“No Southern Hospitality” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
MD
“No Southern Hospitality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

I'm not sure where to start. Take your own light bulbs, only 5 out of 11 lights worked and our hostess would not provide more. Take tissues, she won't give you any.Bring your own bar soap and shampoo. We didn't see our hostess for 2 days after we arrived. We had a 12 hour power outage and weren't offered so much as a candle. She never came to tell us there were tornado warnings and severe weather warnings. She likes to share her drama but isn't very concerned with your comfort.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no hospitality
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
10 Thank akitasrule
3699, owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, March 26, 2008
This lady was something else we all tried to stay out of her way no matter what we did for her she made life uncomfortable for everyone around her to the point people were asking when she was leaving. We had no warning of a tordardo the lights in the entire city went out which had not happened in the 33 years we have lived here nobody was giving out any information it was scary for everyone as the rangers who went to the middle east came from Fort Hunter here in Savannah we did not know what we were dealing with not only Chatham county but three other counties were in a state of total darkness.The lights went out a little after 9 PM and did not come back on until a little after 9 AM. In our private living quarters there is a gas stove in the kitten so we cooked on that and brought the food up to the dining area so the guest would have a hot cooked breakfast. and she later complained about that. The bathrooms have 3 different kinds of sop for the guests and body lotion,we also provide free bottled water and soft drinks for the guests with coffee, cookies and candy 24 hours a day. the guests are well feed and provided for here that is why we have repeat business. After staying here 4 nights she sent us a nasty letter caomplaing about the workmanship of the carppenters wh did our house over for us and said i should not have paid them. We used union carpenters ant the union formed a special crew of forman and master carpenter to work on this house. they did a beautiful job. She also wanted her money back for all 4 nights that she stayed here. if it was so bad she should have looked at the room and not stayed. She and her husband told me when they checked in this economy has hit his business. if the cash flow for them is so bad they should not be traveling and expect to get their money back after staying somewhere 4 nights. No hotel in this country gives a refund after you have stayed there 4 nights and neither do we. She did not ask for arefund until after she got home. There were no tornados in this area a power plant in a different county was hit by lighting and we found out that supplied the electric to all four counties.This house did have emergency lighting .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

From the time I booked my stay over the phone, I was just amazed with the warmt and friendlyness of the staff. When we arrived late that night, we were welcomed and directed to our room. It was our first wedding anniversary and the staff treated us like royalty! I was even asked what I wanted for breakfast. I had just gotten on a restricted low carb diet and the lady of the house still went ahead and made me a specialized plate so i would not cheat on my diet. every morning, she would have breakfast with us and give us the best tips on where to eat, where to go and how to make the best of each day. Good customer service is very hard to find these days but everything was excellent. Let me not forget to mention how clean and neat everything was. In all, it was a wonderfull place to stay quiet and cozy and was an excellent experience for our first bed and breakfast. We could not have picked a better place to stay.

• Liked — Great customer service and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ljeudy
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

My wife and I were scheduled to spend a couple of nights at The Confederate House. Unfortunately, she took a bad fall while hiking back from Rainbow Falls in the Great Smokeys NP and we had to cut our vacation short. The folks at The Confederate House gave us a credit for one night and refunded the second night. We appreciate thier Southern understanding and look forward to a future visit.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank MO75Alabama
LULING
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2007

I did not stay at the Confederate House. I left.

I researched the internet before planning my vacation to Savannah. I wish now, I had found trip advisor before my trip instead of after.

As luck would have it, my drive did not take as long and I arrived a day earlier. I did not have a room booked so I called the Confederate House. Upon arrival, my fiancee and I were shocked. This was not the same place on the internet. The internet is a great tool but it can be deceiving. We decided not to stay.

I can not say it enough!!! Read all the reviews. It will give you a better picture of the owner, Colleen, and her business ethics. I was forced to take my dispute to Visa and WON. Now, I am receiving harrassing telephone calls and intimidation tatics from the owner. They are horrible. Hard to believe anyone could say such cruel things. I am now forced to seek legal representation to make it stop. I'm am thankful she's in a different state.

BE CAREFUL! Study trip advisor and the Confederate House website. I can not speak for the what the inside of the Confederate House is like I can tell you there are many embellishments that I saw.

Stayed June 2007
15 Thank MRSHARLEY
3699, owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, March 23, 2008
I would not waste my time believing what is in this review after all as he himself said he was never in this house. Being in business I get to meet all kinds of people. Some you become friends with and others it is peasure seeing them come and a pleasure seeing them go. Life goes on. Any way come and stay at our bed and breakfast and deceide for yourself.
Mid-Atlantic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, and if it weren't for the fabulous biscuits and cozy bed, we would've checked out and stayed somewhere else.

Upon walking in, the inn was huge, sparsely decorated (um...not modern either) and yes, the tile floor looked like something from the 70's. Almost vinyl looking brown parqay (sp?) tile. There was a disturbing painting on the wall of her son, again, circa 1970, and it was located right near the breakfast table so you had to stare at it while you were eating. It was very pale and ghostly like, and just, well..sorry but strange and outdated.

