“Not our Favorite”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 897 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The food was good, not amazing... we had a table in a corner on one side of a louvered partition and the guest on the other side was a very loud-talker...very annoying and I am not overly sensitive.
The waiter described the special as "mahi-tuna"??? with a "spice kick" and while I did go with the special..."ahi-tuna", it had no kick at all, it was fresh but I hate when places stick a piece of sausage with a mild fish... it really overpowers and it was supposed to have a Asian flare.
Prices were HIGH, compared to the fine dining experience we had the night before and at other places we looked at.
We were underwhelmed :( It was a busy night, but service was noticeably slow.

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

I'm very sorry you were underwhelmed, Renee, but I can understand why you might have been so disappointed. Normally our service is top-notch, and guests can expect the highest quality dishes and a memorable evening when they dine with us. I'm confident that this was an off night for us and I hope, if you return to Savannah, you'll give us a second chance.

Maureen Craig, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

The best cuisine with a "southern twist" I've ever had! Every single dish was outstanding from the oysters, alligator gumbo, shrimp & grits, to the dry aged ribeye. The warm, caring, hospitality of the staff and management was second to none. We were even given a favorite house recipe to bring back to Massachusetts to make! Definitely a must try in Savannah!! Would have given this 10 stars.

1  Thank RToolin50
Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

I hope you enjoy that recipe! Thanks for trying us out and I'm very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your evening. The staff and I appreciate that you'd take the time to review us and we hope your next visit to Savannah isn't too far in the future!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Go down the stairs and into a great place to eat. Stopped at the bar until our reservation time. Attentive service and well-poured drinks. Dinner did not disappoint either. Scallops and a veal chop were prepared and served with expertise. Not serve how many servers we had, seemed to see a lot of different faces, but all were competent and took great care of us.

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

I'm so happy to hear you were well taken care of, Dave! It's very important to us that every aspect of your visit, from the service to the quality of your dishes, is top notch -- it's great to know that we lived up to our reputation. If you get a chance, I hope you'll come back!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

From the time our bread arrived at the table until it was time to go home, we had one of our best dining experiences in all our travels. My cousin and his wife from the frozen tundra had received a recommendation and my wife and I were glad that we joined them for dinner. We had the alligator gumbo (best alligator I have ever tasted including countless dining experiences in Louisiana and Texas) followed by the grits and shrimp. Wonderful, buttery flavor. Our wives had the vegetarian dish and fried green tomatoes. We all left as very happy campers and will be back when our travels take us to Savannah.

I couldn't be more thrilled to hear that we provided you with one of your best dining experiences in all your travels! We're glad your cousin and his wife received that recommendation so we could have the opportunity to impress you. When you return to Savannah I hope you'll stop by -- thanks for the review!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Amazing menu selections, great bar and beer list, the service was top shelf. The food was delicious, imaginative, and unique. I had the Braised buffalo Short Ribs. They came right off the bone and were amazing!

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Glad you enjoyed the ribs, Mike. You'll have to come back sometime if you ever find yourself in Savannah again -- we've got plenty of other dishes you might enjoy! Thanks so much for leaving us feedback and we appreciate you spreading the word about us online.