting and it is what it is. French furniture is delicate and elegant. It isn't suppose to be big and bulky. The husband tried to reason with her , but she was determind to set her mind to all her resentments.. They threathen to leave, I told them, I could give them 1 night refund and he decided if they got a fan, they would try and stay. The second day, I asked them how they slept and if everything was good. They told me the temperature was perfect. The following morning they decided to forfeit the 3rd night and leave early. I was told that they were expecting company to prepare for and everything was great. I sat down with them at breakfast to get to know them a little and I thought by the time they left, we had build a rapport. Not so fast! Who knew that after 2 months, they would decide to write such a poor review. Let me clarify another complaint. I offer cheese and crackers with a complimentary glass of wine in the afternoon. depending on the group. Some guests prefer to take a nap and maybe have some port before dinner.They didn't come downstairs to mingle with the guests. They came in from shopping and went directly upstairs. Let me not forget how the commodet is exposed with no privacy....Not true. I have the commode in an undisclosed area away from the bedroom with French doors for those who want more privacy. Let me just close this by saying" read all the 5-Star reviews of the popularity of this beautiful room. This is 1 person's opinion, verses 648 who can't say enough great things about The Olde Savannah Inn. The Versailles Court is absolutely perfect and it has been beautifuully designed for pure luxury. Come and see what you are missing before putting credence in this reviewers opinion. I look forward to your stay. Warmest Blessings, Kathleen
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 8, 2012

For our fifth anniversary, my husband surprised me by booking a two night stay in The Olde Savannah Inn's Provence Room. Even before we walked through the front door, I was quickly falling in love with it. We were greeted by Dakota, a very sweet and well behaved "senior dog", as described by Kathleen the innkeeper. Kathleen greeted us both by name with a smile and a warm hug. I found her to be an excellent hostess throughout our stay. She's funny, honest, and will give you suggestions on places to visit and where the best restaurants are in town.
The inn itself is impeccable. I was blown away by the quality of the service and the elegance of our room! The linens were crisp and high quality, and the furnishings were perfect. The room also boasts one of the most beautiful showers I've ever seen, along with a wonderful fireplace. Comfortable robes, and slippers are among the amenities we enjoyed during our stay. Another high point were the breakfasts we enjoyed during our stay. Both of them surpassed all my expectations. We ate creme brulee french toast one morning, and eggs benedict topped with pesto the next. There was also coffee (graciously re filled by Kathleen) and fresh fruit served in lovely crystal goblets. Needless to say, I will never be 100% satisfied with the usual breakfasts offered at other hotels. Our stay was truly perfect, and my husband and were sorry to leave. We both agree that we will return on our next visit to Savannah.

Before closing out my review I have to put my two cents in regarding some of the negative reviews I read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, true. However, some people simply can't or refuse to be pleased. The fact that Kathleen isn't a native southerner shouldn't matter. Through my interactions with her, I got the unmistakable impression that she feels very connected to Savannah, and enjoys living there. Also, any adult woman who has ever owned high quality bath towels, especially white ones, shouldn't balk at being asked not to use them to remove their make up with. Ladies, that is what cotton balls or tissues are for! Also, I never saw Dakota anywhere near the breakfast room. Claims that he begged at tables for food, or drooled on guests while they were eating, are either flat out falsehoods or exaggerations. He spent much of the time napping in the parlor area.
I encourage anyone who is considering spending their time in Savannah at this inn, to give it a try! I promise you that you will enjoy your stay and will want to hurry back!

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 8, 2012

There is a very good reason why 645 people (now 646!) have rated this Inn as excellent and only 9 have rated it poorly - some people are obviously never satisfied! From the moment we arrived, Kathleen (the owner/innkeeper) made us feel as though we were the most important people to ever set foot in the Inn. The attention to detail is AMAZING and her breakfasts are absolute perfection. We stayed in the Versailles room and both agreed it was the most beautiful and well-appointed room we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. She asked us not to hesitate if there was anything she could do for us and helped us get to know the beautiful city of Savannah. Both mornings we were treated to a gourmet breakfast with fresh fruit - she is an excellent chef! After walking the town all day during our stay, we returned to the Inn with the full intent of freshening up and going back out to dinner. We were so tired that we didn't want to leave the room. I wandered into the parlor to ask Kathleen for some ice and she offered us some of her red velvet cake, since we didn't feel like going out. Despite the hour, she served it up with a smile and added her homemade whipped cream. It was divine! When we returned the next night, we found pound cake wrapped on a plate on the desk in our room, after it was cleaned from top to bottom - in case we were hungry! Everything here is "as advertised" - you only get the best of the best when you stay here. We were fortunate enough to stay while she was offering the "Innkeeper's Special" and left feeling as though we had received the deal of a lifetime. Excellent location and the perfect stay! Highly recommended!

Toronto
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were welcomed to Savannah at the Inn by the owner and Innkeeper Kathleen Dupuis. We arrived a bit early thus as part of her gracious greeting she suggested we have a relaxing dinner at the Crystal Beer Parlour. Being famished and thirsty, we scooted over for a terrific meal and satisfying beverages in an historic setting. We scooted back to the Inn to be shown to the Renaissance Room at the front and top floor of a home built in 1867 and renovated by Kathleen. The room had its own fully equipped bath/shower complete with a pedestal tub. The poster bed was very inviting as well, complemented by a period fireplace (converted to gas) which we didnt use. We settled in, enjoyed some warm conversation over a glass of port (offered in the lving room), then rested in a very quiet, comfy room. Breakfast both days was fabulous, including fresh fruit, maple bacon and Kathleen's secret but scrumptuous recipes. Kathleen also helped recommend restaurants, tours and other things making the entire 2 night visit one of our best travel experiences ever. Kathleen has a ver friendly pooch (black lab), so if you love pets you'll love Dakota. The price was right for this first class offering! The location is an easy walk (for mobile, healthy people) to any point of interest in the historic district. Thanks Kathleen for everything!

Room Tip: Any roon at this Inn is a sure bet.