“Fun Atmosphere, Great Price”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Augusta, GA
“Fun Atmosphere, Great Price”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I really liked the retro atmosphere and how close it was to the heart of Savannah. I enjoyed a very comfortable room and extremely friendly staff. I was surprised at how affordable it was, and even more so that they didn't skimp on amenities like daily room service. It may not have all the finest upgrades, but it was clean and in a nice area. I do plan on returning to Savannah and reserving a room at the Thunderbird again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank jayd7727

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Georgia
Reviewed July 27, 2009

The place was conveniently located, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the retro look was there. As much as I want to give these guys a 100%, I just couldn't. The carpet was awful. It had a lot of spots that really did not need cleaning but instead needed changing.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
thunderbird611, Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I too am disappointed you couldn't rank us higher. We are always working hard to have the carpet cleaned and the building looking great. I would love to talk to you about where else you feel we missed the mark. Please feel free to call me anytime to discuss your stay.

Charlotte
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The rooms were great; loved the headboard and bed very comfortable. All the little amenities like travel size toiletries had their logo on them - classy! Coffee cups cute bought 2. Quiet even though across from Bus station. Mini-breakfast very nice but the best part was the staff. Very professional and fun - Nick made our stay perfect - first time to stay here and will definitely be back - within walking distance of great restaurants and uptown Savannah. Thanks guys for making our stay fun and what a way to have your bed turned down with chocolates and maybe get a personal opera in the deal!
Linda and Keith, Charlotte, NC

1 Thank LavCharlotte
Thank you for the wonderful review! I’m so pleased you had a great stay. We are striving to create a memorable experience for all of our guests. Thank you for the kind words!

south Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2009

me and my family stayed just one night at the thunderbird inn.The room was kinda small,air conditioner worked great good for one or two nights to get a good nights sleep.It was very clean.Breakfast was doughnuts and cooffee or juice (this could be better for the price also for the price it would have been nice to have a pool to cool off in.But all and all was a nice place to stay close to everything.would probably stay there again sometime.rate 1-10 this hotel was about an 8.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank welittleladybug
Thank you for taking the time to review our little motel. I agree a pool would be nice; unfortunately, we’re a little short on space to place one! I would love for you to stay with us again. We are constantly improving and trying to ideas to create a great experience.
New York, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed for 1 night at the thunderbird on a road trip from florida to new york. We wanted to see savannah and got this room through hotwire. For wednesday night, got the room for $55 -- $70 after fees and tax. Very happy with that price, compared with $120 without tax for the hampton in that's at the end of the same block.

Thunderbird positions itself as a "hip" hotel, which I guess comes from the 1960s outdoors: big neon sign with marquee, bright orange and blue exterior walls, motel balconies. The rooms themselves show none of this and are surprisingly up to date.

Problem with this hotel is all about service: wireless internet was only available in the hotel office, which contains tables and chairs like a fast-food restaurant. Ethernet access is *free* in the room, but you have to ask for an ethernet cable. Breakfast is *free*, but it's coffee and donuts in the office, and you can't take your coffee back to the room with you. The air conditioners are really beat up on the outside of the rooms, and ours wheezed and barely cooled the room. The furniture is worn and ours was stained.

The people behind the desk are surprisingly unhelpful. In the morning, the person behind the desk was on the phone (his own cellphone) the entire time I was there for breakfast and would put the phone to his chest when I asked a question, as though I was interrupting.

The place isn't centrally located by any means, but you'll be in the outskirts of the historic district in 10 minutes walking. If you want to go to the river (popular and pretty beautiful) make that 20 minutes. Obviously this is faster by car.

In short, I'm glad I got a great price on the thunderbird. And I'm glad I only stayed one night. After checking out other hotels while walking, If you have more $ to spend, I'd recommend the hampton inn at the river (there are 2 in savannah), as they have free breakfast, wireless internet, and are super-centrally located (and $150 on a wednesday night). Still, when hotwire offered me something at 1/3rd the price, I couldn't say no.

1 Thank jaliqua
Let me begin by thanking you for reviewing our property. It is important to me to get the good, the bad and the ugly. Every review is taken very seriously and used as a tool to get it better for our guests.

We want to be a great value. But “value” does not come at the expense of service or cleanliness. The fact that one of my associates allowed you to be an interruption is unacceptable. I will not allow that to happen again.

We do not offer WiFi in our guest rooms. That is something that we are looking into for the future. We do, however, offer a high-speed connection. We do offer complimentary use of Ethernet cables at the front desk.

As far as the doughnuts, coffee, and juice, we do not use disposable plates and glassware because we are trying to provide a better product for our guest as well as do our part to keep Styrofoam out of the landfill. We do allow and encourage our guest to take the breakfast offerings back to their room.

The hotel was restored just a few years ago. There are wear and tear items, like the AC boxes that we work on often to keep from getting beat up. It is the same with the white leather chairs. They are tricky to keep from showing their use, but we don’t let it fall to the wayside. I would love to talk to you further about your stay and what your full impressions were.

Thank you again for giving us a try. I hope the next time you are in the city, you will come see us again.

Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I thought it was great! You certainly can't beat the price and it is within walking distance to the Historic District etc... The staff was nice and very helpful too. I was in town to look for apartments and they went above and beyond by giving me directions and suggesting places that they knew about that were for rent. Shout-out to Mark and Nic and some others whose names I didn't learn. Anyway, I recommend it.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mariacantina
Thank you for the great review! We look forward to serving you again!!
Hackney, London
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at The Thunderbird Inn. I had a great King Size bed, the room had been recently refurbished, was really clean and comfortable with free wifi and I really liked the atmosphere of the place. I didn't have a car and it is a just on the edge of the historic district but don't let this put you off. By this time on my travels I was tired of characterful dingy hotel rooms, this was the complete antidote. I got a fantastic rate booking online and arrived at 8am but they let me check in straight away for the forthcoming night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo