“Great hospitality, and great value!! I want to go back again!”

The Confederate House
Ranked #21 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Colleen Williams is a real doll, and a natural at running her bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a wonderful sit down meal with Colleen and other interesting guests who came to visit Savannah. The rooms are large as was the bathroom. I had a great time.

The B&B is closely located to the downtown historic district, and I walked back and forth each day with no trouble. (For me, a car was an option that I did not need.)

A caveat: This is an old house, and some people will have a problem with uneven floors and other issues that are inherent with an old building. I love the B&B experience because I get to meet local folks and rather than visit an old home for half an hour, I get to stay in it during my vacation. However, others who prefer sleek hotels and granite countertops will not appreciate the B&B experience.

With that caveat, I would recommend the Confederate House Inn for anyone staying in Savannah. In my next trip to the city, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Confederate House. The location is perfect for walking any place in the historic downtown Savannah area and the free bus transportation originates only a short walking distance from the house on Hall St. Mrs. Williams is a gracious hostess and we enjoyed our stay in her lovely old home. We enjoyed our breakfast and the opportunity to meet and visit with some very nice guests from other parts of the country. Our room was lovely and we certainly enjoyed the lovely, sunny common area where guests could share conversation and coffee at any time during the day. Thank you, Coleen, for sharing your home with us.
Dave and Loraine Carruthers, St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Room Tip: Our room which was the middle room was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My Wife and I spent two nights with Mrs Williams mid April 2013. The house is right on the Park so you have a lovely drive in and a great place to walk and relax right outside! Mrs. Williams greeted us and throughout out time there she regaled us with stories of her time in Savannah. She has led a fascinating life and it is nice to hear about the city from someone that has spent so much time here. Now for my review of the place. :-)

**Warning** If you do not do well with stairs, you might not want to stay here. you climb what in most homes is the equivalent of a flight of stairs just to get inside. then with @15' ceilings, the walk to the second floor where your rooms are is a long way up. This did not bother my wife or I but it is something I do think people should be aware of.

Be sure to take a look on the left as you go in the front door and see the picture of the place when Mrs. Williams took ownership. It is amazing the job she has done to make this a beautiful place! The first floor is a large open area where you can relax and where breakfast is served each morning. Our breakfasts were nothing fancy, but they were delicious and we enjoyed some down home southern cooking! Breakfast is served at 9AM, family style where all the guests sit around one table. This is different from some places we have stayed, but we enjoyed meeting the other people staying at the B&B and Mrs. Williams eats with you and keeps the conversation going. On the second floor is a nice sitting area with some books and lots of literature about the area. It is a great place to sit and decide just what you will do for the day. Mrs. Williams brought us fresh brewed coffee and we had some wonderful cake as we relaxed here. All three rooms open off of this common area. I only saw the room we stayed in (General Lee) and it was a large room with a HUGE bathroom. Again you have 15' ceilings on the second floor as well. Our bed was a King sized bed that you literally had to climb into! it was comfortable and the room was clean. on one night we had a bad storm roll through. I woke up partway through the storm and was amazed at just how little of the storm noise made it into the room. On one night all three rooms were occupied (one by a couple on a romantic get-away) and when we were in our room we could not hear anything from any of the other guests. the room was very quiet and felt private. There is a small parking lot out back for her guests as well. The second floor is under its own 'Zone' for AC and Mrs. Williams pointed out where the controller was and warned us that the bedrooms normally stay a little cooler than the common area. We were comfortable both nights. I did hear another guest complain one morning that her room was cold, but we had no issue. Mrs. Williams went out of her way to make sure that if we had any issues to simply call her and she would do what she could. Overall I would recommend the place to others so long as they were comfortable with the stairs. Remember, when you stay here you are staying in someone's home and we felt right at home here! We stayed in Hotels for the rest of our trip and certainly missed the nice touches of the Confederate House.

Thanks!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daweb
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I call to inquire about a room and the owner was wonderful. Although we were not able to stay with them because we have a 2 yr old and no B&B in Savannah will take children that young because people at B&B's want to relax without listening to someones child screaming and running around. LOL The owner was very willing to help me find another hotel to stay at. She let me know where the undesirable sides of town were and where the hotels were that took children and were in a good part of town. My husband and I will defiantly be staying at The Confederate House after his next deployment!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

