“Bed and Breakfast Hits a Home Run”

The Confederate House
Ranked #22 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Bed and Breakfast Hits a Home Run”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We traveled to Savannah primarily to rest, relax, see the squares, and walk the historic district. We chose The Confederate House Bed and Breakfast at 808 Drayton Street, Savannah, GA 31401. It is within walking distance of the historic district, and turns out to be a trove of history within itself.

This antebellum house built in 1854 was a museum for the Daughters of the Confederacy during the 1950’s, and is one of Savannah best examples of Greek revival architecture. It looks out over Forsyth Park in downtown historic Savannah.

This inn won the award as the most romantic inn in the city for 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008.

The Lady of the House told us stories that held our attentions, and suggested places to see and experience that added a touch of southern hospitality that seemed to fit perfectly with the charm of the house and its surrounding.

Our stay was delightful, and we would go there over and over again.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the Lady of house give you guidance about the area and the city. It is great plus...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DSStephens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just what a peacefull place,right across the street from a wonderful park. The breakfast isn't cereal and milk the hostess prepared a wonderful home cooked meal,beds are very comfy and well what can i say other than just amazing.

• Stayed September 2012
Lake City
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Never would I have expected such royal treatment at such a popper price. Huge Huge Huge beautiful rooms with very tasteful time specific furniture in all the right places so as to not take away from the beauty that the home already possesses. My suite was so spacious, I was winded walking to the bathroom : ) but also because I would run ninety to nothing having to remind myself that I was not still on the beautiful Sorrell-Weed House ghost tour, but yes, the House possess that extra element. And the breakfast...wow! The owner of the house, Mrs. Williams, was so nice and courteous and was such a gracious host. This is my first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast and I absolutely loved it! I will definitely stay again. I would highly recommend staying at The Confederate House in Savannah Georgia!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ckmorchid
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 20, 2012

As southern as southern gets! The Confederate Inn had everything this Yankee hoped for when visiting Savannah in April, 2012: afternoon tea\coffee\cake, homemade breakfasts, a large and welcoming foyer, and large bedrooms.

The bedrooms were well kept and reminded one of a day gone by. While the fireplaces are no longer used, the room was more than adequately ventilated.

And that part of Savannah being haunted? You bet it is. There was no way that that my toothbrush and toothpaste “fell” to the floor without a little help! We believe our ghost was more prankster than ghost and wanted to give us a little welcome of his/her own!

While the Confederate Inn might benefit from a coat of paint and a bead of caulk (definitely needs new towels as well, ours were rough and worn out!) there is every reason to stay!

B&B’s are very expensive in Savannah. $195/night, with a three-night minimum stay, was common. As Ms. Williams said to other hosts about their $195+ per night room cost, “Dear, they don’t want to buy the bed, they only wish to sleep in it!” For $110 (tax included) we were treated to breakfast, afternoon tea, and a great neighborhood (overlooking Forsyth Park, a short 10-15 minute walk to River St., well, as if a person could walk directly anywhere in Savannah without stopping to admire the many plazas, parks, and squares on the way to the river).

While I obviously can’t compare, I do wonder what more could have been provided. Ms. Williams is a lovely host, I recommend her and the Confederate House with neither hesitation nor reservation, and thank her for her hospitality.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Chicago_FJR
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank-you for your review the house did need some touch up painting and it has been painted the towels have been replaced. The house may be a bit interesting but what house in Savannah over 150 years old did not at some time have somebody die in it. That was so kind of you to say we are as southern as southern gets that is the highest compliant you could have paid me and I truely appreciate it. You all come back any time you will always be an honored guest here in our home The Confederat house. Lady Colleen Williams
Hell, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The location is great; across the street from Forsyth Park and we got a decent deal on how much we paid per night. We parked our car and wlaked everywhere and enjoyed the charm of Savannah. Nothing personal against Lady Colleen but we attempted to have a breakfast conversation with some other guests and Lady Colleen kept monopolizing the conversation. I have some similar political views and she even scared me.

We were there in the spring and the house was way too warm. Our bedroom was about 80 degrees and there wasn't any way to open a window to let in some cooler air or to turn the heat down. The old saying about heat rising and a 2nd floor bedroom = poor sleep. We also didn't care for the set time of 9:00 to eat breakfast and would much prefer a breakfast time that was more flexible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank trbeer
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I remember this couple their daughter called and made the reservation for tthem. I came and found them sitting in their room a one afternoon with the door proped open and they had been drinking or they had someone else's empty bottles around the room. She replied they were hot and I asked her why don't you turn the air down and pointed to the control for the air unit ? I then walked her over to the control unit and showed her how to move the lever to have it cooler in the room. As for breakfast they seemed a bit late coming down that was their decision. They made no indication at checkin when I told them what time breakfast was served they wanted a different time. When I have guests who just sit and look at each other it is up to me to keep the conversation going which is not always easy to do. My politacal view points are much as my view points on life if something does not work you don't do it again. I'm so sorry you were not happy here but maybe now that your home and in your own home and bedroom you will be happier I hope so. I wish you only the best in the future. Lady colleen Williams
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Lady Colleen was a fantastic host! The room was nice and cozy and the location of the inn was ideal for a weekend in historic savannah. Lasy Colleen accomadated our friend with only a coupel of hours notice!! We can't say enough good thinigs about our trip. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amber D
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I thoroughy enjoyed our weekend stay in this house. Lady Colleen was more than accomodating and very friendly. She spoiled us with yummy deserts and delish breakfasts. Forsyth Park and the free (DOT) shuttle are both right there at the house. The price was great and the customer service was exceptional! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple