“EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE - RETURNING”
Review of B Matthew's Eatery

B Matthew's Eatery
Ranked #32 of 887 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Habersham
Description: Serving hungry devotees since 2007, B. Matthew's is a locally loved hidden gem nestled in historic Savannah, GA. Home of one of the oldest standing taverns in the Southeast, this little eatery boasts impressive accolades, awards, & praise for their Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, & Brunch.
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Friendly competent knowledgeable staff
Interesting wine list with well-chosen suggestions
Fun beer list w/ seldom-seen brews ("Dale's Pale Ale", for example)
Outstanding appetizers
Good bread
Great arugala salad
Well-paced evening
Good cheese cake
Eclectic entrees
Traditional dark-wood decor
Went with group from Flight Test Engineering office (Mixed Germans and Americans) ... Very fun ... blustery Monday evening. 75% full (smallish place with nice foot-on-rail bar
Going back with Laurie this Friday.
No down-side

Reviewed November 21, 2010

My wife, one year old son, and I stopped by B. Matthews today for brunch. We arrived just before 9am when they opened and was seated promptly. They were able to place us in a table toward the back of the restaurant to allow our napping son to stay in his stroller and still be out of the way of patrons and employees.

My wife ordered the Bay Street Scrambler which was scrambled eggs with some type of hollandaise sauce, hash browns, diced tomatoes, bacon, cheese, and scallions. The meal also included a biscuit. She enjoyed her meal and stated that she was stuffed by the time she was nearly finished.

For myself, I initially ordered the black eye pea cake sandwhich but was told that they were not available when our waitress placed the order. I was disappointed as I saw several reviews here on TripAdvisor about the cakes and was looking forward to giving them a try. I was then recommended the meatloaf which I went with. I was a little worried as I'm not generally a meatloaf type of guy but I like to try new things.

When the meatloaf arrived, I was throughly impressed by both the presentation and the taste! It had 'pomme frittes' which was their version of very thinly sliced french fries stacked on top of the dish. The meatloaf was smothered in wild mushroom sauce, which was excellent. One thing I'm not sure of is what the meatloaf was served laying on top of? I did not ask the waitress although I now wish that I had. It was some type of bread/cake type that seemed to be made with herbs? Any way, the dish was excellent and I was very happy with it. Everything in the dish melded together perfectly, the meatloaf was very tender and full of flavor.

The wait staff all appeared to be very friendly and attentive. We were in and out of the restaurant in no time with full stomachs and a good impression of the establishment. We will definitely stop by the next time that we are in Savannah.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Best food value in Savannah. And on Tuesdays ask about the half-priced bottles of wine. Food is outstanding and makes up for the half-empty room, which was a little depressing. Why isn't this place packed?

Reviewed October 27, 2010

Great Food...was afraid it would be touristy since on the main strip on Bay Street. But it was a fabulous lunch...probably our best while in Savannah. My husband and I both were extremely happy, was recommended to us by our innkeeper and we were not disappointed. Great bread and soup!!

1  Thank jdlamber
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We were looking for a place to eat our first night in Savannah and b. Matthews was suggested to us by the desk clerk at our hotel. I had the open faced Tuna Sandwich and it was wonderful! I am going to be craving it now that I am back home. I can truly say that our meal there was the best our whole trip. We also went back one night for dessert after eating a meal at another restaurant and they were very good, too!