“So good!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A bit hard to find (just follow the smell!), but worth it. I had the brisket plate with greens and mac n cheese. Best BBQ I've ever had!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Difficult to maneuver a wheelchair into. Recommend you try the collards cooked with peanuts and the mustard base cole slaw. They ran out of chicken. We tried pork and brisket. Both good.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We'd made up our mind ahead of time when travelling to Savannah that we'd be searching for delicious, southern BBQ.

Now, as Canadians, this isn't exactly indigenous cuisine we're talking about, so many searches through Tripadvisor, Yelp and Urbanspoon kept bringing us to Angels as an option in this pretty little city.

Was it tricky to find, as mentioned by previous reviewers? Yup, it was. Was it worth every iota of aggravation to do so? Darn tootin'!

My husband went for the special of the day, which was a fabulous pulled pork sandwich. I went with the brisket and 2 sides (greens with peanut and mac'n'cheese).

The food was outstanding, the sauces to try very, very yummy, and while the surroundings were sketchy at best, we didn't care in the least. NUM NUM NUM!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I love Man v Food and almost any other traveling food show. This place was on two of them. It was also in the travel book write-up. I also love a good BBQ. So I told my wife we had to go to Angels BBQ. The husband and wife team could have smiled a little more (southern hospitality). The meats themselves were average. To me there was no flavor to the meat unless you put one of many varieties of sauces they had on it. A great BBQ has fabulous tastes from the marinade, smoke, spice, etc. without any sauce. This meat had no flavor. I love trying "hole in the walls" and "mom and pop" places but this one burst my bubble. I must say however, there mac and cheese and collard greens are to die for.

Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We couldn't find this place the first time but we persevered till we knew where it was. After waiting two days while it was closed and then half a hour because we were too early, we finally got rewarded by being the only ones at their doorstep when they opened so no queues. I wasn't that hungry so we only ordered a pulled pork sandwich to share. I am not a big fan of pulled pork sandwiches as after a few bites the sourness of the sauces usually makes it difficult for me to keep eating. I usually need some cole slaw to help wash it down. But THIS sandwich ....firstly the pork was not slathered with the BBQ sauce; it was also very tender and juicy and the best part was that the slaw was in the sandwich. It was so tasty even without any of the BBQ sauces and not sour at all. With the sauces it was even tastier!!! I also didn't mind the mustard cole slaw. After the sandwich we decided to get a pulled pork platter with slaw and the collard greens to go as we were leaving Savannah that afternoon. I asked for a sample of the collard greens which everyone raved about and they weren't kidding. The few times I've had collard greens it was always mushy and extremely salty and I thought this was how it was supposed to be. No it ain't!!! These people really respect this vegetable and theirs is truly the best I've tasted. The greens still had a nice texture to them... almost like eating kale and that peanut flavour made it so tasty. We had our platter later that afternoon and it was truly outstanding. I'm glad we didn't miss out on trying this place. In my books so far they make the best pulled pork! So don't give up if you can't find them...they are on Oglethorpe LANE which has no road sign. It's a little white building to the left side of the church...if you see the Smith Beauty and Hair sign on the side of one building just head to the lane to the left of it and walk mid way. They don't have a name sign so you can't tell from afar unless they put their yellow BBQ flag out and their small red signboard. Closed on Sun and Mon and open from 11:30am till they sell out. Give it a try!!!