“Quiet place in Savannah”

Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District
Ranked #27 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Tampa, Florida
“Quiet place in Savannah”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This is a good place to stay in Savannah if you are looking for a quieter, more peaceful area than the riverfront area. This Hampton Inn is located about 6-8 blocks from the riverfront; we drove over to the riverside area only because of the heat and humidity-in nicer weather this hotel is within walking distance of most everything. I'm not sure if this building is old and completely renovated inside, or a new building made to look old, but the lobby and rooms are all completely modern and updated, yet maintain a traditional, southern feel. Maggie at the front desk made check-in fast and easy. Our room was huge and well-decorated. I especially liked the roomy bathroom; after exploring the city on a steamy summer day, the cool, white, marble and granite bath with plenty of fluffy white towels was a welcome respite. Most hotel baths, regardless of price, have very little space to store toiletries, but these baths have a large vanity/sink area along with deep shelving next to the shower, so you don't end up storing your things on the floor. The bed was the same comfortable mattress as at other Hampton Inns; however, as one other reviewer noted, the pillows were lumpy-it seemed like they were stuffed with individual cotton balls. But this is coming from someone who is picky about pillows, so take this as you will.
The air-conditioning in the room was the perfect temperature; spend a summer day in Savannah and you will thank the man that invented a.c.!!
The breakfast was typical of other Hampton Inns; a few hot items (eggs, potatoes, sausage) with plenty of bagels, breads, and some fruit and yogurt. The free newspapers stacked by the breakfast area and the large flat-screen tv make it easy to catch up with the news while you eat.
While we did not swim, I did walk by the pool, and it was clean and inviting. Another reviewer said the pool was small- I think its pretty average, it's the pool deck that is a little cramped. With that, you probably shouldn't expect to hang out poolside with a big crowd.
For those traveling with a large group, the lobby is quite accomodating-when we checked in there was an entire girl scout troop in the lobby, yet there was plenty of space for other guests. Speaking of the girl scouts, I was a little worried about the potential noise level, yet once we were in our room, we never heard any noise, either from the hallways or outside traffic.
For those who want to be a little outside of the fray and action of the touristy river area, this is the ideal place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Angela31328, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! Please let me know if you are ever traveling into Savannah again in the future. I would be more than happy to assist you personally. Enjoy your afternoon & thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We just checked out from this Hampton Inn this morning, after a two night stay. We enjoyed being able to have 4 families all stay on the same floor in close proximity to each other. The room was very nice and clean. Everything looked fresh and neatly decorated. However, the staff did not seem to care that we had confirmed weeks ago having a rollaway bed for our son, and told us upon arrival "one is not available". Our 12 year old slept both nights in a chair with an ottoman! We even told them again on checkout that this had been a problem. They seemed ambivilent about it, and did not reduce our bill at all. We have stayed at many Hampton Inns in the past with good experiences and great customer service, but not this time. If it were not for being on a trip with extended family, we would have gone to another hotel in the area.
We plan to call the manager tonight once we are home, and ask about the "100% satisfaction guarantee" that Hamptons offer. We will see what happens...

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Swgil
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Family and friends coming into town for my wedding made their reservations and stayed here during the wedding weekend May 6-8. I also stayed for two nights--one alone, and one with my new husband. Everything and everyone met and exceeded my expectations! Mindy and Angela were excellent to work with and were very accommodating with all details and requests.

My aunt and uncle had an issue with their bathroom's plumbing, but once they called, it was fixed immediately.

The bed was comfortable, the rooms were nicely sized, and breakfast was great! I love this hotel's location--just a block from the Savannah Visitor's Center and Savannah History Museum and within walking distance to Broughton Street, River Street, City Market, and all historic downtown attractions.

Very close to trolley pick up zones if you'd like to take a guided trolley tour of this beautiful city.

