“Feeling like home in Savannah”

Armstrong Inns Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Feeling like home in Savannah”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

A wonderful accommodation at the edge of the historic district. Convenient to park the car once and then walk everywhere. The apartment-like units with wonderful kitchen and sumptuous breakfast pastries/sweets/bagels along with afternoon treats makes you feel like home. I've never slept on such a comfortable bed with down mattress and pillows. We took advantage of an off-season half price special which made it a value, though at full price would not be in my personal price range.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
NC
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My daughter and I stayed in the Garden Suite and it was absolutely wonderful! I have never stayed anywhere that was as nice, plush and clean as this! Can't say enough about the bed! It was like sleeping on a cloud. The service was impeccable and the staff and owners were great. The location was perfect and I will definitely stay in any of the Armstrong Inn suites again if I am ever back in Savannah!

• Stayed June 2009
Atlanta
Reviewed July 20, 2009

3 of my friends and I stayed at the Jenkins house and simply loved it. We only wish it was more central but it was by no means far off. We drove to bay st. and parked there fr super cheap in order to tour the city by foot. The Jenkins House cozy and beautiful and afforded as much comfort. The beds were plush and everything was spotless when we arrived. We enjoyed the fresh baked goods for breakfast (The croissants were especially delicious) and the brownies were a special treat. We are so glad we stayed at the Jenkins house and if we return the only other place we would stay is another Armstrong Inn location in order to try out something different but be guarnanteed the same comfort and impeccable service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I had to come to Savannah recently for a week-long business trip. Generally, I stay at a larger hotel on Brougthon Street (the "Main Street" of Savannah) but they were unable to accomodate me for the entire week. A friend suggested I check http://www.armstronginns.com and I am so glad I took their advice! I am a convert! The individualized attention was amazing. There is a standard of excellence with Armstong Inns that is without peer. The attentiveness and thoroughness of the staff was amazing. I was even able to bring my dog on this trip! In fact, the woman who cleaned my suite daily played with my dog each time she came which was great as I was in meetings all day each day. The nightly rate is astonishing when you consider all you get. In addition to a beautiful and uber-convenient location, upon arrival I discovered a bowl of fresh fruit, pastries, croissants, bagels, raisin bread, muffins, wine, cheese, candy and sherry (all of which is replenshied daily upon request). I will certainly stay at any of the Armstrong Inns for all my future visits.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ShielaFaxton
Atlanta
Reviewed April 12, 2009

What an amazing place! We stayed at the Chatham Suites on Chatham square. Built in 1854 with a million dollar view of the square. There were five of us for a week long stay and stayed on all three floors. The house an be rented as one unit or be split can be rented separately. Noise could be an issue if you're on the ground floor and have noisy guests above. The girls stayed on air mattresses while we slept in the "princess bed." It was a beautiful BnB with every detail looked after. Spent the first hour taking pictures before it was "lived in." Sweet treats to eat as well as croissants, bagels, coffee cake and cheese to eat for breakfast. The have little glass bowls of cream cheese, several types of jam, all individually wrapped and labeled, nice touch. Sherry to drink each night as well wine. It pained me to leave the house each day to tour Savannah. I found myself, each morning, languishing in bed or over tea and sweets. Our host, Monique, was a delight, offering nice places to eat and things to do. Promptly at 10 am, guest services would phone and ask if there were any special request. Try the home made fruit salad and the cranberry bran bread, to die for. Each room has a journal where past guest write a brief description of their stay and things to see and do. A great read with wonderful tips. I love the fact that a newlywed couple left a slice of wedding cake in the freezer for their return trip on their first anniversary. There is no down side, charming, quaint, BnB. If the house were for sale, I would have signed the papers already.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Armstrong Inns really should be rated more highly on here than what they are. I'm hoping this review will give them credit where credit is due. If you want the privacy of your very own beautiful home with breakfast and desserts delivered to you, then this is your place! We stayed at the Dresser Palmer House for night one of our stay just so we could gather info about Savannah before heading off on our own. If I knew what I know now, we would have stayed with Armstrong the whole trip.

Armstrong apparently is comprised of different houses. We stayed in the Tatnall House (10-15 min walk from river), which is a 2 bedroom, one bath house. Since it was just my husband and I, we just stayed in one bedroom. If you need to use both, you just pay extra. We stayed in our own house for about the same as the nice B&B rooms, perhaps even for less than a few charged. This was seriously a great deal!

Breakfast is there when you arrive and consists of bagels. crossiants, fruit etc... There is also a seperate (yum!) plate of sweets such as homemade brownies, danishes and chocolate chip cookies. Wine and cheese is left as well. If you run out of any milk, juice, bagels etc..., all you do is call and they will drop more off the next day. They also provide daily maid service. The breakfast was plenty for us.

The Tatnall House: It is as it is pictured on the web site. It has an exposed brick kitchen, outdoor, private courtyard, upteen fireplaces, a beautiful dining room, nice living room, and more than adequate bedrooms. I only have 3 complaints: The bed was a bit awkward for me because I have never slept on a feather mattress and would generally prefer high count cotton vs. slippery silk sheets. My husband, on the other hand, would have us with the same bed at home. I did sleep fairly well in it though, but it would have been better if it were a king sized bed. Second, the water as another reviewer mentioned, does not stay hot for long, but has great water pressure. If you need more than a 10 minute shower, you may get chilly. Also, of concern to some, it is worth mentioning that the only bathroom is upstairs. This was only a bit of a problem for me because I have injuries to both knees. Last, the pilot lights were not lit in the fireplaces. They were not fixed that evening, but Monique (the owner) was very pleasant about lightning them the next day. Unfortunately, the bedroom one failed after 5 mins and they are on a timer with a slightly annoying ticking noise.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, the complaints still did not warrant us dropping our rating to above avg vs excellent. We really enjoyed the details of the house. It wasn't some thrown together house for a renter. It showed pride and genuine care for its guest's comfort. It was a delight to our senses. There were games, china, food, ivy growing on the outside, shaving cream, a folder full of info...I'll let you discover the rest for yourself. I'm a picky person and it is very difficult for me to rate any place with five stars, but this one is deserving. If you like beautiful old homes, Savannah is a great destination for you and Armstrong Inns, at least the Tatnall House is a superb old house to call your home away from home.

• Liked — Beautiful House with a lot of privacy
  • Disliked — shower water got cold too soon for me
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Alberta
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed in the Garden Suite of the Armstrong Inn for 5 nights and completely fell in love with the place. We didn't enjoy Savannah as much as we had hoped, however the Suite definitely made up for it.

Its located in a beautiful area of Savannah, not far from Forsyth Park. The bed was amazing, the art on the walls of the Suite was beautiful, and the staff and owners were wonderful people who were so very helpful.

The kitchen was always fully stocked, and housekeeping always called before coming to make sure they wouldn't bother us if we were in, as well as to see what in the kitchen needed restocking.

The use of a full sized washer and dryer in our suite was extremely handy, as we had been already travelling for a week and were in desperate need of laundry facilities.

Unfortunately we will probably never return to Savannah, but if we were to, we would most definitely stay here again

• Liked — The room ammenties and location
  • Disliked — Small bathroom with no bathtub, shower only
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple