“Outstanding, one of the best!”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Ranked #45 of 925 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I am a local here in Savannah and was able to try this amazing place during Restaurant Week. My guest and I started out with some incredible cocktails: a bloody Mary for me (seriously the best one I've ever had (sorry grandpa!)) and a martini for him. Our server (please forgive me for not remembering her name; see the bloody Mary part) was professional, attentive, and well versed in all things Alligator Soul. You could just tell she loved working there; something not normal in the hospitality industry. I had the Fried Green Tomatoes (best in town), the Soul Creole with quite possibly the best Andouille sausage in the world, and the banana beignet.
]My friend enjoyed his Bison Asado and lemon/blueberry cheesecake (he wouldn't share). Every dish compliment each other and I dare say this was the best meal I've had in 8 years of living here.

Prompt service, great food, and a wonderful staff. This place has it going on. We will be back often! (seriously though...the bloody mary...amazing!!!)

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

A better Bloody Mary than how grandpa makes? What a compliment, Erin! Thanks for taking the time to sing our praises. We hope to see you back in soon for more of your favorites!

Take care,
Maureen Craig, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,709)

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Outstanding food for the value. If you go you need to ask for Rebekah. She provided exceptional service and even took care of my special gluten free diet. If you are in Savannah... you must stop here!

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

This review is music to our ears! We always want our guests to have a truly memorable experience, and I couldn't be happier to hear that Rebekah gave you just that with her attentive service. We're lucky to have her and you can be sure that I'll pass all of your wonderful comments on to her. Thanks for recommending us so highly, and we hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're visiting Savannah!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I were meeting a couple of friends in Savannah for the weekend - I did the walk from the hotel to the restaurant to check it out for dinner the following night. The ladies at the front desk were so sweet - gave me a menu to take back and some suggestions. The next night, they remembered me, gave us the perfect table and made us laugh. Our waiter was helpful, funny and right on top of things. The drinks and wine were wonderful and the food was absolutely fabulous - especially the shrimp & grits. I can't remember the last time we had such a perfect restaurant experience.

It's wonderful to hear that you and your friends had such an incredible get together with us! I'm so glad that my whole team was helpful and friendly, and all of your dishes were fantastic. The Shrimp & Grits is definitely a fan favorite, and it sounds like you've joined the club! Thanks for sharing about your visit here, and we hope y'all will come back and see us again soon -- we'd love to give you another perfect experience!

Cheers,

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Recently moved here. Tried Alligator Soul during annual restaurant week, three courses from limited menu for $30. Great varied food choices, with reduced cost wine suggestions. Service was professional, attentive, and all appeared to take a genuine interest in the dining experience. Primary server David did an excellent job connecting with us, explaining the menu, and checking on us. manager came by to look in on us as well. Nice ambience, pleasing noise level, and they made a silk purse out of a basement situation. The food was very well prepared and presented, nicely paced, and even though portion sizes were reduced because of the restaurant week special, it was more than enough for us. Beignet dessert was special and unique. Finally, the coffee, often a weakness at otherwise good restaurants, was excellent, from a local roaster/supplier. We will return and recommend this restaurant.

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

First off, welcome to Savannah! I'm so glad you got the opportunity to give us a try during restaurant week, and that you had a wonderful evening with us. Our customers' happiness is always top of mind, and it's fantastic to hear that everything, from your server, David, to our tasty dishes, was so spot on. Thanks for sharing your experience here, and we look forward to welcoming you back in again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great service. Some really great flavors too (Oysters a la soul, diver scallops, Alligator Soul house salad), but the "Little Hilbo" ("All-Natural Grass Fed Ribeye") was a large, hunk of fat bound by inedible shoe leather, a wretched brick of gristle. I tried to eat four bites, but had to remove them from my mouth. Shocking, considering the rest of our experience. Unforgivable too, considering reviews from other diners who had the same, unfortunate experience. Would I try them again? Hell no, there are other, good alternatives in Savannah. This piece of cowhide did not remotely resemble ribeye, which we eat often.

1  Thank ARNK-UU

Given how much you enjoyed our other dishes and flavors, It's truly disappointing to hear you weren't more impressed with the Little Hilbo. We never want our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I'm sorry if we missed a chance to make this right before you left. Our customers' happiness is our top priority, and if anything is ever no to your standards, we'll gladly do what it takes to make it right.

While I know that first impressions are hard to shake, a second chance to wow you would mean the world to us. I'm confident that we can knock it out of the park for you, and sincerely hope you'll consider giving us another try.