Unfortunately, what many of the negative reviews say is true. The hostess, C.W., is indeed a bit eccentric. As soon as we sat down at the table she immediately began telling us sob stories about running the B & B, how difficult it is (please! immediate intimacy is NOT ever appropriate with guests--especially paying guests!!), and yes, how it had burned down to the ground several times. Very discomforting and strange way to start our day. The breakfasts, though, were very good. The biscuits were some of the best ones I have EVER had! And there was honey to put on them...mmm! There was only one day where it lacked--and according to the hostess, none of the kitchen staff showed up (a domestic abusive boyfriend issue, and how she didn't want him showing up at the inn!!!). More sob stories. Two mornings, the other guests were so upset by her behavior and stories, that one of the ladies practically burst out crying how she just wanted this to be a drama-free vacation, as it would be one of the last ones she would be taking her elderly parents on as they were aging, etc. Very sad!

As far as our room was concerned, it was cozy. The bed was well-appointed and the plasma tv was nice. The bathroom door handle (a large, brass kinda deal) flew off the first time I opened it, and shattered into three pieces. The roller shades kept crashing down from the palatially-sized windows, as I tried to close them. When I asked the hostess to bring up a ladder, she asked why I was closing the roller shades? I said, because we want privacy! She said, the place next door is vacant, and there are curtains on this window (day sheers!), nobody will see you. Can you BELIEVE?? My husband and I were like, uh...something isn't quite right. But we had a good sense of humor and assured her we would "be careful".

The website claimed there are homemade cookies, cakes, tea, and beverages set out for the guests every night. The first night, there were packaged treats such as dinner mints and "Hostess" type snacks. After the first or second night, the hostess mentioned the other guests (same ones who complained about her) "took too many", so she wouldn't put them out again til' after they checked out (3 days later!!!). Ugh! Again, very strange, inhospitable and just overally untruthful. If you say you are going to provide it, provide it. If you can't "get to it" go to Kroger's, get some cookies, get some cakes from the nice bakery on Broughton Street, and put out some teabags, lady. If you still can't provide it, take it off your website and stop telling your guests when they check in what to expect. And no excuses. These "little" inconveniences put a damper on our trip. Luckily, Savannah MORE than made up for the oddities at The Confederate House. Savannah is just an amazing, beautiful, graceful place!!!

Finally, my husband and I were so weirded out, when it was time to check out we just politely said our goodbyes and packed up the car. That was that.

I feel that people should have a thick skin if they want to stay at the Confederate House. If you aren't bothered by any of the above situations, you will do just fine here.

Good Luck!

• Liked — bed and biscuits!
  • Disliked — manner of the hostess, lack of adequate follow through on nightly refreshment service
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
9 Thank savannah_lovers02
3699, owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, August 13, 2007
I think perhaps this guest may have us confused with another inn on some of the things mentioned. Yes, we do have a portrait of my son and myself done when he was a child and I am holding him how this can be disturbing to anyone is beyond me. This room is furnished in French Provencial Louis V and VI. When you have a larger room the proper way to decorate it is by doing small seating areas around the room you do not bunch everything togather or it would look cluttered. I sorry they were not happy here but I have found people who are happy with themselves are happy anywhere and vise verse. This is just my opion.
fayetteville, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

My husand and I visited Savannah for the first time in July, 07 and we stayed at The Confederate House, I choose this B and B because it is across from Forsythe Park and after calling I was offered a good rate. This is a large home with three floors (no elevator)....beautifully done on the inside. There was a beautiful great room upon entering and our room was on the 3rd floor. Our bedroom was very large, had a big, comfortable bed, walk-in closet, 2 wing-back chairs and a 42" TV mounted above the faux fireplace. The bathroom was very large and both bedroom and bath were spotlessly clean. Breakfast every morning was very good...we especially enjoyed Miss Colleen's Stuffed French Toast...scrumptious! Coffee, water, sodas and cake were available 24 hours a day. Miss Colleen was very nice and we enjoyed our 3-day stay very much.

• Liked — lcleanliness of room and bath
  • Disliked — stairs (I am out of shape:)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

We enjoyed our stay at the Confederate House. At first we were a bit put off, as it is at the far end of historic Savannah. However, it is across from Forsythe Park which is a great place to jog or walk for exercise. From the outside, it looked very old and in need of work, but as soon as we walked in all was good. The parking is in the back and very convenient. It is well lit when you come in after dark. The place was spotless. Very clean. The hostess was nice and gave us info when we asked. Though it is on the far edge of downtown, it is an easy walk to the middle of the city. There is always cake, coffee, tea, sodas and water on the first floor available to guests.

Our room was large and spotless. the bed was very comfortable. It had a large closet. (side note: they do need to add hangers for pants. they had plenty of padded hangers--a very nice touch--but no hangers for pants). The plasma TV was fun when you wanted to watch. i also enjoy the divan that was outside our room in the hall foyer. it rained one afternoon for a bit and i laid on the divan for an hour or so and read and napped. the Bathroom was spotless. I would have liked to have 2 large towels per person instead of just one and it does need more towel racks as there is no place to hang towels once you use them. also, i was surprised that the cups were styrofoam. it would have been a nice touch to have nicer cups in the bathroom.

Breakfast is served beautifully. lovely china and silver. It is nice that the hostess eats breakfast with you. the food was OK..nothing great. very generic-mediocore OJ and ok eggs or pancakes. nothing special but adequate. i did enjoy though that there was fresh fruit each day.

An added bonus is the hotel that is located next door to the confederate house. It is a five star hotel. ( i think it is called The Mansion). they have a great jazz bar and it was wonderful to go there, have a few drinks and walk next door to our room.

• Liked — spacious clean room and location was good.
  • Disliked — food for breakfast can use improvement
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple