“Perfect food!”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 888 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

First - make a reservation! We came there because our friend recommended that place, but we didn't make a reservation so we might had lost our chance if there wouldn't be any seats at the bar. Don't make that mistake and prepare. Because that worth it! Everything that we had was just delicious. I loved their shrimps and grits!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you are looking for an "elegant" evening and have an adventurous pallet, Aligator Soul is for you. Tucked away into the basement you have to know where you are going to find it. Upon arrival, we were promtly seated and there was a special box of chocolates waiting on our table. A very nice touch. David was a fabulous waiter. He was attentive, accomodating and had a great personality. We really enjoyed his bow-tie and suspenders...stands out in a crowd.

For the drinks, you can't go wrong with anything. Definitely try the flights of any choosing. They have speciality vodkas, bourbons, craft beers and Shine....oh the Shine was phenomenal.

For food, they will make anything you want. Each night the chef has "inspired" appetizers, entrees and Exotic Fare. If you want a really excellent Gumbo this side of New Orleans, you've found it at Aligator Soul. The way the chef pairs foods and spices is magical. I had a miso/wasabi grouper that was out of this world. My boyfriend was onto "exotic"ville and had the antelope. Very tender, not gamey at all and topped with a blueberry reduction. Couldn't have been better...but we've heard the Bison is even better. The only drawback for us....we didn't have any room left for dessert, which is sad because we were really counting on it.

You will not leave hungry and you will be glad you made the trip. Next time in Savannah, David you better be ready for us again, we're headed your way.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stopped because of the name and were thrilled at what we got. Best service in Savannah and exotic, scrumptious food from appetizer to dessert.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend in Savannah, and our dinner at Alligator Soul was a standout experience. We've been to many great restaurants around the world, but the creative menu, outstanding food quality and preparation, inventive (but not over the top) cocktails, personable service, and great atmosphere really made an impression on us. We even bought an Alligator Soul mug to remind us of the experience later - and that's something we wouldn't normally do!

I had the martini flight (what a great idea - why don't other restaurants have something like this?), a house salad with other-worldly cheese croutons, and buffalo short ribs as an entree. Oh my... it was all so good! We started with the frog legs appetizer, and though I've never eaten frog legs before, I enjoyed it. I can't recall what my husband had as an entree, but I know that he enjoyed it as much as I did mine.

Our server, David, was terrific - definitely ask for him!

1  Thank Pal1
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving late in Savannah our taxi driver told us to drop in on Alligator Soul and sit at the bar for tapas. We ordered fried green tomatoes, crab tart, alligator gumbo and shrimp and grits. The shrimp and grits are to die for. By for the best in Savannah.
The bartenders were friendly and helpful even though we were not big drinkers. I highly recommend Alligator Soul.