“Top Shrimp n' Grits”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 889 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The restaurant is located downstairs and was cool and inviting. It has attractive exposed brick walls, low-ish light and dark wood. All and all, a place that you would want to hang out and eat some creatures (they offer many varieties) and drink some drinks.

My sis and I rolled into Alligator Soul around 6pm, a bit sweaty and disheveled, and sat at the bar, because we didn't have a reservation and just wanted a couple of drinks and shrimp n' grits.

Disclaimer- because both my sister and I are shrimp n' grits enthusiasts- we call it "shree and gree" and are pretty much over enthusiastic about it....

This was ***The Best Shrimp n' Grits**** either one of us ever had! We gushed about it liberally to the bartender who took care of us, Anna, and we had a good time chatting with her.

Then we ordered the Alligator Andouille, so we could say we ate some alligator in Georgia. It was good, and luckily tasted like chicken.

Then we got a surprise from the kitchen. The chef sent us an amuse bouche of pulled wild boar with cheddar crumble. A totally tasty bite, and it made us feel very VIP.

Why isn't this rated higher that #47??? I highly doubt Savannah has that restaurants better than Alligator Soul.

Eat there!

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

The best Shrimp & Grits? That's such a fantastic compliment, and I couldn't be happier to hear that you and your sister had such a wonderful dining experience with us. I'm glad that Anna took excellent care of you. She's on of our bests, and I'll be sure to pass your wonderful comments on to her. Thanks for spreading the good word about us, and I hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're visiting Savannah!

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We were unable to get reservations, so we showed up when they opened and sat at the bar. Matthew was our bartender, and was very nice. The below ground accommodations lack the speakeasy feel of Planters Tavern. However, the food was exceptional. It may be the best food we have had in savannah....ever. The oyster appetizer was heavenly. The cocktails were very good, featuring organic liquor when available (if that's your thing). They had nice twists on classic cocktails, and some unique house offerings on the menu. Our party of four ordered 3 different main courses and they were all very good. This is definitely a restaurant to keep on our list!

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

The best food ever? That's such an incredible compliment, and I'm so glad that you and your party had an enjoyable evening with us. Matthew is one of our best, and it's great to hear that he took excellent care of you. We're pretty lucky to have him on the team, and I'll be sure to pass your comments on to him. That said, I couldn't be happier that all of your dishes were so delicious, and the Oysters a la Soul really stood out. They're definitely a fan favorite and it sound like you've joined the club, too! Thanks for sharing your experience here, and we look forward to seeing you in again soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Of all the places to get a recommendation, I found this restaurant listed on someone's list on Pinterest... so we thought we should try it. First off, you should make a reservation, but we couldn't so we came anyway and ate at the bar. Great bar staff-- very knowledgable and offered great suggestions. The place was spotless, nice and quiet enough we could hear each other. Food came out fast and was really really good. The shrimp and grits were amazing and enough to feed several people! The Soul Creole was spicy and delicious. Oysters stuffed with bacon??? Wonderful. This will definitely be a place we visit each time we are in Savannah.

I'm so glad that you found us on Pinterest! What a great find, and it's even better to hear that we lived up to the expectations. I couldn't be happier that the Shrimp & Grits were so amazing, and the Soul Creole was just as delicious. And what's better than oysters? Oysters with bacon, of course! It's fantastic that everything was so wonderful, and we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you when you visit Savannah -- there's plenty more where that came from!

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Perfect spot to dine with my hunny. The food was top notch, and we couldn't have chosen a better spot for our one night stay in Savannah!

We couldn't be happier to hear that you and your hunny had such a wonderful evening with us, Emily! We feel honored that you chose us on your one night, and I'm so glad that we could live up to that expectation. Thanks for sharing, and we hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're visiting Savannah!

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

This was our first time do I g here and it was amazing! The bison, Creole, alligator sausage and oysters were outstanding! Were we're celebrating our honeymoon and the personalized service was very special! Thank you for a great meal and lovely service!

It's fantastic to hear that you had such a wonderful dinner with us, Ansel! We always want our guests' to have a truly memorable experience, and I hope we helped make this anniversary one to remember. I couldn't be happier that all of your dishes were spot on, and you both felt so well taken care of. Thank you for sharing your experience, and hope to see you in again for another special meal!