“Great find in Savannah!”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 3, 2006

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Leo35
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed September 24, 2006

Thunderbird Inn overcharged me by $144 based on the rate I booked. Do not trust them. Do not book. They are a scam.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank msh937
Reviewed September 22, 2006

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend. We loved this hotel. It was so cute with the 1960's style furnishings. It was not a place i would reccomend to stay if you're looking for luxury, but for a college student on a budget, it was awesome. It was very clean and the bed and pillows were absolutly the most comfortable i've ever used. The owner was actually nice enough to contact me after i left to let me know when he would be ordering more so I could have some of my own. They were that comfy. The hotel has a great location too. It's right downtown and for $80 a night, what more can you ask for but clean, safe, and quiet? I loved it hear, and if i go back to Savannah I won't go anywhere else. I've stayed at the Hilton in downtown Savannah and don't remember much of anything about my stay (besides their huge lobby), I had way more fun at the little Thunderbird Inn.

Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank GableDodge
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I was relatively surprised at how clean and decent this place was. The hotel had been renovated recently, so everything was fairly new and updated. The non-smoking room we got actually was a non-smoking room (which isn't always the case). The staff was very nice. For the money, we got what we paid for and a little more.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank photojenic
Reviewed September 1, 2006

The Thunderbird is a gem for budget travellers. Its exterior appearance gives no indication of the clean, comfortable rooms that await. The staff were friendly and helpful and gave an extra discount, which we hadn't asked for, because we stayed for more than 3 nights.
The location was handy to the Historic areas and there was a fabulous Japanese restaurant less than 5 mins walk away. We didn't feel unsafe walking home at night, although I probably wouldn't have done it alone. Also within 5 minutes was the visitors centre.
We were aware of morning peak hour traffic but it wasn't too noisy.
Robyn and Glen, Brisbane Australia

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GlenRobyn
Reviewed August 9, 2006

I highly recommend this place. The room was very clean. The bed was wonderful. Mattress and pillows were far above the average hotel kind. The staff at the front desk was very helpful. Easy to get to the shuttles and visitors center. I would definetly stay here again.

2  Thank f40man
Reviewed July 15, 2006

I agree with the other reviews on this site--Thunderbird is a good value for the money, considering how pricey Savannah lodging is. That said, we were a little underwhelmed with the T-bird on our recent one-night stay. I didn't think the beds were all that great-- the mattress was nice, but I hated the huge oversized, firm pillows. Stomach sleepers of the world unite! We need pillows w/ "give," not these overstuffed things that leave one with a crick in the neck. The AC was noisy, and the constant on/off of the fan was a distraction-- once the fan stopped, moreover, we could hear traffic noise from the street. Also, there was so much light seeping under our closed curtains from the parking lot and road, that when I awoke at 3am I thought it was morning already! The bathroom door had a nasty grating squeak, which also wasn't conducive to a quiet sleep.

Overall, once we oohed and aahed over the retro look of the place (and I admit, that neon "Thunderbird" sign is awfully cool lit up at night), it didn't feel that different from a typical evening in a budget roadside motel. I repeat, however, that for $99 on the edge of historic Savannah, we probably got what we paid for. Still a good choice, as long as you're willing to put up with a few inconveniences.

• Stayed: July 2006