“One of the best dinners I had in the US”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 871 Restaurants in Savannah
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Lauchringen, Germany
“One of the best dinners I had in the US”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had an IEEE meeting here in Savannah and were taken out to Alligator Soul. It turned out to be a great choice. I had Shrimp and Grits and then Lamb Porterhouse with Spinach, Risotto and Feta meatball. This was just fantastic. A very balanced taste of spice, salt, and hotness. One of the best dinners I had so far in the US (I come from Europe about three times a year), truly. The lamb was crisp on the outside, medium inside, the risotto was made with mushrooms, bacon and some other ingredients which just made it a perfect match. The day before I had Shrimps and Grits at a river side restaurant, and it was just nothing compared to this one here. The taste was so much better. A true Georgia experience. I liked the coffee coups with the golden alligator on it, so I bought one directly at the restaurant. Will remind me long time about this beautiful evening.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DrBumBum

Treasure coast of Florida
“just wonderful!!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

having recently turned vegan, it was absolutely wonderful to go to a great restaurant and have the waiter (Ryan- the best!) read off the evening vegan special. it was delicious, as was my husband's fish dish. we will definitely return when we are back in town.

Visited February 2013
Hatley, Wisconsin
“What a let down”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I thought I'd get a healthy serving of alligator here, what a joke! They only serve a gator appetizer which is one shishkebob with maybe 3 bite sized pieces on it. The rest of the skewer is sausage and tomato... $16. A simple garden salad is $11. One glass of wine $9. The portions are small but you do get a chocolate squiggly motif on your plate, so I guess the price includes the artistic expression. Very dark, very "foo-foo" and pretentious... you'll walk away hungry with an empty wallet.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Katsto1020
Petoskey, Michigan
“Good Food, Bar Service Slow”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were told we had to try Alligator Soul and made a reservation on a recent Monday night for six adults. We were warmly greeted and the hostess was kind enough to stash our umbrellas and rain jackets, since it was a dark and stormy night. We were seated and asked for our drink orders and then waited and waited. The waiter came back to ask if we were ready to order our food and we mentioned that we hadn't received our cocktails yet. He went to check on our drink order and we waited some more. Finally served our drinks and we placed our order. The food was very good, grouper was fresh and tasty, shrimp and grits were also nice as well as the cioppino, to name just a few dishes. Ordering a second round of drinks was also a long wait. Can't figure it out. Maybe the bartender was swamped? No one mentioned a thing, though we thought it was a little odd. Anyway...good food, lovely space.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank dre51
York, South Carolina
“Great Food!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place has it all- Great food, Great atmosphere and Great service! We ate here visiting for the weekend on Friday night. It was so wonderful that the following evening we came back again for desserts after a dinner cruise. Everything is great about this place and is in a great location as well. I will be telling all of my friends who visit Savannah to stop in here and eat!

Visited February 2013