“Fabulous food in a cozy cellar”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 901 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The chef is truly inspired: the combinations of flavors and ingredients were unique and every dish we tried was delicious. If you like game, this is definitely the place to come. The service is excellent, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. I'm definitely coming back the next time I visit Savannah!

1  Thank Wanderlust777
Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

We look forward to your visit! Thanks so much for the thoughtful review and recommendation, I appreciate how supportive you are of our restaurant. I'll pass along your warm words to the staff, and don't stay away for too long!

Take care,
Maureen Craig, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Oysters Bieneville were horrible. Overdone and covered in a glue like paste. The ostrich special was ruined by a cut of meat that had a thick muscle running all the way through it. Service was horrible. Server claimed he had just gotten back from vacation but I think in his mind he was still there. Didn't know the menu had to go to the kitchen and clarify menu items at least twice. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and hated that we wasted one of our nights at this restaurant when there are so many other better ones.

1  Thank Claudia D
Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

As we wrote in response to your husband's review, we're very sorry that your visit didn't live up to the high standards we're known for, Claudia. I know you were expecting amazing food and great service, so it's extremely disappointing that we couldn't provide it for one of your honeymoon dinners. Thanks for voicing your feedback, and I hope the rest of your vacation goes well.

Best,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Alligator soul was recommended to us by someone at a gallery as we wanted somewhere not too touristy. Place looked interesting, got seated right away. Wanted Sauvignon Blanc only had 3 on the menu and the one we wanted wasn't available. Waiter was rude and we obviously must have been inconveniencing him as he kept leaving. Sooo we finally got up and left him. Never to return.

1  Thank Robert H
Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

I'm terribly sorry that your waiter was so inattentive you decided to leave before trying any of our food, Robert. I know, had you stayed, you would have been more than impressed. Thank you for bringing the incident to my attention, and I will make sure this doesn't happen again. I can understand how frustrating this experience must have been, but I hope you can look past it to give us another shot. What do you say?

All the best,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I ate there on business with a professional chef. We got to try many menu items and they were all incredible. If you go, be adventurous. They have several exotic foods that are excellent. They also use Freeman's Mill grits that are ground locally in Statesboro!

1  Thank Dana S

"Be adventurous" — that's great advice, Dana, especially when dining at Alligator Soul! I'm happy to hear that everything was so incredible, and thanks for choosing our restaurant for your business meeting. I hope to see you again soon so you can try another one of our exotic dishes!

All the best,

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We generally make it a point to visit Alligator Soul yearly on our way to Destin....

This time we were very disappointed....The crab bisque was cold and the stuffed pork chop was nothing more than a thin later of stuffing in pork medallion....Left hungry....Service was adequate....with so many other good restaurants, we will move on....

Maureen C, Owner at Alligator Soul, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

We'd love a second chance, Susan. Since you've been coming to our restaurant for so many years, you know how good we can be. We're terribly sorry for the disappointing experience, but I know it was a fluke. I hope you won't let an off night turn you away for good, as we'd hate to see you go. Think you could give us another shot?

Take care,