“Good, not great”

B Matthew's Eatery
Ranked #32 of 889 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Habersham
Description: Serving hungry devotees since 2007, B. Matthew's is a locally loved hidden gem nestled in historic Savannah, GA. Home of one of the oldest standing taverns in the Southeast, this little eatery boasts impressive accolades, awards, & praise for their Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, & Brunch.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently went there for Sunday brunch with my family. I love the look and feel of the restaurant. The food, as I said, was good, not great. Everything is definitely homemade from the sauces to the entrees. My shrimp and grits had 5 medium size shrimp over a very thin layer of grits. Although it was plenty for my small appetite, I think that my husband would have been disappointed in the portion size. The dish overall was not as tasty as I would have liked. The grits were not really seasoned and seemed bland for the dish. My son had the waffle and duck. He received four fried pieces of duck. Two of them could not be eaten because there was not any meat in it. They were just two big chunks of deep fried duck fat. The other two pieces were over cooked and dry. The caesar salad had a homemade dressing that I liked but if you do not enjoy the taste of anchovies then I would skip it. My husband's quiche of the day was good and so were the biscuits and gravy. In the end, I love that everything is homemade but it just didn't rate a "great" from me.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Due to a computer glitch in the kitchen, we waited nearly an hour between our appetizer and dinner. The waitress and manager could not have been more apologetic. The food was worth waiting for! To make up for the computer glitch the manager did not charge us for our bottle of wine. Now that was nice! And we will be back.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had a fabulous dinner here on a quiet Wednesday evening during Savannah's Restaurant Week. The decor is warm and inviting; the tables intelligently spaced. Delicious, inventive dishes and generous portions of well-prepared food make this quaint restaurant a standout. We had made reservations and were promptly greeted and seated. Quiet jazz selections played in the background and our waiter was attentive without being over-bearing. My salmon was spectacular and the chocolate tort was awesome! Even my "difficult-to-please" mother-in-law was impressed with her pork dish! We will definitely return - this could easily become our favorite place to eat in Savannah.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This place is very classy and modern looking. Nice but small bar and a medium size dining area and there was a keyboard player in the corner. Menu was impressive, I got the scallops with risotto and the chocolate tort for dessert and both were amazing. They also had good beer and wine pairings. And the server was very cool and helpful.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is my new most favorite brunch place in Savannah. I hesitate writing such a glowing review for fear that it will become too busy but I can't hold back - this place is delicious, adorable, healthy, and in a fantastic location! I went for brunch with a girlfriend, enjoyed a fabulous bloody mary, and had the veggie benedict, everything was fresh, bright, and delicious! The service was good, not pushy at all, and the fruit, even in January, was juicy and delicious! Definitely check this place out next time you're in town! It's great for friends or a date!