Thank you, Hampton Inn & Suites Historic District!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I've stayed at various Hampton Inn & Suites over the years, so when booking this hotel for Memorial Day weekend, I expected nothing but the based due to basing it off other ones I've stayed at. Wrong!!
The staff was great for the most part, but what made this hotel not enjoyable was our room. When we were there it was almost 90 degrees, so one of the first things we wanted to do when entering our stuffy room was turn on the A.C. It was broken!! On top of that, the windows are sealed shut, so getting reg. air wasn't possible. Since the hotel was supposedly booked full, they had to send maintenance to fix it. It was fixed, but it still didn't work properly 100%. The mini fridge in the room made a really loud buzzing noise, so instead of using it to keep drinks cold, we left it unplugged just to get some sleep at night.
Since bedbugs are more common nowadays, I checked the bed before laying in it. Bedbug free, but on the mattress where my head would be was a stain about a foot long and 4 inches wide of something brown (either old dried blood or wine spill I'm guessing). Disgusting! Since the sheets didn't fit the bed properly it was visible at night, so I tried to sleep in the middle as much as possible. The pillows sucked...too soft and it forms around your head, so it basically feels like you're laying completely flat.
The shower pressure was good, but the water temperature was not. I like my showers to be warm...not cold with a touch of warmth. Breakfast in the morning was good, but it was really hard to find a table to sit at. We would eat standing up or took it to our room instead.
Oh, did I mention that the internet plug that was in our room wasn't accessible because I guess the previous guest pushed to hard when putting the cord in and pushed too hard so we couldn't plug it into the wall. The room key didn't work either on our 3rd night, so we had to get a replacement for that as well. Parking isn't free either, so whether you park at the actual hotel or in the lot out back, expect to pay $12 a night.
Before we left we made sure to leave the comment card at the front desk. Seeing as we haven't received a call back, I'm guessing they read it and tossed it so they're manager couldn't see it. So much for staying at a hotel that gives you a 100% guaranty. I know they said that if you're not 100% pleased w/ your stay then you'd get reimbursed, but we'd settle for half of our money back. Like I said, the hotel was okay, but the room was what made it unpleasant.
Savannah, GA on the other hand...beautiful city and so much too do!! The Savannah Tenors were great...go see'em!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton BCH
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is a great hotel and the staff is so kind and energetic! They can assist you with any request. I would like to say "Hats off for a job well done by Dan Mulder, Concierge at this Hampton Inn!" He went over and beyond to assist me and my sister with tickets to the "Old Savannah Tours of the City, A Tour behind the Scenes at the Savannah Theater and walking maps for city adventure. Thank you so much for making a special trip for me and my sister!!!
I would reccommend the Hampton Inn and Suites, Dan Mulder, Linda Kloog-Harris, Director of Sales for the Savannah Theater, Tripp the mini coach driver for the tour and Sheldon, performer at the Savannah Theater and back stage tour, And for sure Forest Gump, a special thank you to you all. We will be back to Savannah again... we flew Vision Airlines direct from (VPS) Destin FL. The flight time was 1 hour and 5 minutes. Great trip!! Sherry and Marilyn..

Room Tip: request a room on the 1st floor close to the pool
  • Stayed May 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed 4 nights - staff was wonderful - very friendly and helpful - one employee named Brian was the best. He went out of his way to be helpful. He made our stay very pleasant. Our room was great - clean - no problems at all. There is a hot breakfast - they have coffee available 24 hours and cookies in the afternoon and evening. Parking was $8 a day and it was available on the property or their lot across the street. The hotel is in a great location - close to the Dot (free transportation) You are within walking distance to shops, city market and other historic sites- it was not that far of a walk to River St. Should we come back to beautiful Savannah we would definitely stay at The Hampton Inn & Suites on MLK Jr. Blvd.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Angela31328, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your positive review. And, congratulations again on your wedding! Please let me know if there is anything else at all that we can do for you and your new husband. We would love to see you again soon!
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2011

For the second year in a row, we brought out photo workshop group to Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District. The rooms were clean and airy, the breakfasts up to par, and the service impeccable, helpful, and gracious. For a hotel that is not in the highest category, this is a real best buy.

We were so pleased that we are bringing our group there again next April.

Just a short walk away are a plethora of great restaurants as well as the more common variety. Very convenient, and there is parking onsite.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business