First let me say we have stayed at several other B&B's over the years, and have had all positive experiences. We are laid back, and try to be easy to please with food and accomodations. Upon arrival Lady Colleen escorted us in and had us sign our visa receipt. She offered us yummy homemade brownies and coffee that was good. There was a music festival going in across the street and it was hard to even talk to each other. I wish we had been warned that this would be going on, as it happens every year and was a planned event. Lady Colleen reported there was often loud events going on at Forsythe Park across the street and that she just waits it out until 11pm when the city makes them shut down. I am glad we weren't trying to go to sleep as that would have been impossible. Lady Colleen tried to explain to us what was around us, but she was, well, difficult to follow, or keep up with her train of thought. Lady Colleen is, well, eccentric and some of her stories didn't make alot of sense to either of us, even my hubby who is very much a people person. Then we were escorted to our room, which was freezing, even though the common area was comfortable. There seemed to be some disparity in the temperatures and one control for all three of the bedrooms upstairs and the common areas which seemed to stay at very diffierent temperatures. The house was beautiful, but very sparsely decorated and the hubby and I both noticed the floors really needed to be vacuumed/cleaned. There was hair on the tablecloths. Trying to sleep that night, I could hear cars driving by outside our window all night. It is just a loud place to stay and on a busier street. Both nights I fell asleep listening to cars going by etc.. The breakfast was underwhelming. One course, consisting of canned fruit and one morning 'quiche' that genuinely seemed to be just undercooked eggs, and biscuits (yummy biscuits and jam). The other morning it was sausage gravy and biscuits, which was decent but some had a hard time eating due to it being very, very spicy, there was orange juice served both mornings. Lady Colleen shared some lengthy personal stories at breakfast and other times that just didn't help the experience. I woke up with the sun in the morning unfortunately because the shades didn't fit the windows and the daylight streamed straight in on us even though we had hoped for a dark, quiet room to sleep in for a change. The water pressure was weak, but that was no big deal. Speaking of water, I drank water out of the tap in the sink in our room with a cup we had brought, would have loved to see another option. There are large flat screen tv's in the room but there are only a few channels accessible and we literally had choices between home shopping network, stations selling fitness equipment, and city council meetings. Neither my hubby nor I could find anything we even remotely wanted to watch, or even listen to while getting ready to go places or winding down before bed. Honestly, we won't stay here again, nor can we honestly recommend it to others. Not alot of reedeming qualities. Lady Colleen, thank you for your effort, you were kind to us and we appreciate that! We wish you all the best and leave the review in the spirit of honesty and with all respect and kindness. Best wishes to you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank michelle s
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

I remember this couple from the moment they came in they were complaining first about the music festival in the park and it seemed nothing I did could please them or make them happy. As for the food we buy our meat at Fresh Market it is a very nice upscale market nobody ever complained about it before By the way when we saw she did not eat her breakfast we offered to make her something else and she said no. In the winter we serve caned fruit from Dole because I will not serve fruit from other countries. The fruit is served in champagne glasses with two or three different types. There are matching large cut glass water glasses we fill with orange juice. The food is served on china. As for hair on the table since it was where she was sitting and it was a difficult job cleaning the bathroom with hair she shed perhaps the hair she saw on the table was her own hair? I think she is very wise not to come here to stay in the city since the city noises seem to upset her. As for me being eccentric maybe she meant the stories about Savannah are not what you would find in most cities but after all isn't that why people come here to see something different than where they live? All we can do is do our best to make the guests happy and comfortable but we can not make everyone happy all the time. I t's just part of the business. My heart goes out to this girl I wish we could have brought some happiness into her weekend

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I called regarding a potential reservation. The lady who answered asked our budget range. I felt my quote was on the lower end and apologized explaining "I am married to a student." She replied condescendingly, "Well, that's your choice." When I mentioned we also had a baby she crisply replied,"I can't help you." End of conversation. I'm glad her rude demeanor on the phone saved us from staying there. We will take our business elsewhere!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank L J
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

This lady called and told me how her husband was a medical student and how he had been a student since 2005 and how long he was a student. I explained to her we some times have special of $100.00 plus tax during the week. She wanted to pay less than $100.00 plus tax a night for a room that normally goes for from $200.00 to $249.00 plus tax. She told me they have a baby there was nothing I could do to help her. People come to a bed and breakfast usually to get away from their children for a few days not to hear somebody else's baby crying. It would not be fair to the other couples to bend the rules so she could have her way and bring a baby here when in the 13 years we have had the b&b open nobody else was allowed to bring their baby . I understand she was probably disappointed she could not come and bring her baby. and that is why probably why she posted such a review. She and her husband are always welcome to come and enjoy our home with us. Lady Colleen Williams. The Confederatehouse.com 1-800-975-7457

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My fiancé took me to Savannah for my birthday last weekend. We stayed at the Confederate House. Lady Colleen (the Owner and very gracious host) made us feel welcome and comfortable from making our reservation until the moment we departed. We stayed for three nights with the Midnight package. We stayed in the most beautiful room with most amazing view of Forsyth Park. Lady Colleen had a wonderful southern breakfast ready for us each morning promptly at 9AM. She assisted us with dinner and city tour plans. We truly enjoyed every moment in the Confederate House and with Lady Colleen. We will definitely be back to Savannah and would not stay anywhere besides the Confederate House. Thank you, Lady Colleen, for everything and being so wonderful to us! You made our first visit to Savannah a memorable one!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank-you for your kind words they are very much appreciated. You are always welcome to come again. Lady Colleen Williams